The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

alarm systems

In light of the recent attempt to steal my truck, I need to install an alarm system. I went to Car Toys this afternoon to see what and how much. At the recommendation of a board member, I asked for the DEI alarms. Their cheapest was a Clifford 3101X for $199.95 + $80 to install. Since my truck doesn't have door pins, they either need to install them ($150) or I need a proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is $79.95 plus $65 labor to install. This is the "basic" install option which totals around $500 with tax. Holy cow that is expensive!

Does anyone know of a cheaper/better route to go? Is this what alarm systems really cost? Most likely, I won't have time to install an alarm in a timely manner so I'll need to find an installer. Anyone know a quality/affodable installer in the Seattle area?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L

Last edited by bouncytruck; 12-06-2005 at 07:33 PM.
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: alarm systems

Go with Avital. It's also DEI/Clifford. Price is more reasonable with all the same features. My personal advice is this:

Instead of door pins, get glass breakage sensor and proximity sensor. The two most common ways people will get into your car these days are smashing windows or cutting the window out entirely. Using this method, you can bypass almost any factory alarm on the market.

It should come with a shock (vibration) sensor stock. Should also come with starter kill. If you have power door locks they should be able to wire them up to the alarm too using an electric relay. Same goes with auto-start.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
subtle71
Granddad's Ol' Truck

Just a thought, but the door trigger for the alarm can be tied in to the dome light. When the doors are opened the interior cab light/dome light would trigger the alarm to panic. It is basic but would save you some dough. You might need a relay at most.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD crew cab 2wd

[I]1971 Chevrolet Custom 10 Deluxe lwb fleet-side
subtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

If that is the case, that means there are pre-existing pin switches on the door so the dome light knows when to trigger on and off. This would mean they would just tap into the existing pin switches (or upgrade them). This is typically what we would do in the shop I worked in.

For my '68, I have no pin switches at all. Only way to get the dome light on is by throwing the dash dimmer all the way over.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Putter
More Cowbell....

Just my $0.02, but I would also look for something that uses our horn for the sounder. I personally NEVER pay any attention to those 6-tone things anymore. Just not loud enough, and EVERYBODY has one. At work, I can hear a car horn blowing on an alarm in my parking garage from across the street, and I am on the 12th floor.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
72str8flush

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W01F-B6000

this is the setup I am going to install later this month. It is reasonable, you get power locks, a shock sensor and starter kill. Not top of the line alarm but if they want it enogh to bypass this they will bypass anything and get it anyway.
72str8flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
farside847

I was thinking about one of these cool kill switch systems... It uses a proximity switch, not sensor.

http://www.cardefender.com/home
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

How about something like this:
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

If you can't jump in and start it, you can't steal it. You could also put a line lock on the brake system. You might can put the disconnect on the negative side, that way it would appear to have power, but not enough ground to crank it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72str8flush
http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W01F-B6000

this is the setup I am going to install later this month. It is reasonable, you get power locks, a shock sensor and starter kill. Not top of the line alarm but if they want it enogh to bypass this they will bypass anything and get it anyway.
Would like to hear how this went in and works .When you install it looks like a hot setup .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Most Blazers don't have door pins - since the top comes off, the dome light isn't always hooked up. The only way Blazers have door pins is if they came with the optional courtesy lights. To do door pins, they would have to drill into the sheet metal. I'm not sure how they would access the back of the kick panels to run the wires without removing the fenders. I'd like to keep the truck as close to a stock appearance as possible.

Since I run the soft top all summer, I'll probably need a proximity sensor. The side windows on the soft tops zip out from the outside. I haven't decided on the impact sensor yet, but if I'm already spending the money, why not spend more?

I haven't found an Avital dealer in the area yet. I'll check to see if they list dealers on their web site.

The Car Defender looks very interesting. It might be a good option in combonation with a basic audible alarm system (for other break ins). Part of the appeal with it is the lack of mass-marketing and therefore knowledge of how it works.

Thanks for the links!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #11
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

While you are deciding , I think I would put in a Kill switch .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've been disconnecting the battery and we are parking my wife's car behind it in the driveway so they can't get it out. A decision will be made soon on a security system.

I'm also considering a monitoring system for the driveway. Just a little added peace-of-mind.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #13
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Put a motion sensing light out there. having the truck lit up at night when someone is walking near it should deter thieves also.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
farside847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos
How about something like this:
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

If you can't jump in and start it, you can't steal it. You could also put a line lock on the brake system. You might can put the disconnect on the negative side, that way it would appear to have power, but not enough ground to crank it.
That Magtech one is pretty cool. Has anyone tried it?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
shifty
Questionable

bouncytruck - if a company carries DEI, they should have both Clifford and Avital. It's all the same brand.

Again, I can't recommend enough getting an alarm that has:
1) vibration sensor
2) glass breakage sensor
3) either proximity or or door pinswitches
4) a hood pinswitch (alarm is not much good if you can lift the hood and cut the power)
5) starter kill

My truck was broken into a couple years ago in front of my girlfriend's house - they smashed out the back window and pulled everything out of the back seat - if i had a proximity sensor, it wouldn't have done any good. If I had a glass breakage sensor, the alarm would have gone off the second the window spidered. Glass has a signature sound trace so it's a great, effective system.

People may try to sell you down on a cheapo system, and that's great, but ... an alarm is just like car audio, paint jobs or anything else - you totally get what you pay for. If you skimp on it and save $50 by leaving something out and someone steals your truck or gets into it, you're going to kick yourself later and feel like quite a dumbass

For my truck, I'm going Avital and getting LoJack installed.

Avital's basic system is normally $100-200 installed. Adding a sensor is ~$50/each. You should be able to get into an Avital system for around $250 with all of the above included. As an added benefit, Avital alarm brains are guaranteed - FOR LIFE. I carried my Avital between cars (3 diff't ones) over a 6 year period. The brain died about 4 years in --- they sent me a new one free of charge, they even paid freight. No questions asked. That is service. Try to find that with a Radio Shack alarm

Last edited by shifty; 12-07-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #16
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Hey, this is a good topic. I have alarms on my other vehicles, so why not put one on my '69?

I bought a couple of locking hood releases from NAPA, several years ago. Proud to say they're now "NOS".....still in the box and on the shelf. Lotta good they're doing me.

I have read that an effective kill switch is simply a toggle switch, hidden of course, that interrupts the power to the distributor. Now, it don't matter what kind of distributor (HEI or points/condenser), as long as you prevent the power from getting to the coil. I know it's simple....so, why haven't I already done it? Who knows? But, it's a proven system that is simple, yet quiet.

As for horns.....I took a couple off of an old school bus (A GMC) and I also ordered a Delco High "C" horn to use with it. When installed, it should sound like an old 60's era Cadillac. Seems the bus horns are louder than the stock horn on my '69. Gonna need a relay, though.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I went to Magnolia Audio today. I finally understand what DEI is. I was thinking it was a feature or technology used rather than a manufacturer.

I looked at a Clifford Arrow 5 with a backup siren, proximity sensor, hood pin (but I'll still need to add a locking system to the hood) and a impact sensor. The total came to $455 plus tax. They only carried one Avital system and for some reason he didn't recommend it (probably because his commission was less). The wanted $80 to install the brain, $60 to install the prox sensor, and $35 to install the hood pin.

I've still got a few places to check before I jump in. Hopepfully it will keep getting cheaper as I continue to look and become educated on the products.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #18
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Right now I am running the grant security wheel on my toyota the blazer is next.. It seems to work really well on the yota only draw back if you want to keep it stock is you have runa grant wheel.. No wheel no steal!!!!

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #19
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I forgot about the removable steering wheels.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

Most seasoned car thieves carry a steering wheel with them.

likewise, a hacksaw or even a ballpoint pen case can be used to jimmy a Club theft deterrent device.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #21
shifty
Questionable

Another tip: Bypass the club - a boltcutter cuts through a steering wheel, all you gotta do is notch the steering wheel near the Club and it will pop right off. Takes less than 10 seconds.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #22
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've never heard anything positive about the club. I didn't realize that car thieves carried steering wheels, and I've even seen Gone in 60 Seconds.

Circuit city has a "Hornet" brand alarm for $69. Isn't Hornet a DEI brand? (Hornet 740T). This seems like just about the most basic system available. I don't see anywhere in the specs if a prox and/or impact senor can be added.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:44 AM   #23
shifty
Questionable

I have a personal distaste for both Hornet and Viper. Too many people I've met using Vipers tend to have false alarms out the wazoo and I always thought Hornet was "cheap". If they had the same warranty as Avital, I would consider them. I know Avital is very upgradable. It's a "competition ready" alarm.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #24
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Thanks again Shifty. You really know your stuff! I'll avoid the Hornet. I don't want to spend a fortune but I also don't want to go so cheap I'll regret it.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #25
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Autopage alarms are here in town . I know nothing about them .
http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside....ectionID=10002
Member Old Farts Club

Last edited by Bill72BB; 12-09-2005 at 12:51 PM.