The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Jebb1978

Rear axle flip kit Questions

Hello again fellows,
I am consittering the DJM flip kit and 3" drop spindles. First question is, since I did the shackle kit the truck is sitting level. With the shackles and flip kit is the rear going to end up lower than the front if I do 3" spindles?

Also I am sure this question has come up in the past but, do I need to C the frame for the flip kit? It looks like it sure would be close to me.

Thanks Guys,
Shawn
Old 11-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Rear axle flip kit Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
Hello again fellows,
I am consittering the DJM flip kit and 3" drop spindles. First question is, since I did the shackle kit the truck is sitting level. With the shackles and flip kit is the rear going to end up lower than the front if I do 3" spindles?
Yes. You'll need to bring the front down more.

Quote:
Also I am sure this question has come up in the past but, do I need to C the frame for the flip kit? It looks like it sure would be close to me.
If you run the shackles w/the flip kit it will hit the frame on alot of bumps & dips but you can drive it w/o the c-sections. I highly recommend installing the c-sections because you'll only have 1~1.5" max between the frame & rear end housing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Jebb1978

Question Re: Rear axle flip kit Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Yes. You'll need to bring the front down more.

If you run the shackles w/the flip kit it will hit the frame on alot of bumps & dips but you can drive it w/o the c-sections. I highly recommend installing the c-sections because you'll only have 1~1.5" max between the frame & rear end housing.
1)Okay then how low are we talking? Should I just replace the stock shackle? I don't want to be scraping my cross member on speed bumps. It sounds like this may be lower than I want to go.

2)I was thinking of just cutting out a C in the frame and then welding a piece of pipe in where it was cut out. Are you talking more than that? I don't want the rearend hitting the frame at all. I would do the extra work to keep that from happening. Again, should I just pop those original shackles back on and then flip the rear end? would that make it sit level? If I did would I still hit the frame? Sorry I can't just be simple Scoti, I really do appreciate your help.

I actually emailed my question to truckshop.com and have yet to hear back.

Last edited by Jebb1978; 11-05-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
....Should I just replace the stock shackle? I don't want to be scraping my cross member on speed bumps
My truck has the spindles + a coil whacked off... no crossmember scraping in 3yrs. Has my exhaust or a-arm ever hit? A-arm once, exhaust a couple of times.

Quote:
....should I just pop those original shackles back on and then flip the rear end? would that make it sit level? If I did would I still hit the frame?
A flip kit will typically net about 5-6" of drop (5 leaf spring pack/5"; 8-leaf pack/6"). Take a tape measure outside & measure directly above your axle C/L to the frame. Subtract the 5 or 6" & if the measurement is 2" or less, you want a c-notch.
You already have the shackles so my vote is do the flip kit w/the current shackles. If you want more drop up front.... you can trim the coils. If the drop is too much out back.... swap back to the stock shackles. You won't be spending any more money, just investing a little more effort to get it right. The flip kit by itself has enough clearance to not need a c-notch unless the truck is loaded down.
Quote:
....I was thinking of just cutting out a C in the frame and then welding a piece of pipe in where it was cut out. Are you talking more than that? I don't want the rearend hitting the frame at all....
A simple c-notch like the welded section of pipe you mentioned would work fine. There's no need for anything more because you'd have to start cutting up the bed floor next.

I hope this helps . . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Jebb1978

This helps a lot! Thanks for your time once again.

Is there any chance I could get some pics of your 74 on here to see what we are looking at as far as end result?

Last edited by Jebb1978; 11-05-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #6
corn

Ive got a flip kit & shackles. There is 1 1/2" between the frame & housing. I will be doing a notch on mine before it hits the road but I did jump up & down on it with no shocks & it didnt hit. Im sure a big bump would make it thump pretty good though. Good luck with it...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

It ain't pretty, but this is my truck with 4" in front and a 6" flip in the rear. It is sitting on 255/55/17's.

I recommend getting the C-notch also.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
Jebb1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos
It ain't pretty, but this is my truck with 4" in front and a 6" flip in the rear. It is sitting on 255/55/17's.
Looks pretty to me.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Thanks, but it doesn't look anything near that now....

Looks more like this:
http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/images/enginemock1.jpg
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote