The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
aggiedave98

HAVE to fix slow power windows

Ok guys, this is really getting embarassing when I have to put my hand on the window and push it down at the drivethrough as I'm hitting the down button...

I asked about this a year ago and tried, but no luck...

My power windows (driver's side is the worst, followed by passenger side, then back windows...) go down really slow. The driver's side will stop after a little bit and I have to wait on it for the motor to cool off. I was told there is a cutoff for overheating.

I tried to clean it off with paint thinner, some q-tips, etc. by taking the door apart and cleaning the tracks, but no luck.

This is really a problem. HELP!!!
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Kantosensei

Re: HAVE to fix slow power windows

Last weekend I took my wifes Toyota van (I live in Japan and Chevy's are hard to come by) window apart, cleaned everything (regulators and gears), put it back together and then I sprayed silicone in the channels. Now it works fine. I also sprayed silicone in the passenger side channels and sped it up a bit. I also just installed new regulators and channels in my 72 Blazer (probably the only 72 Blazer in Japan) and sprayed the new channels with silicone and it made a huge difference. And thats my two cents or should I say two yen.
Kantosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

it is possible that you are going to have to replace the motor if they are starting to slow down and you have verified that it is actually the motor causeing the problem
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
aggiedave98

Kanto, I was actually in Tokyo and Tskuba a few months ago!! Didn't see any Blazers!! What is the regulator?? How do I take all those things out?? Seems to be impossible to get in the door!!

Hmmm.... Captkaos, has anybody else replaced the motors?? How do I verify if it's actually the motor??

thanks.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Yes, I am in the process of replacing one on a Suburban I bought for parts. I am just pulling the whole regulator/motor out and replacing it with a spare since I have it.

About 2 months ago I replace the motor in my brothers 2002 Z28, it stopped working completely.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

As suggested, try some spray silicone in the tracks, and see if thay makes a difference. Also, make sure your weatherstrips arent getting out of place, and slowing things down. I have one, on the driver's side, that pinched the weatherstrip in one spot, which slows it down quite a bit.

If the spray silicone doesn't help, and there's no weatherstrip action going on, I would suggest replacing the motor. It's easier to take out the whole regulator/motor assembly, replace the motor, then put the regulator/motor assembly back in. The regulator is the thing that the motor is mounted to, and consists of the scissor type linkage that rides in the window channel, that makes the window go up and down.

It's sort of a pain to do the first time, but once you do it you'll get the hang of it.

The Haynes manual I have details the replacement fairly well (surprisingly enough!). They're cheap, and a good source of some information, and still available at Autozone. I would suggest picking one up for this, it'll help a lot!
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
aggiedave98

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. that helps. I actually have the factor manual and a chilton, but it seems like once I had it apart it was so hard to get in there that the manuals didn't help much... I'll have to try again.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiedave98
Bob,

Thanks for the explanation. that helps. I actually have the factor manual and a chilton, but it seems like once I had it apart it was so hard to get in there that the manuals didn't help much... I'll have to try again.

Thanks!

That's the part of the manuals I love, when they tell you to simply "remove it". Well, yeah, but how??

Basically, if I remember right from doing mine, you take out the vent window/front track assembly (two or three screws on the door frame, and some on the inner door panel), then remove the window by sliding the track off the regulator. That will gain you a little room to get the regulator out, I found that I had to pry the two metal door panels a bit with a block of wood to make a little more space.

Getting it back in and lined up is the fun part, takes a couple times of trial and error, but have patience and you'll get it.
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote