The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Alexander51

Question wiring issue ?

I have a full '77 frame and drivetrain on which sits a '54 cab and bed - a project truck for my daughter. I have been re-connecting all the wires using the original '77 wiring harness and fusebox. I have a few wiring diagrams but none so far have been very helpful. I have a few stranded wires without connector ends that were lost when the original cab and bed were removed. Here's my issue. I have the majority of the wires hooked up back to where they were. When I connect a battery directly to the cables I get nothing to work. However, if I use a jumper and hook the battery directly to the Alternator Red wire, leaving the other cable hooked to the frame ground, everything works. What am I missing - any ideas? I do have a long blk/w wht stripe wire that leads from the harness to somewhere in the engine compartment but I have no idea where. Inside the can, on the ignition I have a ppl/wht wire attached to the St on the ignition switch and that wire has a double female connector at the end - my only guess is that it connects to the white plastic male connector on the lower steering column. Anyone have any ideas? I'm also looking for another wiring diagram to see if it helps any.
Alexander51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
us111

Re: wiring issue ?

well i can tell you that if your using a 77 steering column the purple with white stripe goes to the connector at base of column by fire wall,,will only fit one way,,that and should be i think light green and dark green going down there..they are for being able to start in park and neutral...as for the rest it sound's like a possible ground isn't right?
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote