The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Wookiee

Column help?

I have a '70 CST-10 LWB with a non-tilt column automatic and have had problems shifting into park. Within the last month, I have broken two shift levers where they neck down. I wrote the first one off to age, but the second makes me think there might be something seriously wrong. I've checked all the external linkages and all aren't excessively worn and move freely. I can shift without problems from under the hood, which leaves me to believe the problem is in the column itself. I guess my questions are: Have I missed anything? and If it is in the column, is it something I can service myself? Or is it worth just buying another column? Oh, the trans is a turbo 350 if that makes a difference. I appreciate any help.
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: Column help?

The shift rod might be binding up.............take the column apart and grease everything with a light weight grease
Hard to say anything else with out seeing it.
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
pjmoreland

On the very end of the column where it sticks out of the firewall there are two bolts that hold a cylindrical piece into the end of the column housing. The cylindrical piece limits how far the linkage moves inside the column when you pull back on the shifter lever. The bolts that hold the cylindrical piece in pass through curved slots to allow you to adjust the position of the cylindrical piece by spinning it. If the cylindrical piece is too far into the column, the moving arm that sticks out of the column (the one that actuates the rod that goes down to the transmission) will not clear a little bump on the stationary arm next to the moving arm that is supposed to keep you from being able to shift into and out of park without pulling back on the shifter lever. Just a thought. Hope it makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

It could also be that your linkage rod needs to be adjusted where it attaches to the moving arm on the column. You can tell if it is adjusted correctly if you can shift between Neutral and Drive (but not into L2 or Park) without pulling back on the shifter lever.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

I wound up having to rebuild my column. Just keep track of how it comes apart and buy new bearings. The BIG problem I had was at the end there the shift linkage hooks up is a collar witha couple of springs to keep tension on it. The two collars were all rusted together and I had to sak it overnight in Kroil (or some other equivalent penetrating oil) then I wired the springs back and cleaned all the rust off with emory paper. Lightly oiled it up reassemblied the column and it works like a brand new one now.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote