The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

No truck stuff at all this week. I worked hard all week trying to get caught up from last week being sick. I almost got everything caught up now.
I did get a chance to work in my garage a bit. I cleaned things up in there so I could get Christmas lights down from the attic. Since I didn't want to do the same theme I had done for the last two years I didn't do much on Saturday but plan what I wanted to do.

Sunday I had a buddy come over and we went to Home Depot and bought a set of french doors. I get to add a set of doors in the entry of my game room so my daughter can have friends up there and we can still hear the tv down stairs.

Sunday afternoon was spent running lights in my yard. I'm still not done yet, but I do have a plan now.....

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
nwmod39

Re: What did you get done?

not trying to highjack your thread here but i just realized looking through mymarch 2005 classic truck that the black 77 is yours.
man that is a sweet truck. i too like the mild custom stock look.
great jub.
nwmod39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
crawdad

I got my truck back from the body shop Friday afternoon. I was having the frame aligned because the back end was sticking up so high. He told me that the frame was right on the money and didn't require any tweaking anywhere. He and another man got in the back of my truck and jumped up and down on the right rear corner of the bed, and, believe it or not, it now looks straight! It still is a little higher on the RR corner, but not near as noticeable as before. Go figure. I spent the rest of the weekend trying to make some headway on all the little (or not so little) things that need to be done to the truck, i.e., the defroster ain't working, there is no horn on the truck, replacing this and that, etc. I've actually made a list, kind of an attack plan, of everything that needs to be done. Hopefully when all of this is accomplished, I'll be ready for paint.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
.... I get to add a set of doors in the entry of my game room so my daughter can have friends up there and we can still hear the tv down stairs.
Ken, Ken, Ken..... I've met your daughter & know that although she's quiet when w/us, I'm sure it's a completely different story when she's among friends. I know Kelsey is the same way & there's no way 2 little french doors are going to keep that much noise contained. A cheaper investment (time & money) would have been some earplugs .

As for my weekend, I did some stuff around the house on Sat morning & then visited my good buddies @ the shop Sat afternoon. They were hard @ it & one of their projects is nearing completion & will be a contender @ the shows.

When I got home from the shop, I swapped the stock cam out of the old 350 for a new XE250H Comp Cams. That should put some pep in her step. Now it's time to button up the rest of it & get some color (first I need to pick-up a small space heater for the garage).

Today, on the 74 I swapped out the 'shrieking' blower motor (@ start-up anyway) for a new one & swapped the obnoxiously loud starter for another as well. It sounds soooooo much better & isn't nearly as embarrassing to start. I almost washed it but ran out of light. Maybe tomorrow......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-11-2005 at 07:52 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
1983shorty

after working 59 hrs this week i got the six cyl eng ready to pull out of my truck saturday. today i pulled it out and dropped in a 350 eng and 700r4 trans. found out my driveshaft is too short and i need a different trans crossmember if i want to use the headers that came with the eng. if i can get the crossmember in the next couple of days i will be able to get it running by next weekend. leaving for fla on the 21st so im hopin !
1983shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

I shoveled 6 inches of snow out of my driveway and put about 500 pounds of snow in the bed for ballast. At least until it starts to melt! Did some Christmas shopping too.
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

My truck now has an SM465 transmission and NP-205 transfercase installed

By the end of the week, I should have my driveshafts, electrical, brakes, and carburator installed, and have the truck up and running.

I am putting the TPI into my closet until I can afford an EFI freindly camshaft, and the `730 ecm / memcal I still need for the speed density conversion.

Basically, my truck should be moving under its own power by the end of this next week, assuming I don't spend all my time working on a forum member's truck I've got at my place for a diesel conversion at the moment (told him I'd pull his front clip, and 350 engine so when he gets here next weekend we just gotta drop the turbo 6.2 in, and install the new front sheet metal)
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I am putting the TPI into my closet until I can afford an EFI freindly camshaft, and the `730 ecm / memcal I still need for the speed density conversion.
One word. Megasquirt.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I worked all weekend liks usual. I need a vacation to start my upcoming project. It's going to take long enough to get it done.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
82c10
needin' money

didn't do anything truck related (sort of), i am going to texas next weekend to pickup the camaro i was talkin about last week, this one

and decided what i am going to do to it, first of all new exhaust, and on the truck i was thinking about what all i was going to do to it, i am thinking about taking all the interior out, and putting bedliner stuff in it, dyeing the door panels, or covering them up with material, i was supposed to watch some racing, but everyone i called was either threw for the night or their vehicles apart, my friend with the alcohol burnin 85 swb, sort of chickened out, he didn't want to risk the truck, ( i don't blame him) and thats all

Last edited by 82c10; 12-11-2005 at 11:14 PM.
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #11
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Had a Christmas party at work. Had a few too many drinks, but kept myself under control. Saturday went to my brothers and played cards!! I WON!!! Came home at 1:00 and played online till 5 am. Today I had to go into work. A local DQ caught fire so I had to do some repair work.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #12
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Finally got the 68 out of storage and started working on it. I boxed the frame and got one C-notch in and welded. I'm hoping that I can get the other side done next week and I can start installing the Air Ride. Thanks for all the pointers Scoti. This should probably go on the 67-72 side but I mainly lurk on this side of the fence.

Last edited by n2billet; 10-29-2006 at 10:28 PM.
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmod39
not trying to highjack your thread here but i just realized looking through mymarch 2005 classic truck that the black 77 is yours.
man that is a sweet truck.....
Highjacking is permitted (and appreciated) when your handing out compliments...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Ken, Ken, Ken..... I've met your daughter & know that although she's quiet when w/us, I'm sure it's a completely different story when she's among friends. I know Kelsey is the same way & there's no way 2 little french doors are going to keep that much noise contained. A cheaper investment (time & money) would have been some earplugs ......
I know this, and you know this, and so does my wife. It's her thinly disguised excuse to get me to install the doors that she has always wanted....
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet
.... This should probably go on the 67-72 side but I mainly lurk on this side of the fence.
We have a lot of guys that own 73-87 and 67-72. Unlike some "classic truck" owners, we ain't prejudice in this forum. Post here all you want...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #15
Izzy
Trucker.

Pulled the ancient Alpine alarm out of the wifes truck today. It would randomly go off when not armed.

Last edited by Izzy; 12-12-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #16
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Saturday was my middle daughter's 6th birthday party, we had about 40 kids there, man was that interesting.. They all had a blast though.
Today I worked on the blazer a little and got it semi-roadworthy.. I put 3 tires on it, tightened the nuts on the front spindle/rotor, and checked all of the balljoints and tierod ends. At least I got it to the point where I am not scared to dirve it. , but I wont be hauling any of the family around until I do at least on round of mods/repairs, like lowering/rebulding front suspension, just to make me feel better.
I too should probably be over on the 67-72 side, but I tend to hang out over here more as well.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #17
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
Saturday was my middle daughter's 6th birthday party, we had about 40 kids there, man was that interesting.. They all had a blast though.
Today I worked on the blazer a little and got it semi-roadworthy.. I put 3 tires on it, tightened the nuts on the front spindle/rotor, and checked all of the balljoints and tierod ends. At least I got it to the point where I am not scared to dirve it. , but I wont be hauling any of the family around until I do at least on round of mods/repairs, like lowering/rebulding front suspension, just to make me feel better.
I too should probably be over on the 67-72 side, but I tend to hang out over here more as well.
did you also sell the 86
Old 12-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #18
bagged74
its just $$$$$

kinda sold it/traded it, long story but yeah its not mine anymore. It is still in the family though.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #19
82c10
needin' money

what did you trade it for
Old 12-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #20
84slopwaggin

I got the old motor out of my 84GMC. What I thought was a tired 305 was in fact a tired 350 after doing research on mortec. Come to find out it's from a 73 camaro(3970014). Had I known that at first I would have just taken the truck to local rebuild shop and had it rebuilt. It's cool though I will just have the short block rebuilt for a future project, but had I known the truck would have been running already. No hurry
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet
Finally got the 68 out of storage and started working on it. I boxed the frame and got one C-notch in and welded. I'm hoping that I can get the other side done next week and I can start installing the Air Ride. Thanks for all the pointers Scoti. This should probably go on the 67-72 side but I mainly lurk on this side of the fence.
I was looking through a box of brackets & metal scrap today & I came across one of the 'ears' I trimmed off the shock mounts of the Beater. It should provide a decent guide for trimming the mount down this week.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #22
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Stuffed an HEI, plugs, and wires in the UPS truck, runs like a top now

Had to replace the radiator in Mom's Exploder, friggin' tensioner went south took out the fan which looked great stickin' out of the radiator
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 AM   #23
GMCLS1
1987 GMC Sierra Classic

I got all the carpet in, the vents, the dash, and the door panels. I hope to get the seat back in tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #24
86 GMG

not much truck stuff friday night went to a christmas party saturday i got up with the wife and went to a friends house off the lake had lunch and just hung out went ny the house we want again and found out some more info on it sunday i layed around for a bit and then staightened up the garage and rearranged the tool box to make it a little more convenent after that i installed an egr block off plate and washed the old farm truck that i have been driving as a daily. now im scared to drive it im afraid it will fall apart
Old 12-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #25
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I replaced the EGR valve on the 87 R10 driver due to the Check engine code that was re-occuring. So far it appears to have solved the problem. I pulled the dash apart on the 90 burb I aquired for parts to figure out why it wasn't throwing codes after I unsuccessully tried to replace the bulb. To my suprise, it is throwing the same codes as my 87, so I got an EGR for it also. Didn't have time to install it though...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote