The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
76bonanza

new plugs

Running new plugs in the truck about how long should I run them before checking to see how they are burning? Daily driver about 15 miles day.

thanks
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: new plugs

I wouldn't go to the trouble of pulling a spark plug, just to see how it's burning. I don't believe you'd really get an accurate picture, if you did. That doesn't mean that you won't see something, but what if you don't? If the insulator is clean, maybe even a light tan-gray color, then fine. But, what if it is sooty? Is it the same as it was when you changed them? If so, you have a pattern of combustion within a given cylinder.

But, to arbitrarily pull a plug, or all of them, just to "see how they're burning" is a lot of trouble. If you were racing, and you wanted to know, you'd pull them. But to see how a given cylinder is doing, I've always understood that you have to go from a normal driving, or racing condition, and just shut it off. Running it after that point, will only cause the color of the insulator to change, and will not present the picture you really want to know.

There are devices on the market that would enable you to look at what is happening in the combustion chamber, but I don't see a normal person having one or access to such.

Unless mine fouls a plug, or I decide that it's time, I don't pull my spark plugs just to see what's going on.

If you're having a problem with gas fouling, or oil fouling, short of repairing the engine you have few options. If you are running a plug that is too cold, or too hot, you should be able to tell fairly easily. A cold plug will usually be more prone to gas fouling in slow speed, i.e., low RPM, conditions. Hotter plugs, which may be used by someone with a problem of oil-fouling, will continue to oil-foul, but maybe less often that with a normal heat range plug.

With gas fouling, ususally caused by a rich mixture...whether caused by a defective carburetor, too much carburetor or other incidental factors.....I don't think you can put in a different plug that will "solve" the problem. If it is oil-fouling the plugs, then the problem could be leaking valve guide oil seals, or bad rings, or worn cylinders, or a couple of other items. Using "non-foulers" may help, but it's only temporary. If you run them, you'll find that your engine is prone to ignition knock, or at least that is what I found in my case. But, that was 20+ years ago.

These comments are just quick and not all-inclusive. I don't know everything about this topic, but I have seen some of these such conditions in 40+ years of driving and some casual wrench-pulling. Oh, the Hot Rod, Car Craft and such, of years past, offered a lot of comment on such topics....pre-computer days, for sure.

Bottom line? Don't bother unless you have a problem.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-14-2005 at 07:09 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
76bonanza

Here is my sit. New plugs are one range cooler I am concerened about gas fouling. Never had a plug foul will I know from how the truck runs if one fouls?

Thanks
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
truckdude239

oh yeah you'll know if will run bad

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If your engine fouls a plug, the plug will not fire. When that happens, you will detect a "miss". That "miss" will also manifest itself as a shuddering when you accelerate. At that point, you'll then have to determine WHICH plug isn't firing. There are several ways to do that, but pulling the plug wire off of a running engine, one wire at a time, is NOT the way to find it.....unless you're seriously short of your senses. I don't mean to make light of the situation, but there have been some instances when people just didn't know what they were doing.......

Like, peeing on the sparkplugs of a running flathead Ford, while standing on the fender, barefooted....

If you are driving 15 miles/day, you should be able to easily tell if the truck is running right, or not.

I had a '65 Chevy, running a '71 GMC 350, that gas-fouled the plugs very, very often. Trust me on this one, you'll know.....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote