The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2002, 11:52 AM   #1
Paul Clark

Carrier Bearing

Should there be any play in the carrier bearing if I grab the rear driveshaft and wiggle it. Mine seems pretty loose. (72 C10)
Are they a bear to replace?
I have the box slid back to do painting. Is there any advantage to doing it now when I can get to the top?
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 12:14 PM   #2
dion
72 Cheyenne

It shouldn't be too loose, mine is shot also. Seems to me it should be pretty easy to replace.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

thats backlash between the ring and pinion gear or worn out spiders or a combination of the two but more than likely spider wear. Its probably not the carrier bearings. Spiders are easy to change.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:26 PM   #4
Cyco Path

Grab the rear driveshaft as close to the carrier bearing as possible and wiggle it. It shouldn't have much play at all there. Replacing it isnt terrible but it's much easier with a press to remove and install the u-joints.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:46 PM   #5
Paul Clark

Don't know if this means anything or not, but I'm grabbing the rear driveshaft right behind the carrier bearing. That's where it wobbles. If it was the rear end stuff, shouldn't it have play back there?
I don't know squat about this stuff, so help me out here.
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:38 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

The carrier bearings are located on either side of the carrier. The pinion bearing is the one you are talking about. If you have side to side play then you have a pinion bearing problem that should be adressed and it will involve removing the rear end and pressing out the pinion gear and then resetting the pinion depth once its reinstalled. You'll need a gasket set, bearings, crush sleeve etc. You can do it yourself If you are really committed and have some decent measuring tools and are too broke to have someone with the proper tooling do it. Or change the rear end with a known good one. Lot cheaper that way. If its slop between gear mesh when you turn the pinion gear back and forth in its rotation then thats a different problem involving spiders or backlash although backlash and carrier bearing problems dont last too long before metal turns into little metal. Just make sure you dont just have sloppy U joints before you go tearing into the differential.