The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
matt67350

FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! Fuel filter NO! NO!

Well it started with a great day. Went to the barn to meet a boardmember that bought a swb frame. On the way my 67swb starts to run bad.
I'm on I-20 going West between Ft. Worth and Weatherford. If I can just find a auto parts store I'll be ok. Well that was an adventure all it's self.
Anyway, I find a NAPA auto and limp in. I find that the fuel pump has decided
that it wants no more, and kills over. I place a call to fellow board member
TxFirefighter, and he drives 30min to help. (WHAT A GUY!) NAPA had the fuel pump I needed and a bolt to help on the change out. They even let me borrow some tools for the job. TxFirefighter (AKA Kevin) pointed out that the glass fuel filter I had installed needed to be removed and the fuel line repalced also. Well I just need the truck to run so I could make the appt.
FYI. Glass fuel filter and bad hose are not the formula for a great runnng truck. On with the pump and truck was running good.
Make the swb frame swap, truck still running good, THEN, just like before, the truck felt like the fuel pump stopped working. Popped the hood to take a look. Fuel is leaking out the glass fuel filter. So I look around and find a building supply store. Surely they have something that may work to replace the fuel filter, too get home. After talking to the guy there we found a 3/8 nipple that would take the place of the fuel filter. I go to replace the glass fuel filter and the thing just comes apart in my hands. GAS!! spewing all over a hot motor, and on my hands and shirt. (Incert cheep Key Stone Cop Joke!)
I'm sure the people driving by are still talking about the a$$H@># Jumping and running around a truck like a fool. Boy that was me! I have never seen so much fuel at one time. All I could do was try to stop the leak. Nothing was working. I ran to remove the fuel cap too take the pressure of the tank, grabbed a cloth in the back of the truck to keep the fuel off the hot exaust manifold., and still the fuel was runnng out. then it hit me. I may be looking at a fireball, and there is a burn ban in the county I'm in, then this image of TxFirefighter starts saying "that fuel filter and hose needs replaced". All this happend in just a few seconds. I could have burned my truck and myself to the ground. I said all that to say this. If your running a glass fuel filter and bad hoses, replace them NOW!!!! Don't waite till you get a chance.

What really happened to the truck? I think that the fuel pump did bite the big one. When I replaced the fuel pump, well the pressure is greater to the carb now. The cheap glass fuel filter and hose didn't want to take the extra load, so they started to leak. When I touched the filter it just came apart enough to spray fuel all over the place. I may have a problem with the needle and seat in the carb also. I have purchased a new metal filter, fuel line, carb kit, and a fire extinguisher for the truck.

Ya'll laugh now,
Matthew
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
classicchev

Re: FIRE FIRE FIRE!!! Fuel filter NO! NO!

WOW, sounds way too familiar. Those glass filters should be banned. Mine never got that bad, engine not as hot either, but pretty much the same result. Now I run teh plastic see through filters, much safer.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
cdowns

hope you purchased a metal fuel line to do the job correctly and safely//more than 3"of rubber hose is a bad deal!!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
krazy_texan

i have had the same exact thing happen to me but i was on a date when it happend and needless to say i was wearing some nicer clothes and i was not a happy person when the ordeal was over but it does happen
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I have had two of those glass filters come apart...threads stripped right out and dumped gas all over the running motor. I warned Summitt & Russell (yes, this was the good stuff with AN fittings and no rubber hoses!) and they just gave me the old BS line: "No one else has ever complained"...so there can't be a problem---right?
I now run billet alum filters with steel braided hose and AN fittings. No clamps, no leaks and no problems---ever!
Even on six cylinders.
Attached Images

PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #6
ronh72c10

Wow there's one of those on the Jimmy, never gave it a second thought. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to change it before the next time I run it.

Ron
38 Ford Tudor Humpback Sedan (from the darkside)
67 Pontiac Parisienne
55 Studebaker Commander 2dr Hardtop (Starliner)
My Youtube channel with Video Updates!
ronh72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
70c10swb
no brain no headache

man you were lucky. I always cringe when i see glass filters

Oh and a big pat on the back to Txfirefighter for helping you out
Old 12-04-2005, 12:36 AM   #8
davidh

Once on one of my trucks, I was trying to figure out why the motor would start, then die immediately. I thought, carb clogged? fuel pump? Or the crappy ignition switch rig job. I disconnected the fuel line(but thought I had hooked it back), hit the starter. AND BOOM!, fire I mean the whole compartment most have had fumes it was a big flash. I thought it was going to burn to the ground. Luckily I had a icechest and was by my water faucet. I felt like N.dynamite, friggin idiot. My 80yr old neighbor actually got a good laugh out of watching me sprint and put it out from inside his house. A few replaced burnt wires and all was good. It was the bad ignition switch wire.
Another time I was messing with a S10 that had been sitting for several years and tried priming the TBI, mild fire too. It was in a field. I put it out with the air filter lid and a very fortunate puddle next to it. Very Scarey moments to say the least. Good thing I can react in those situations some people get the deer in the headlights look when fight or flight response comes on. Everyone be careful!!
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
davidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP
I have had two of those glass filters come apart...threads stripped right out and dumped gas all over the running motor. I warned Summitt & Russell (yes, this was the good stuff with AN fittings and no rubber hoses!) and they just gave me the old BS line: "No one else has ever complained"...so there can't be a problem---right?
I now run billet alum filters with steel braided hose and AN fittings. No clamps, no leaks and no problems---ever!
Even on six cylinders.
Wow. that looks good and is safe. Are those hard to order and get all the fittings right? How much in a fuel line? I know I looked into have the AC/custom hose/line shop make me one for one of my vehicle and they wanted around $35. for it.
davidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 AM   #10
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I hear what you're saying, but I LOVE having my glass fuel filter. I only tighten it slightly more than finger tight and I've never had a problem. I can even loosen it with my fingers if I need to. I suspect that the ends were on too tight and that's why it disintegrated in your hands- could that be?

However, I do need to replace the molding short fuel hose in my Camaro and now I think it'll be a priority!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
3qtrtontarrer

i also like the glass filters never had a problem 15 yrs pr so.i run 1 on my 8 sec mustang with a 402bb chevy at 140mph.they need to have the ruber gaskets changed every so often so the filter wont loosen and leak. never overtighten them, glass wont take the torque. BUT i do check it every time the hood is open.
3qtrtontarrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #12
kwmech

I put my fuel filters underneath the truck away from any engine heat.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #13
cableguy0

brittle piece of glass with fuel in it hanging over hot engine..hmmmmmmmmmm they are definately a bad idea anyway you look at it. the least little bit of contact and they will bust tight or not. if you want a fuel filter you can see through fram makes clear plastic ones.they wont break and shatter and burn your truck to the ground
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #14
LSGarage

Glass fuel bowel filters belong on old tractors only.
13 Honda CRV (wife's wheels)
03 Malibu (daughter’s car)
LSGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #15
jimfulco

There was a recall of some of the tubular glass filters about ten years ago due to some fires. I wouldn't use one for any reason. I've had one of the metal inline filters develop a tiny rust hole in the bottom on a car that didn't get driven much, but I smelled the leak before it caused a problem. I prefer the clear plastic ones made by Wix.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #16
riden2low

Never use a glass filter again. My son had one on his truck and it broke and started a fire. Now the truck sits along his house and we are going to have to replace every rubber item. Lucky when it happen some one called 911 and the fire dept put it out. The engine compartment it all screwed up now after the fire dept finished with it but it can be brought back to life once it is all cleaned out.
Front disc
Frame "c" sectioned
Gaylord bed cover
riden2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #17
chevy71super

I had one on my truck but took it off immediately after I was warned they are prone to leak or break and cause a fire. I figured why chance it, even if the chance was small and got rid of it.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #18
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

so if glass isnt the answer .... who makes a good steel or aluminum fuel filter ??

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #19
bglad420

I just had probs w/ glass filters
bglad420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

I never had that bad a problem with the glass filter. I have noticed that since they started adding ethanol and ether to fuel in the winter around here [Az], that the plastic replacement elements inside the glass filter would swell and inpede fuel flow. I suppose with old brittle O -rings that could be a liability. I have one glass filter as a strainer just before my fuel pump but I re-use the micarta element w/magnet. Just before the carb I use a steel Fram G-11.

Once I used a plastic see-thru gas filter just before the carb on my late '67 K/10 Sub w/ 454 and K&N air cleaner. A backfire caught the air cleaner on fire and the heat melted the plastic unit. Since the fuel pump [Holley Red] was controlled by a switch under the dash and not dependent on motor running [or oil pressure switch], it kept flowing. Things could have gotten a lot worse if some quick-thinking guys from the motel staff had'nt jumped out with extinguisher bottles just then. As it was, I had to tow the Sub home to Tucson from Southern California w/ a U-Haul tow-bar. And now it's just another future project to get up and running again.

Pickmup: Sweet looking 292 there.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:26 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I`ve seen some nice vehicles burn from those glass death traps.I used them on everything for years.Like the others that say they`re ok,I never had a problem.I decided I didn`t need to wait for my truck to burn to believe the danger.Why gamble?There are better,safer alternatives.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #22
longhorn70gmc

I feel you on that Glass filter. I got rid of mine. Stories like this are sad but I am glad you shared it with us. It always helps to talk about it. Hope your truck runs good for you in this new year.
Respectfully

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!

Last edited by longhorn70gmc; 01-01-2006 at 11:21 PM.
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #23
Mudder

I had a bad experience with a glass filter also. -20 below wind chill and I drove down the interstate for 15 miles using about a 1/2 tank of gas before I could stop and see why the bad gas smell. gas was froozen all down the side of the truck. (tan ice). i thought the ladies at the motor mart were gonna call the fire dept.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote