The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
Daves72'GMC

Smile clip on rod for heater box ?

On the metal heater box inside the truck,where the heat comes down to the floor vent right over the hump, there is a rod that goes through the metal box which opens the flap inside the box and on the back side of the metal box where the rod comes out the back is there some kind of clip that keeps the rod from pulling out?.The rod on mine keeps coming out because there is nothing on the end of the rod to keep it from coming out.Where can I get this clip or whatever piece I need to fix the problem? Thank you all.Dave
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Rally Nova

Re: clip on rod for heater box ?

I replaced my heater core about a week ago and ! There was a small round clip holding the cable on the stud when I removed the heater box from the firewall. I broke it while attempting to remove it with a pair of pliers. I reinstalled the heater box with out it with no problems so far! I found an assortment of them at Autozone afterwards & their called "push nuts". HTH
2004 GMC 2500 Crew Cab
Rally Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Daves72'GMC

Smile Re: clip on rod for heater box ?

This is actually on the backside of the heater box on the opposite end of the lever where the cable attaches.I need the clip or what ever piece keeps the rod from pulling out of the heater box. Its where you can see just the end of the rod sticking out and not where the cable attaches to the lever.Is this also a push on nut or Does anyone know what piece I need or have a picture and know where I can get one? Thank you everyone. Dave
Old 11-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
Putter
More Cowbell....

As far as I know, there is not any type of clip that holds that in. I removed mine to powdercoat the metal box. Then put it back afterwards, but there was no clip....I just tapped it out with a hammer.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Daves72'GMC

What keeps the rod from coming out, because the rod on mine just comes out and the little door inside the metal box comes loose inside and the floor vent won't work. Does someone have a picture of theirs ,so I can see if mine is the same. It would be greatly appeciated. Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Alan Potter

You should be able to buy them at napa. They are round and look similiar to a washer, but once you push them onto the rod, it's very hard to remove. I don't have a picture, but I could email you one if you like. Send me a PM if you want one emailed to you.
'49 Willys Jeepster
Alan Potter is offline   Reply With Quote