The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
davidh

How well received was the 67' in late 66?

What I'd like to know is how well received was this truck at first? It seems like it was a hit from the start. Anyone remember? Also in 1972 were people buying them up as anticipation of the new body style(1973)? It looks like the highlander was a way to keep people buying the last of the 72's. How was the 73' received in comparison?

For example. In 1987 I can remember throwing newspapers to these people and they had a mid 70's truck, it was cherry but they and their son ran out and bought 87' chevy trucks because they didn't like the way the 88's looked and knew these were the last ones. The 88 was a success however but take today the 03 and up

In my time. I hate the 2003-06(o6 is little better) chevy truck front end.(I'm not alone) People at the dealerships know of all the complaints thats why the tahoe and suburban still have the "good looking" front sheet metal. Ive been told at the local dealearship here they sale 4:1 gmc's to chevy's now just because of the front end.

Now for you guys who were around in 66-67 and 72 time to "remember when". Lets hear it!
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Re: How well received was the 67' in late 66?

The 67-68 were very different, but I seem to recall an artical (has the prototype blazer in it as well) that talks about the guy that designed the 67 and his attempt to give it more car like look, but the GM upper management did not like it and went back to the truck look, hence the 69 truck with the bigger grille and higher hood.... I know someone here can post that article, I can't find it...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
longhorn71

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris
The 67-68 were very different, but I seem to recall an artical (has the prototype blazer in it as well) that talks about the guy that designed the 67 and his attempt to give it more car like look, but the GM upper management did not like it and went back to the truck look, hence the 69 truck with the bigger grille and higher hood.... I know someone here can post that article, I can't find it...
I remeber reading that write up in classic trucks......
Gm did not like the small window 67 cabs and that is why they were a one year only deal as well
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
chevymad

One older guy around here recently told me that people didnt like the 67-68's when they came out because they looked too much like a studebaker. I think i've read on this board that the designer of these trucks was an actual studebaker designer.

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
MDC

GREAT TOPIC David. I look forward to reading more responses. Sorry I don't have any input, as that is the year I was born. As a matter of fact, I was born in Sept. Probably right as the new intro's were being made.
I do have a 67 short fleetside with the small window!
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

They were mostly a hit!It was a big step.So,it was a love it/hate it thing.Alot like when the`88s came out.I don`t think the big changes for`73 were that well known until they came out.And,low and behold,people jumped on them like hotcakes.It was a few years later that peoplestarted looking back at the 67-72s and saying,"they sure are nice.I used to have one.Traded it in for the new style.Wish I still had that`68."Their popularity has been increasing ever since.I enjoy having people who can`t help but notice at least three of these trucks at my house for as long as they can remember come up to me every few years and let me know,"those things are starting to catch on."I say,yeah,starting."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
HOTFUN

My Dad ordered a new 66 Chevy Custom cab V8 standard tranny in the fall of 65.(I remember this so well at 6 years old, riding home with my brother in the back end from the dealership on October 21st, 1965.) Dad knew they were coming out with a new body style but the dealer sold him an order out 66 fleetside longbox for $1950 cash. He said the new 67 style would probably add $500 to that price and he would be in a long line to get one with any discount. Think now in 1966 prices he paid $1950 and $2350 was a 25% increase) So I imagine GM was holding the line on price increase on the 66's and jumped the new 67 truck prices. I remember for years after Dad complained about not waiting to get the 67 style with a steel floor box and the inner fender liners especially when the wood rotted and the rust came out on the lower front fenders and the braces on the box of his 66 in the early 70's. He waited till the later 70's and sold the 66 with 41k miles but rusty for $400 and bought a mint original 55k mile 69 Chevy V8, auto,air truck for $1000.
In mid 1987 there was a window of about 6 months you could order either a 87 or 88 style and their prices were about identical. I bought a new 87 and had it 6 months when at the dealer getting some warranty work the owner came out and offered me a new red 88 shortbox loaded with at the time hard to get alloys(most were steel rallies because of a shortage). I think I paid $1500 difference with 4k on my 87 and his truck listed for about $1500 more. I traded becasue the ride was so much better and I loved red back then.We couldn't find a red 87 at the time. Anyway a lot of people went for the 87's about till the first extended cab models came out in 89.
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Not too good. People around here said they looked like a studykicker (Studebaker) and you couldn't any ugly-er or lower than that. I mean studebaker was like a curse word around here. If you saw a studebaker
coming down the road you couldn't tell if it was coming or going so the best thing to do was to go a head and run in the ditch.
After a few months things got better when we started seeing some with chrome,ww tires,large hup caps and the large motors helped also. Then in 1973 $hit hit the fan it started all over "studebaker" again and people went out a bought 72's that they didn't even like. Looking back its funny how things turned out. I love all the old Chevys and so does a zillion others.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
What I'd like to know is how well received was this truck at first? It seems like it was a hit from the start. Anyone remember? Also in 1972 were people buying them up as anticipation of the new body style(1973)? It looks like the highlander was a way to keep people buying the last of the 72's. How was the 73' received in comparison?

For example. In 1987 I can remember throwing newspapers to these people and they had a mid 70's truck, it was cherry but they and their son ran out and bought 87' chevy trucks because they didn't like the way the 88's looked and knew these were the last ones. The 88 was a success however but take today the 03 and up

In my time. I hate the 2003-06(o6 is little better) chevy truck front end.(I'm not alone) People at the dealerships know of all the complaints thats why the tahoe and suburban still have the "good looking" front sheet metal. Ive been told at the local dealearship here they sale 4:1 gmc's to chevy's now just because of the front end.

Now for you guys who were around in 66-67 and 72 time to "remember when". Lets hear it!

I've owned Chevies all my life, and I just bought the 05' GMC Yukon XL. I heard the 4:1 thing from the salesman and kinda believe it. Get this he even claims the GMC has a hihigher resale value than the Chevy. Did you Jimmy bashers here that!!! GMC has finally supassed the chevy in desire/value J/K!! I have liked the GMC front from 88 on. I would not necessarily buy one because of the frontend, but I did buy this one because it was the only Blue one and it happened to be GMC. As for the 67 I wasn't born till 71 so alls I can say is I own two 67's a 68 and two 72's and I hate the 66 and back ( I like the 55-59 and owned a really fast 59 Big back window when I was in college). As a kid living in PA I can remember going down to WV to buy long bed 67-72 with my dad (they would have been like 5-10 years old then) he was buying and wrecking them so fast that I think he had like 5-6 of them (all ended up totalled) That was back in the days when you didn't drive UNLESS you had been drinking. Thank GOD he was nevery seriously hurt and they were alway single truck and an immoobile object for instance the local bridge and a power pole) The power pole was when they first aired Smokey and the Bandit on TV and he caused a blackout for the whole town. He was a popular gut then! Anyways back to the post I sure wish he/we had saved one or more of them, but back in the 70's and 80's they were just used gashogs, much like the hemi's and 454's of lore. I save everyone I find to make up for the one's my old man killed back in the day.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 12-02-2005 at 02:25 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
davidh

And we wonder why GM is going bankrupt. They don't listen to their consumers. Most of their cars are ugly. Last decent cars were the G-bodies for any style and that was 87 or 88' last year.
GM relied heavily on truck sales to support them, but with high gas and now Toyota and Nissan have full size offerings that are getting some of that share too.
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #11
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh
People at the dealerships know of all the complaints thats why the tahoe and suburban still have the "good looking" front sheet metal.
Full size SUV's are always a little behind, don't worry, they'll give them the upside-down ugly-ass bumble bee look sometime soon.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote