The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

White Face Gauge Question

Below is a pic of my dash, I know it sucks, but it's the only one I have right now. I currently have 3 white face sunpro gages drilled out and installed in my dash and a white face sunpro tach on my column. I would like to purchase a white face gage kit for my truck, but the only one I can find is like this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-72...spagenameZWDVW

It doesn't have the turn signals in the middle like my old "3 gauge" cluster has. Has anyone done this to a 3 gage? Any pics? What "kit" did you buy and how much was it. Thanks guys.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
shelby987

Re: White Face Gauge Question

Thinking about doing a similar setup on my '3 gauge' cluster, going to install 3 gauges (oil/temp/alt) and possibly a fuel if I can find a matching one in the bottom half of the dash, with a tachometer replacing the current fuel gauge.....as for a kit.....no idea....if you have a better pic, I would be interested in seeing what the final product looks like!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
brownk

I also have the three guage setup and I thought I would mount the oil/temp/volt cluster on a hinge under the dash so you can pull it down when you want to see it or hide it under the dash for shows.
brownk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck

Cool ideas guys.

Shelby: I bought a sunpro oil/temp/and alt cluster kit. I think they were 2 1/4 inch gauges. I also bought their 2 1/2" tach and mounted it on the column. I have two gages centered on the right side. If your sitting in the driver seat the tach looks almost like it's part of the cluster (that's why the single gage is off to the left on the left side) I would like to install either a vacuum gage, not sure if sunpro makes one, haven't looked into it yet.

I'll take some better pics when I go back to work on it next weekend.

I really want to do all white face gauges (that was my original plan, just never finished the cluster) but all the kits are for the 5 gauge clusters. It appears the speedo and fuel gages are the same, I'm just concerned with the turn signal and dummy switches in the middle of my dash. Anyone with a 3 gauge does this?
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 11-16-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

I would think you could buy the center white face for w/o a tach and use the gauge housing as a template and mark and cut out the blinker and idiot light openings with an exacto knife.

I bought my dash off ebay from a guy who restores them in TN. I can look up his email if you want. I had a problem with my dash, and he sent me a replacement part right away...he guarantees his work.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck

I don't know how it works. I think you have to paint some of the stuff white and overlay stickers on the rest? Does he sell the white face templates seperate of restored dashes?
Project "On a Dime"
Old 11-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
"67"StepSide

I'm not 100% but I think I saw an ad in classic truck for white face gauge kit for 67-72..... I'll try to find it.
"67"StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

67ChevyRedneck, they recommend painting the inside of the gauge housing white once you have it disassmbled. The gauges actually just have decals on them. I'm sure he'll sale you just the decal or whatever you want. I talked to him on the phone a few times and he seemed like a really nice guy. He has a pretty awesome looking truck with a newer step bed on it also. I'll PM you his email address.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You don't need a decal.
When you take it all apart, there is a large piece that is black. You can see it under the numbers on the speedo, and under the EMPTY and FULL on the fuel guage. That same piece of metal is the one in your center hold. When you talke it all apart, take that piece and paint it white. Then your center not a guage hole will be white.
I would recomend NOT painting the portion that goes around the speedo and fuel guage if it is a driver. the white numbers are hard to read on white metal. They used to include an overlay to put black numbers on the plastic, but they no longer include that. Even so, when they did include it, it looked great durring the day, but you couldn't read it at all at night becouse the black overlay didn't get lit up at all.
When you do this, you will NEED to paint your guages white before the overlays go on. If you do not, they will look like crap. I threw away a speedo and fuel guage becouse I couldn't get the overlay off and the black was showing all over the place, around every cut and even parts of the edges. So after getting 2 more guages (already had on hand anyways) and another 20 bucks for more overlays... I painted it up this time and it looks outstanding.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
chops333

what about aftermarket tach with the other gauges in it ie oil pressure,temp,amp just a thought todd
chops333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
byrd
Union Electrician

The guy is ed7122 on ebay, not quite as nice as mine if you ask me and in no way am I trying to knock his work just pointed out some of the differences. I have solved the old problem with the #'s on the lens by using a different aftermarket lens. Here is a link to one of my auctions,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

and here is a link to one of his,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RESTO...QQcmdZViewItem

it is easy to see the difference imo, and his dashes look ok to me, but I would like to see better pics and closer up to see the dash better.I am also partial to mine own of course and I get into a little more detail when I restore a dash. The lens that I is a huge factor in the look and function to me.

Longhorn is so right about the inner tin, just paint it white and problem solved. I don't paint the gauges white before installing the white faces, as I like the contrast of the black circles around the screws, and you can order the overlay with out those holes for the screws punched out if you ask them not to. Ryan Blackburn is the guy's name and he is a super fellow and always a big help to me.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
67ChevyRedneck

BYRD, where do you get your "aftermarket" lenses and do they make them for the 3 hole cluster? I'm not looking to buy a new cluster, just do my own.

Thanks for all the great info guys, keep it commin.

I've also gone retarded. It's been a while since I tore my dash apart. The numbers for the speedo and lettering for the fuel gauge are ON the lens, correct? AND the turn signal blinker and "generator" are on the lens. SO I guess I need a kit that doesnt have the black lines for the tach? OR can this entire piece in the center be painted white. I THINK my sunpro gauges have orange numbers. Does anyone sell a 3 gage lens with different colors/letters? Black ones would match my SUNPRO gauges. I don't have any problems reading those at night.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but my truck is 2 hours away and I want to "go to town" next weekend when I go to work on it, this being one of the things I want to get doen. I can't exactly go outside and look at my dash before I order a kit. Have to do it all on memory, and for me, that is NOT a good thing
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 11-17-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tiresngas
I would think you could buy the center white face for w/o a tach and use the gauge housing as a template and mark and cut out the blinker and idiot light openings with an exacto knife.

I bought my dash off ebay from a guy who restores them in TN. I can look up his email if you want. I had a problem with my dash, and he sent me a replacement part right away...he guarantees his work.

I sent the guy an email today and it came back because his mailbox was full???

Anyone else??? I would really like to do this, if noone sells lenses with the different colored numbers/letters, does anyone know where I can get a sticker kit to overlay them all (generator and turn signals too??) I surely can't be the only "3 gauge" person out there who wants to, or has done this
Project "On a Dime"
Old 11-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #14
byrd
Union Electrician

I just got in from work, The piece in the middle is metal no need for the vinyl just paint it white, the #'s are on the lenses, and the one in my auction is the only other color in reproduction that I am aware of. I can get the lens you want for $30 shipped, and as for the numbers being done in black you should PM Lamar as I think has/can do it.
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #15
cypress TX 72
Saving one 72 at a time!!

Redneck,
I found this pic in a previous thread on steering wheels, take a look at this set up, looks cool if you just have to get away from the original.Name:  springfield3.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  35.0 KB
cypress TX 72 is offline   Reply With Quote