The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Dash Questions

A couple questions, first I have a tach dash and the nedel sticks around 1000 RPM like it will go up to the rpm when I rev the engine and then stick for 3-6 seconds and then fall back down. Also it doesnt register an idle it just sits at 0 and then it will rev up when I rev the motor. Also what PSI are the oil pressure gages for? My engine is at like 65-75 PSI and the guage pegs out to the right. And my fuel guage isnt hooked up and the nedle just points to the 3 o'clock hour basicly. Any ideas?
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Dash Questions

oil guage is a 60 psi unit. you can get an 80 psi unit out of a c/40 and bigger truck. It'll bolt right in and look 100% correct.
Tach...you could try spraying some PB Blaster in there, but it is probably about to crap out on you.
Your fuel guage should be pointing to the 3 O'clock position if it is disconnected.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
oil guage is a 60 psi unit. you can get an 80 psi unit out of a c/40 and bigger truck. It'll bolt right in and look 100% correct.
Tach...you could try spraying some PB Blaster in there, but it is probably about to crap out on you.
Your fuel guage should be pointing to the 3 O'clock position if it is disconnected.
Alright, hmm so now anyone got a C/40 oil guage? and are you sure about PB Blaster that wont mess up the elctrical parts in it? And where would I spray it?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Longhorn Man

99% sure.
but it isn't working properly now... and you are getting the signal from the coil... so it's already a non working tach, so if I am wrong and the PB Blaster makes it worse... you'll still need a tach that works.
I would spray the shaft that the needle is mounted on, and any other mechanical connections in there.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Striker169
Car O'Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
99% sure.
but it isn't working properly now... and you are getting the signal from the coil... so it's already a non working tach, so if I am wrong and the PB Blaster makes it worse... you'll still need a tach that works.
I would spray the shaft that the needle is mounted on, and any other mechanical connections in there.
Well it does work... but what makes me wonder is there any kind of like adjusting or anything that would need to be done to it? like why would it rev up but not regiser at idle and also these tach's are only up to 5000 so what happens after 5000?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Longhorn Man

Your observation is one of the reasons I laugh at how much ppl will pay for a stock tach.
They are grossly inacurate...even in good shape
they don't read to red line of a stock engine.

But... if ppl want to pay $200 + for them.... more power to them.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Striker169
Car O'Holic

haha, I guess im the kind of guy that gets suckered into that.