The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Which new HEI distributor to buy?

I am about to buy a crate 350 for my truck. I want to go with a new HEI and get rid of the ESC distributor that is in there now.

The engine is going to be a stock 350. No performance stuff, no racing, just a daily driver. I don't need or want the latest and greatest. I just want a really reliable setup. Did I mention that I'm on a budget?

Has anyone used the inexpensive aftermarket HEIs? Do they hold up over time? Any to recommend? Any I should avoid?

Summit has a Summit branded blueprinted all new HEI for $140. Jeg's has a Jeg's branded all new HEI that is normally $99 on sale for $89. Speedway Motors has a generic one for $99. All of them say they are complete with module, rotor, cap, and coil. Has anyone used any of these?

If you know of other sources for a decent rebuilt or new distributor please mention it.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 11-16-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
bigarmzz

Re: Which new HEI distributor to buy?

i've bought from northern before, it was a Mallory Billet HEI, complete for $149....and it worked (and looked) killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
I am about to buy a crate 350 for my truck. I want to go with a new HEI and get rid of the ESC distributor that is in there now.

The engine is going to be a stock 350. No performance stuff, no racing, just a daily driver. I don't need or want the latest and greatest. I just want a really reliable setup. Did I mention that I'm on a budget?

Has anyone used the inexpensive aftermarket HEIs? Do they hold up over time? Any to recommend? Any I should avoid?

Summit has a Summit branded blueprinted all new HEI for $140. Jeg's has a Jeg's branded all new HEI that is normally $99 on sale for $89. Speedway Motors has a generic one for $99. All of them say they are complete with module, rotor, cap, and coil. Has anyone used any of these?

If you know of other sources for a decent rebuilt or new distributor please mention it.

Slonaker
Old 11-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
i've bought from northern before, it was a Mallory Billet HEI, complete for $149....and it worked (and looked) killer
Who is Northern?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Stay far, far, away from Summit distributors. I bought one long ago before getting my MSD and they are junk. For a good distributor for a daily driver it's hard to beat a stock GM unit. Of course they will all be worn out and need rebuilding.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I had goodluck with a Proform for a stock app.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
84slopwaggin

Any after market HEI should be more than sufficient. I bought a Accel for my stock 350 crate, but have yet to install them. Mallory, Accel, Proform, Msd, Pertronix, all are great HEI's. I had a Accel on a prior mild 350 and it worked great. I think you should allow for good ignition components in your budget.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
jermasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
Who is Northern?
Northern Auto Parts? If so, they have some good prices.
-Jeremy
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #8
Trimman

I just got finished putting an Accell in mine test drove fine. It looks like a nice one good quality parts and only 109.00 from summit.
edelbrock performer eps intake
dynomax headers/flowmaster 70's
BTO 700r4 level 3
custom 2 piece driveshaft
12 bolt gov loc w/3.08
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Thanks for the info, everyone. If anyone else has any experience with them, I like to hear about it.

Slonaker
Old 11-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

I agree with Mike, a stock GM HEI is perfect for a daily driver. Next in line (IMO), would be a MSD unit...I swear by their products.

You should be able to pick up one from a JY in your area, then have it rebuilt and recurved...probabaly cost less than $120-130 total (including the dist price) if you have it done professionally.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
I agree with Mike, a stock GM HEI is perfect for a daily driver. Next in line (IMO), would be a MSD unit...I swear by their products.

You should be able to pick up one from a JY in your area, then have it rebuilt and recurved...probabaly cost less than $120-130 total (including the dist price) if you have it done professionally.
I have not been able to find anyone locally who rebuilds distributors. Everyone I know just buys junk from Auto Zone. That is why I am trying to do a little better and get something new.

Whatever I get, I will eventually be buying a second one of if it gives me no trouble. My '37 coupe still runs points, and those need to go.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 11-17-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Slonaker, There is an older guy in my town who specializes in distributors and rebuilds...he charged my $90 to rebuild my JY HEI that I paid $20 for. When I got it back, it looked and operated perfect. If you come up empty handed, I could check with him and see what he has. I am not sure how much you are looking to spend (and I am not sure what a new or aftermarket HEI runs nowadays)...but I bet doing something like this wouldn't cost more than $150 including shipping and all.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Slonaker, There is an older guy in my town who specializes in distributors and rebuilds...he charged my $90 to rebuild my JY HEI that I paid $20 for. When I got it back, it looked and operated perfect. If you come up empty handed, I could check with him and see what he has. I am not sure how much you are looking to spend (and I am not sure what a new or aftermarket HEI runs nowadays)...but I bet doing something like this wouldn't cost more than $150 including shipping and all.
I appreciate the offer, Jeff. I did not expect rebuilding to be quite that expensive. The $150 or so it would likely cost brings it higher than the cost of a new one, so I think I would rather have a new one.

I can buy a generic for $89 (though I won't ), an accel for $110 or a Mallory for $160, and that makes them real competetive with rebuilding. That is probably why there are so few good rebuilders of anything around any more.

Slonaker
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM   #14
Trimman

I went to Advance auto parts they wanted 89.00 for some no name rebuilt. The only other one they had was a msd for 225.00 so I looked around for about 2 months before I got the accel. On the accel the shaft and houseing is stouter than stock. I also notice accel got rid of some of the wires by useing a block to plug the module and the condenser into. It also has bigger wires going to the coil.I think it's a nicer than stock, but not to much nicer. It came with a curve kit,cap and roter and it has an ajustable vacum advance. No coil though.
edelbrock performer eps intake
dynomax headers/flowmaster 70's
BTO 700r4 level 3
custom 2 piece driveshaft
12 bolt gov loc w/3.08
Trimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
84slopwaggin

Yeah I paid $139.99 for my Accel HEI with coil from Summit. That's about as good as it gets for better than stock HEI parts.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #16
bigarmzz

i'm tellin ya man...get the mallory distributor from www.northernautoparts.com

you wont beleive how incredibly nice this piece is....here's a direct link
http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ctModelId=6642

i see they've raised the price though from 149 to 156......prob b/c of the gas getting insane there for awhile

unlike LMC, the guy you talk to on the phone at northern, is usually a sharp guy with decent automotive knowledge

Last edited by bigarmzz; 11-18-2005 at 12:17 AM.
bigarmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:57 AM   #17
jimfulco

New GM ones are $178.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/923/...st-Housing.htm
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:08 AM   #18
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco

That's the same one that came with my ZZ4 and it's been great. I've added a stop plate to it and made it run even better. I've been suprised with it. Later on I'll add a MSD box with it but for a daily driver and warmed over engine it's perfect.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #19
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
i'm tellin ya man...get the mallory distributor from www.northernautoparts.com

you wont beleive how incredibly nice this piece is....here's a direct link
http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ctModelId=6642
I have decided that I will probably get this one, but from Summit. It seems like a good combinatiion of price, name brand, and it says it is made in USA. I am buying my crate engine, balancer, and flexplate from them, so there would be no more postage/handling fees to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
A new GM one would be my preference, and I could get this one from Jegs with a little cheaper shipping and no tax (scoggins-dickey is in Texas, so I would be charged tax). I was concerned about this one because it says "High Performance HEI distributor from GM Performance Parts features a custom timing curve designed for use in GM Performance Parts engines." Would this performance curve on a non-performance engine cause me problems with pinging? I really want to be able to run regular 87 octane gas.

Slonaker
Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #20
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

I will not buy any type of engine/performance part from LMC Truck. They are outrageous on their prices. I was looking at buying a Holley TBI for Big Blue(my Suburban) and they were about $200 more expensive than any other place i looked. The first place i would look would be Northern Auto Parts or Summit. That's my 2 pennies on the buck.
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote