The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Laying out the 72

Hey guys,

My truck is already bagged on 20's (27" tall tires) with air rides control arms and two inch dropped spindles. It lays the crossmember but I think I want to go to the frame.

My Questions are about the front.

I think I'm going to crossmember drop it 1.25 inches to keep stock steering, then Z it 2 inches or so to get that last bit. Will this get the frame down??
Also will I run into problems with the tubular upper control arms and the steering shaft??

Thanks guys,
Ryan
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
fastbagged68

Re: Laying out the 72

Air out your truck and measure how far off the ground your frame is right behind the firewall. I suspect it to be less then 3 inches. Notch your crossmember 1.25 and Z the difference of it. Unless you plan on running bigger tires that will do. Also check what else hangs below your frame rail....ie your trailing arm crossmember, rivets on the frame...

Another thing...if you can't see under your truck to measure the frame jack it up level and put some 4x12 blocks to get it up off the ground 3.5". Hope this makes sense.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is the truck is on jack stands right now. So I was looking for a round about measurement. When I do it I'll drop the crossmember then mount it and measure for the Z.

ANyone have any idea about the steering shaft??
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagd72Chevy
ANyone have any idea about the steering shaft??
My 1.5" xmember drop required 2 swivel joints in the steering shaft. I doubt 0.25" less is going to eliminate that need.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
...jasper...
Account Suspended

XXL Am I reading this correct. You cut and dropped your front crossmember 1.5 inches. And other then adding 2 swivel joints to the steering box shaft, thats all you had to do ? I thought you had to do more. Like maybe re locate the steering box. and tie rods to clear. Your steering does not hit your frame ?
...jasper... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...jasper...
XXL Am I reading this correct. You cut and dropped your front crossmember 1.5 inches. And other then adding 2 swivel joints to the steering box shaft, thats all you had to do ? I thought you had to do more. Like maybe re locate the steering box. and tie rods to clear. Your steering does not hit your frame ?
Correct... well, almost, 1.5" CaptKaos crossmember drop, steering box in stock location, _3_ Borgeson u-joints, and voila.
Attached Images

Last edited by XXL; 11-12-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
...jasper...
Account Suspended

Thanks for the help. Just one other thing. Once when I was at a swap meet I saw a 71 sitting low in the parking lot. I looked under it. And The lower A-frame was bolted up diffrent. The guy was not around so I could not ask. The lower A-frame instead of bolted up by the factory u-bolts to the bottom of the crossmember. There was a plate bolted up to the crossmember were the u-bolts went, then the lower A-frame was bolted up to it. Which let the lower A-frame be on each side of the crossmember and not the bottom. I am sure the reason for this is so the bottom a-frame would be higher off the ground. Is this a bracket that you can buy,or something that has to be made up.
...jasper... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #8
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...jasper...
Thanks for the help. Just one other thing. Once when I was at a swap meet I saw a 71 sitting low in the parking lot. I looked under it. And The lower A-frame was bolted up diffrent. The guy was not around so I could not ask. The lower A-frame instead of bolted up by the factory u-bolts to the bottom of the crossmember. There was a plate bolted up to the crossmember were the u-bolts went, then the lower A-frame was bolted up to it. Which let the lower A-frame be on each side of the crossmember and not the bottom. I am sure the reason for this is so the bottom a-frame would be higher off the ground. Is this a bracket that you can buy,or something that has to be made up.
There's nothing bolt-on that does this... except that there are some who offer pre-mod'd xmembers for this. There are several on the board who've done this mod... do a search or read the giant crossmember thread for lots more info.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:44 AM   #9
lvscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbagged68
Notch your crossmember 1.25 and Z the difference of it.
i was wondering if there is anything that keeps me from just z-ing the frame without notching the crossmember?
lvscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscott
i was wondering if there is anything that keeps me from just z-ing the frame without notching the crossmember?
Do a notch if you need a little.
Do a 'Z' if you need a lot.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #11
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Do a notch if you need a little.
Do a 'Z' if you need a lot.
Actually, if you need a lot, I'd do some of both. With just a Z, you'll be able to get the low-hanging parts on the ground real fast (lower control arms), but you won't be very low visually (relatively speaking, of course... for me, anything that won't stop a golf ball is nosebleed-high )
Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 AM   #12
lvscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Actually, if you need a lot, I'd do some of both. With just a Z, you'll be able to get the low-hanging parts on the ground real fast (lower control arms), but you won't be very low visually (relatively speaking, of course... for me, anything that won't stop a golf ball is nosebleed-high )
actually i like the way my truck looks when it is just about fully aired out. but that doesn't leave much room for suspension travel, so i figure if i z my frame 3-4 inches my ride height should be just about right? i hope.

Last edited by lvscott; 11-23-2005 at 02:52 AM.
lvscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Correct... well, almost, 1.5" CaptKaos crossmember drop, steering box in stock location, _3_ Borgeson u-joints, and voila.
Thanks for the Props XXL! I keep looking for your truck updates, anything new.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote