The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
aggiedave98

really bouncy ride...

While doing my 3" front/ 2" back lift on my '89 suburban 1/2ton 2wd, I put in I think like Pro-comp brand 2" lifted leaf springs. But now, my ride bounces all over the place and it's really annoying... is there anything I can do to help it?? I have a really heavy tongue weight trailer that I can get a hold of... would it help to tow that around a little bit to mash them down?? It's been 1.5 years now and they're still really bouncy...

thanks!
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: really bouncy ride...

What do you mean by bouncy? It sounds to me like you really mean hard/harsh?
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
cdowns

you can go with heavier duty shocks// also alot of the guys that lift vehicles have 2-3 or even 4 shocks per wheel// also less air pressure might help//if you're running steel wheels get aluminum wheels for less unsprung weight
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
llegos

well that many shocks really isnt necessary, but if it helps, there is nothing wrong with it...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
LONGHAIR

Most lifted trucks have a stiffer ride.....bouncey in the seat, not the entire truck. Adding shocks to that will just make it worse. The point of multiple shocks is to add oil volume and thus cooling. The Baja type off-road racers started this years ago, but the shocks they use are very "loose". They use 2-3 sometimes 4 per wheel....but each one is only doing part of the job. That way they don't get too hot and fade. These trucks have an extreme amount of wheel travel though. The street use is purely for looks and if 2 "normal" shocks are used a stiffer ride usually comes with it. Shocks are there to take out the natural reaction of the springs to slowly come to a rest after a bump.......more shocks on a stiff spring does nothing. The stiff ones don't bounce much because they don't travel very far to begin with.

So it all comes down to...What is bouncing? the entire truck or the passengers in the seats?

If it isthe whole truck, shocks should indeed help.
If it is just the passengers, softer springs are the cure.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
aggiedave98

Hmmm... I would have to say the entire truck because the other day I was driving pretty aggresively on some road under construction and had the rear end bounce up enough to "grab" the pavement when it came back down.

But normally let's say driving down the highway with a dip in it, the passengers definitely get tossed up some. I would say bouncy to describe it instead of harsh.

Here's some more data... there are some speed bumps at work... if I drive over them slowly, the rear end really bounces up and anything i have it the back can get thrown up in the air. If I go faster, it feels harsher but the rear end doesn't bounce up as much (and anything I have in the back is more likely to stay in place).

You know it kind of seems like the shocks should be absorbing more of the action from the spring. It kind of seems like the springs are bouncing around without getting dampered.

I'm pretty they were pro-comp shocks. I have 32" BFG All terrains on there also. And I do have them at probably 42 psi.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 AM   #7
aggiedave98

Any suggestions for the shocks?? How do I make sure they fit with the 2" lift?? Is it ok to just replace the rear ones since I don't seem to have a problem w/ the front ones??

BTW, I'm assuming you guys mean getting heavier duty ones, not adding more of them...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
LONGHAIR

It still sounds like stiff to me. "Bouncey" as in worn or non functioning shocks is when you run over a bump (like those speed bumps) and the truck continues to move up and down like a trampoline. Shocks will take the rythmic bounce away.......they can't do anything for stiff.

Try this test.........it's free. LOL
Disconnect the shocks that you have now and run over the same speedbump. If it is stiffness you will probably not see any difference. If it gets worse the shocks you have are either worn-out or not heavy enough.

Remember the shocks just take out the "pogo stick" repetitive bounce, if you are only getting a single bang, new shocks aren't going to help.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
cdowns

42PSI ???? 32 is more like it//you might also try out a less aggressive road friendly tire for a better softer ride//off road type of tires give you an offroad type of ride highway type tires give you a highway type of ride when properly inflated
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
bigarmzz

damn dude, lower your air pressure
try around 28psi

that def wont hurt anything none
Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
aggiedave98

41 is what's on my driver's door... so why is that so crazy?? I'll lower them and see how much it helps. I doubt it would help the "speed bump" problem much though...

BTW, I had highway tires before I did the lift, etc. and I would have no traction on boat ramps. These tires are great for traction... now, I never have any problem on them.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 AM   #12
LONGHAIR

The pressure listed on the driver's door is for the original tires. Bigger tires like those need a lower pressure. Also at the lower pressure they will be even better on the boat ramp. Exact pressure depends on the vehicle and even the numbers printed on the tire itself won't be perfect. Generally the pressure printed on the sidewall is the maximum and should only be used when fully loaded. I would say that somewhere in the 28-32 range would be good. Maybe more in the rear while towing, especially if the boat trailer has significant tongue weight.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #13
aggiedave98

longhair, thanks. I had asked when I got them about what to fill them to, but never really got conscensus...

will give that a try... I still think I need to figure out the springs/shocks as well...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #14
72MARIO

I am willing to bet you shocks are way too short. The shocks should be compressed 1/2 way when they are bolted into place. So if your distance between the mount points is 20" then you should have 10" compresssed inside. What is happening the springs compress then they relsease and pop up and are limited too quick as to the stopping point.

I lifted my 84 and Now have the same problem I need longer shocks to correct the problem.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
aggiedave98

hhmmm... the shocks I bought were for a 3" lift, so I would think they should be ok.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #16
72MARIO

Well just check the length. That would be where I would start. Well after I confirmed tire pressure.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #17
aggiedave98

Ok guys, I lowered the air pressure from about 41 to 32psi and it made a pretty big difference... you guys probably think I'm an idiot, but why would I think to use something different from the door??

Anyway, thanks for the help!! I still think my springs are too bouncy, but I guess that's expected with the additional arching for the 2" lift...

I may try lowering to 28 psi and see how that works also.

BTW, I think one of the reasons I did 41psi was becuase the tires "look" too low with 32psi... I guess just not used to that w/ the big tires...

thanks again.