The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
gregbr
Senoir Member

4wd front axle posi questions

What's the best type posi or locker to use in a 71/72 disc brake Dana 44 front alxe. I plan on installing it in my 67 to add power steering & disc brakes. I already have a Eaton clutch type posi for the 12 bolt rear. This truck would not see much off road action, but I think a 4wd should be 4wd.....in case. How much trouble is it to install yourself?? Thanks, Greg

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
69TowRig

Re: 4wd front axle posi questions

How about a Detroit Tru-Trac? It is an all gear-driven type limited slip, very well suited for front axle and street use.

If you've never installed one, it can be a challenge and expensive if you don't have all the tools necessary. That being said, if you have the time, patience, wallet, and place to do it, it is a rewarding experience. I have set up three differentials so far and they get easier the more I do them.

If you are only doing this one, however, you are probably better off taking it to a shop.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
drink2mny

Stick with a clutch type for the front, especially if you don't see much off road. remeber though driving in 4wd will be a huge difference in the way your steering will react..
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
toroflow

Look for a used Spicer "Powr-Lok" clutch type posi. They can be had on eBay for $150 or so. They are fully rebuildable and are the best, by FAR, clutch type posi EVER made. I have one in the front of my '79 Suburban's Dana 60 front end, and it is great. The unit you will want will need to be a 30-spline, and depending on your current gear ratio, you will need to find either a "fast" case or a "slow" case.
'64 GMC Suburban 4x4
toroflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
gregbr
Senoir Member

Thanks to all. Toroflow that's the kind of info I need to get the right one. I have a 3.73. Does the same posi unit fit both D44 & D60? Greg

Old 11-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #6
CraigS

I would go with a selectable locker like ARB or OX or even SelecTrac electric if they make one for that D44. It's much nicer to be able to UNLOCK the front end if you're driving in ice and actually need to turn.
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The gear driven "Tru-Trac" type units are far more predictable than any clutch posi...especially in a front application. Lockers are for rock crawlers and serious off-roaders, not the street. Lockers are especially hard on axles in lighter duty units, like the Dana 44, it's even worse with big tires and/or high horsepower.

All that being said....this is a very expensive project for "just in case" or "just to be 4 wheel drive" in a truck that will admittedly see very little off-road action. A good posi in the rear and just the fact that the front is pulling (even with an open differential) is plenty for all normal driving in bad weather.
Some people are even against posi units in snow/ice for the rear....having it in the front would just increase this problem.

As has already been said, this is not a job for a first-timer to tackle alone. It requires precision and experience along with some specialized tools.

Bottom line....spend your money on something else for your truck.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
toroflow

If money is no object to you, then you may spend $500+ for an air locker, which operates like an open diff until you need a locker. If $$ is tight, as with most folks these days, then a used Powr-Lok for ~$150 is the best way to go "on the cheap". Tru tracs are good also, I have one in the front of my CJ8 Jeep Scrambler, but they have tiny gears in them, and by design have more things to go wrong with them, and/or break in them thatn say a clutch type posi (Powr-Lok). The 44 and 60 Powr-Loks are DIFFERENT!! and with 3.73 gears you will need what is known as a "fast case" (this slang was derived by the case turning 3.73 times as slow as the pinion (1 time), versus say a 4.56 ratio (slow case) turning 4.56 times as slow as the pinion....get it? Good luck on your decision....and know that my experience is limited to NO snow...so listen to the folks regarding snow if you are in snow.
'64 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
toroflow

One more thing, I am with you "gregbr" on believing that a 4x4 should be just that...I install front and rear posis or lockers in everything I own...I have a crewcab dually 4x4 (the real one with a Dana 60 front end) with a large camper, and go to the sand dunes a few times a year....this rig NEVER sees a 4WD trail, as it is way too large with the camper, BUT, that Detroit locker in the front (and rear) is "piece of mind" so I will NOT EVER get stuck in the sand, even with 3500 pound camper and loaded trailer in tow. Another benefit, I never have to air down my 42" Swampers!! BONUS!!!!
'64 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 11-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
gregbr
Senoir Member

Thanks for all the advice Ken. We see snow maybe once a year, so that's not a big factor. It probably isn't worth the money for me to add posi to the front, I just like the idea in case. Greg

Old 11-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
69TowRig

toroflow what you are referring to with the "slang" terms is the carrier break. Due to the size of the pinion gear the ring gear mounting surface on the carrier has to be physically closer or farther away. 3.73 and down numerically has a different carrier than the 3.92 and up. There are some gear manufacturers that have "thick cut" gears to allow you to install numerically higher ratios (3.92 and up) on the 3.73 and down carrier.

I agree with you and the others about having a "true 4wd" instead of the open diffs. I put a Detroit rear and LSD front in my Nissan, and will eventually do the same to my K5.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Detroit locker in the front (and rear) is "piece of mind" so I will NOT EVER get stuck in the sand, even with 3500 pound camper and loaded trailer in tow.
Don't believe it. Because the day you do get stuck, after breaking the short (passenger side) front axle, the tow bill will be fierce. The "un-stickable" trucks are just stuck far worse when they finally do get stuck. Nothing is un-stickable.

A locker in the front of anything but a dedicated off-roader is dangerous at best. It would render the front axle worthless in winter and there would be no reason (other than bragging rights) to have one. Clutch type posi units are unpredictable in the front too.(Ever hear of "torque steer") If you really have to have something, go with one of the geared units. The point is that it can really do something for you, the others are working against you.

The only up-side of a locker in the front is that it may help you get out of the ditch.........after it puts you in there!?!?!
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #13
70blazerpickup

i agree everything is stickable. if you are worried about wisnter driving and already have a rear posi you will be able to drive along any road without a problem. i took my blazer/pickup out after i got over a foot of snow. i went rigth out into a field. i could stop and go as i pleased and i only have 4wd bald 33s and a rear posi. i do not think a front locker or posi is nesasary if you do not go off road.
70blazerpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
Mudder

I have never had one in the front and probably never will. I used to do a lot of off roading without one and my front never broke like the ones that did have them. The can have you doing doughnuts down the highway pretty quick.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #15
403oldsman

I have a true-trac in my front. I love it. its hard to get stuck, but i have. I have 285 75 r16tire and sometimes a get a bit of problems with a pull if one of my tires is low but other wise you never know its there. On snow or ice I've never had a problem turning. It was easy to install since i had the axles out to do a axle swap from a 75 chevy. I would recommend it to anyone.
Just my $.02
1985 K1500 F5L912 Deutz Power (work in progress) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389561
1963 Oliver 1600 diesel
1956 Oliver Super 88
403oldsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:53 AM   #16
shilo

I had ez lockers front and rear in my cj-7 and loved them. I will install a locker front and rear in any 4x4 that sees dirt. And what are your problems in the snow? i drove mine in the snow in WA all the time and went where others couldnt simply because my front end was getting full traction and theres wernt. I love full locked to 4 wheels. if i had ten differentials in my truck, id have ten lockers installed.