The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
LawMan02

Need help with several questions

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, but must say it's very informative with all the knowledgeable people that log on and a great site for someone like me that has no great mechanical experience to find the right answers.

I've owned nothing but pick-ups throughout my life, but never a truck that needed much work...until now. I just purchased a 1972 GMC K2500, lwb, with a 350-V8 and 4 speed transmission. It has 32,500 miles and was a truck used in a fire department in Indiana. The body seems to be in good shape with no rust and the motor runs great and the drivetrain seems good also. I haven't driven it since receiving it on Sunday. It also has a Ramsey PTO winch. I'm very excited about repairing the few small things...valve cover gaskets, interior work and some minor exterior work. I also would like to put new tires and rims on it. This leads me to my questions.

1) I would like to put on a set of 35 x 15.50-16.5 Swamper TSL/SX on 9.5 X 16.5 rims. What would y'all (from Louisiana) think the minimum lift the truck needs to run this tires?
2) According to the tag in the glovebox the truck has a "power lok" rear end. Is this a true postive traction? Will I have trouble with the rear end running larger tires?
3) There are fire department stickers on the truck and I started removing them with a hair dryer and that seems to work fine. Is there an easy way to remove the remaining sticky stuff without damaging the paint?
4) Last question...With the truck being a fire truck with lights, antennas, radios and accessories, there are a number of drilled holes in different parts on the truck, exterior and interior. Any suggestions how to fill the holes other that bondo for a temperory fix. I would like to cover the holes and maybe later come back and repaint the truck. Thanks for any help. Randy

1973 Jeep CJ 5, 304, 33's with side pipes

2008 GMC 2500HD, CC, SWB, D/A, SLT
LawMan02 is offline   Reply With Quote