The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Kick Panel Vents

Has anyone sealed off the kick panel vents? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Kick Panel Vents

Why would you want to seal them off?
They are awsome when it gets hot outside, if you have factoy A/C, it uses one, and if the seals are good, they shouldn't leak when closed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Sweet72

Why on earth would you want to do that ...and eliminate the leaves, pine needles, dust and choking dirt in the cab on those beautiful early spring days.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.

Last edited by Sweet72; 12-04-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

That is actually number 2 on my list of things to get finished on my cab. My reasons for doing so is that I travel 4 miles of dirt road round trip to hit pavement. The dirt around here is like flour, so no matter how tight something is sealed, it still finds a way to get in I'm just hoping to swing the odds in my favor. That, and it will make one less place for the mice to get in.

And I am gonna run a Vintage Air a/c system when it's all said and done.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Striker169
Car O'Holic

does the Vintage air use them?
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 AM   #6
72MARIO

I love mine in the summer. That would be that last hole I welded up.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
cableguy0

if you were to seal them up your cab would rot severely and in a hurry because the leaves dirt etc couldnt get out
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 AM   #8
GMC Jim

When I repaired the flapper valves in the airconditioning; I also sealed both
kick panel vents. I desired outside air at all times; as myself and wife were smokers at the time. Built shields for upper portion of radio speakers ( to prevent rain damage) and mounted speakers in the kickpanle vents. Did this over 10 years ago... no problems and no regrets !....... Jim
Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you do seal the vents off make sure you address the drains in the bottom.If not you will have rotting leaves ect in the bottom of your fenders.I have cowl vent screens on my truck and they prevent anything but the smallest stuff from getting in there.I got them from Tim Christian if you need a set.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
Mixup

I have mine sealed off since I put in the Vintage Air 3 years ago. I don't worry about leaves all we have here is dust and cactus.

1969 Z28 engine

Turbo 350
Mixup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
ebfabman

Sealing the fresh air vents in the kick panels will have no effect on whether or not the cowl area drains. If you seal the vents you will only have outside air with the factory A/C. At max cold setting, when all three control knobs are in the far left position at the dash A/C controls, the flapper door in the cowl is closed to outside air and the vent in the passenger kick panel is open. The fan is pulling air from inside the cab and recirculating it. This setting is like the recirculation on late model vehicles. The exception is that on these trucks there is still outside air entering the cab because the drain in the cowl just below the vent on the outside of the kick panel is not closed to the cab when the vent is open. This is why you still smell exhaust in traffic when the A/C is on. The drain hole is really more like a triangular shaped opening at the lower part of the cowl boxing shown at the arrow here. If this opening is clear, then the cowl will drain. One thing that might happen if the vents are sealed, it may be somewhat harder to close the doors because the sudden change in air pressure when the doors are closed. That air will not have the relief at the vents. So if your doors seal good, you may have to have the window slightly open til you are in an on your way. Seems like the cab will stay cleaner with the vents sealed. My vote is to seal the vents and install an aftermarket A/C system.
Attached Images

ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote