The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done? Thanksgiving edition.

I guess everyone managed to eat too much this week. I did pretty good all week so I could pig out on Thanksgiving day. Wow what a food fest! We had waaaaay to much food, so I got top haul lots of extra home with me. I'm trying to stay away from it, but those home made pies keep calling my name.

Saturday I got up early and did some yard work, but it rained me out. I came inside and hung a new light fixture for my wife. That night we went Christmas shopping, then to dinner with friends.

Sunday I got up early and went to the Houston Auto-Rama. They moved it this year and it seemed to have a negative impact. There weren't near as many cars/trucks and a lot less vendors too. I did the best I could taking indoor pics with old digi-cam.Event coverage inside

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-27-2005 at 09:11 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Re: What did you get done? Thanksgiving edition.

I ate turkey thursday!! Friday I went to work for 6 hrs even though I wasnt required. Saturday I got the engine out of the 92 along with some wiring that I wount be using with the BBC. Today I spent with the wife and kids. Ate some mexican food and i dont feel so good now!!
Attached Images

92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i had time over the break to get some work done on my project. i got my exhaust polished up! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=181289

aside from that, i finally got vaccum hooked up to my AC/heater box. i mounted the reservoir under my dash - all you see is one line going out to the engine... seen here behind my engine:

other than that, i'm looking for a factory plug for my factory AM/FM.... anyone got one?!?!?
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I had thanksgiving with my family on thursday , my wifes mother was out of town until friday so we had to have it all over again on saturday.
I did manage to drive the 86 for the first time, my brother and I drove it down the road to find that the tranny would not shift We turned around to go back to the house, only to run out of gas in the driveway I did get the fuell filler built and installed though. I found out that the vacuum line to the modulator valve was unhooked, so maybe that was effecting my tranny shifting problem. I will have to try and drive it again to find out for sure.
sometimes i feel pretty
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, I wasn't going to tell anyone about this because talk about feeling dumb.

My 18 yo son bought a 92 Toyota Paseo. Well, it wasn't in the best of shape so guess who got elected to be the mechanic on it? I spent last week taking out the leaking heater core. I had to completely tear the interior apart to get it out. Hardest thing I've ever had to do auto wise. Anyway, Toyota is real proud of these things. It cost $276.00 for a new one.

So Friday, I put it back together. I done real good too. I got it back in and had screws leftover. Toyota could have saved money if they had let me put it in the first time.

So Saturday, I put in some plugs and fixed some minor things under the hood. He had the brakes making a noise so I decided to do all four wheels. So after getting done with the disc fronts I had him start it up and back off the 2x10 blocks I had under the tire to raise it up so my floor jack would go under the car. Picture this. You know how you use a c clamp to push the calipers over so the new pads will go in. You also know when you get done you have to pump the brakes a couple times before the calipers reach the new pads. Well, I forgot to tell him to pump the brakes. He starts it up and puts it in reverse and has no brakes.

He proceeds to back through my shop garage door. Tears my door up totally and tears the spoiler off his car before he thought to slam it back up in park.

So, other than eating too much on Thursday, I've not had a very good Thanksgiving. To tell you the truth, I couldn't done without it. I feel so bad for him. It wasn't his fault at all. It was mine, all mine. It's only material things and they can be replaced but DAMN.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Damn Mike that's awful. I'm glad no one got hurt as that could have been really sad.

I got mine Lokar throttle cable hooked up partially. I got everything cut installed and when it came to find the set screw I lost it. So I had to engineer the old cable till I get a new set screw. I still need to get the kick down cable installed but the throttle cable and the bracket are sweet.

I also got in some parts I'll post when I get everything in the mail. This part of the truck upgrade has been 5 years in the making and it can wait until I get everything in. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have all I'll need for it

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Brandon,

I agree. It is awful. It can all be fixed though and is covered by my homeowners. Still it sucks big time.

I like my Lokar cables. They do look cool and work great. I hear you on the set screw. I broke one of the ball studs mounting it to the throttle linkage. Me and my gorilla hands overtightened the nut and rung it off. I've looked everywhere local and can't find one. I ended up using a grease fitting. Yes you read right. A grease fitting. A little grinding and polishing and it works just as good as the one in the kit.

I know what parts you have coming. You're getting ready to have a lot of fun too.

Mike
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin

I know what parts you have coming. You're getting ready to have a lot of fun too.

Mike
You got that right Mike. I can't figure out what parts Sonny was short. It gives his part number but I ca'nt figure out if I can start without it unless I figure out what it is. It's a pair of something.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
Izzy
Trucker.

Ate with the in-laws on Thursday, had dinner with my mom on Saturday and came home Sunday to have the wife cook again. I'm stuffed.

The only constructive things I did was put a chain on the back door along with a new door handle and replace a hang down lamp with a flush mount lamp in our dining room.

Last edited by Izzy; 11-28-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Prerunner1982

i decided i was alittle over due for a vacation and had some time to use before the end of the year, so i took a few extra days off, with my regular days off i had a 4 day vacation.

Wed: got new tire for wifes car..finally..
Thurs: went to wifes grandfathers house for lunch.... ate well..
Fri: replaced tierods on wifes 92 Maxima, dropped it off to be aligned.
Sat: called to check on car and they tell me they cant align it as the struts are bad (which i pretty much figured), the lower ball joints were bad (which i knew) and the lower control arm bushings were shot..(didnt know but knew the camber on the car was off for some reason). priced everything, nobody could even get the lower control arm bushings.. so i called the dealership.. to get the bushings you have to buy the whole lower control arm....at $188.00 each. finally found them at a junk yard for $88.00 each, and the bushings were in far better shape than what was on the car, so finally get the car home and start working on it...
Sun: work 13hrs...
Mon (today): finished up the Maxima, except the struts as i need another set of spring compressors as these arent long enough.. will finish up tomorrow. Also fixed a small gas leak on the car...

wasnt exactly how i had invisioned my vacation.. but atleast i had the time off to work on it.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

The only thing I did truck related was fix my dual tank switching issue. after I replaced the passenger side fuel pump after coming home from picking up the 292 I6 and it breaking. I filled up both tanks and ran them faulessly for over a couple of weeks. Well, about 3-4 weeks ago I ran the drivers tank down and went to switch it over and it wouldn't switch. I kept playing with it and I couldn't get it to switch back over. Finally got it back to working with the passenger side and left it alone until I had time (wife had foot surgery so....) Well this weekend I had some time to play around with it so I had a friend helping me out and I was sure it was the switch so I "borrowed" a switch off of another truck I had sold him and he pulled mine out. When I went to put the "borrowed" one in, it was a different switch. Out of frustration, he pulled mine apart and I pulled the borrowed one aparts. Come to find out, mine had lost contact and we cleaned it up popped it back in and it has been working flawlessly since Friday.

Oh yeah. I forget I got the TPI intake sandblasted and mocked it together: details on this post: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=170357&page=3

1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 11-30-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:43 PM   #12
bad_burb

I must admit having 3 days off this week was nice.

Thurs: Had Turkey Day dinner at Sister-in-law's house and got stuffed as it seems most others did.

Fri: Helped my parents lay down a new wood laminate floor in one of their bedrooms.

Sat: Had a couple buddies over to help finish cutting the '85 Burb. It went well and it is finally done (the body that is). All I have left is to remove the axels and that's it. On to the next project... sellin' some parts.
Attached Images

'74 Fleetside 350/TH350 (SOLD)
'69 Nova 350/TH350 (project FOR SALE)
'63 Nova 305/TH350 3.73 posi (the wife's project)
bad_burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #13
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Too bad it's 4wd. I could use some parts

Old 11-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
86 GMG

i ate a lot of darn bird this weekend spent a lot of time with family and had a great time and absolutly nothing truck related either
Old 11-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
1974gmc
In Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_burb
I must admit having 3 days off this week was nice.

Thurs: Had Turkey Day dinner at Sister-in-law's house and got stuffed as it seems most others did.

Fri: Helped my parents lay down a new wood laminate floor in one of their bedrooms.

Sat: Had a couple buddies over to help finish cutting the '85 Burb. It went well and it is finally done (the body that is). All I have left is to remove the axels and that's it. On to the next project... sellin' some parts.
why did you cut it up?
1974gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Moostifer
a fool with no money

put the "bolt-ons" on.... I really need to work on the engine bay area... it looks like a spray painted turd

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
bad_burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974gmc
why did you cut it up?

No title, no motor, no trans, no transfer case, no driveshaft, no wiring, smashed right side quarter panel, lots of rust = not worth keeping whole thing.

I originally just wanted the tailgate from the burb, but the guy I bought it from made me a deal I couldn't refuse. So now I have 4 Power doors and a tailgate for my '76.

'74 Fleetside 350/TH350 (SOLD)
'69 Nova 350/TH350 (project FOR SALE)
'63 Nova 305/TH350 3.73 posi (the wife's project)
bad_burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
JIMs70GMC
user # 2756

Went and picked up a 14BFF for my burb. Has a gov-loc should hold-up with 33s.
1986 M1031 6.2 diesel, TH400/NP205 locker in the rear and a LS in the front, all stock for now.....
1986 K30, 350/400/205 dana 60 and 14 bolt. I kept the drivetrain. Body/bad and chassis are gone.
1981 K30, 350/465/205 dana 60 and dually 14 bolt. Has a G80, and a flat bed. Going to replace the flat bed.

1985 K20, 350/400/208 10 bolt and SF 14 bolt. I wonder where I can find some 1 tons. Hmmmmm
JIMs70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #19
DangerBoy

Laid down more primer, hooked up a cig lighter so now I can listen to my satellite radio while I drive. Ate alot. Drank alot. Other than that I didn't do too much.
DangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 PM   #20
SlapFish
Real Men Wear Orange

Since my dad knows his way around wiring (so I thought...), and had just finished completely re-wiring our Jeep DJ (those mail trucks), and had some heavy duty electrical wire, he attempted to install my blue vanity light and new cigarette lighter. Worked fine. For a few minutes.

It would randomly work and not work so he decided to take a look...in the mean time I decided I would make sure the power inverter worked...so I tested it in my mom's car(the light I got was one of those rope lights, it's installed around the edge of the cab inside...it has a house AC plug on the end).

I returned to my truck after successfully testing it. I heard my dad say "hey Andrew, open the other door. Without looking through the windshield I opened the other door to be greated to a giant cloud of smoke. Apparently one of his wires went up. Now my radio only works when the lights are on and I can't get a neato blue glow inside my truck at night. Poo, dad.
SlapFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #21
SSC's76
No No

Well went to my aunts house in the middle of nowhere up in the mountians. Managed to catch the flu and a nice cold which I still sick. I guess the mountains were real nice and the broncos won so it wasent too bad.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #22
JonnyTechMech
STOP! Hamma time!!!

The Thanksgiving Holiday was a real interesting holiday this year. Got a lot done and experienced a lot. I took 5 days off from work starting on the 17th which was my son’s 1st birthday. He got cake for the first time and a haircut for the first time. The In-laws were thrilled. Sat. came with the arrival of 9 kid and mothers for his birthday party; glad to make it through that without getting something broke.

I’d been fighting with a 87 year old step bumper for three weeks on my truck. I had gotten a chrome bumper and wanted to replace it while I was off. Man….. I don’t have air gear or torches, and the space was too tight to hack the rusted bolts off. So… I ended up breaking two bolts and negotiating the other two with WD-40 and a cheeta-bar; just before it begin to get cold and before Thanksgiving. Ate like a champ and was worthless for a few days.

Monday 28th I had to report for jury summons, and sweated for 4 hrs to escape once again. Blew the rest of the day off and search for a new artificial 7ft Christmas tree at a low price. I got it and now I gotta deal with the set and lights outside the house.
JonnyTechMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #23
Rdrdave
Broke and still trying

Pulled the tired 307/3speed and dropped in a 350/m21 combo. ALL ON THURSDAY! Tired as hell that day. Only had one plate of food. Missed all the football. Friday. Started it up. I've been fighting looking for clutch linkage parts ever since! Zbar is worn, ball stud on the block is the wrong one. Clutch arm pops off of pivot ball when I depress the pedal. Who knows. Going to get everything new and change rods to heim joint rods.
Rdrdave is offline   Reply With Quote