The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
Greubin

Problem areas to look for?

Hi All - I've been searching for a decent project 67-72 chevy truck for about 6 weeks now. I haven't seen any in person as they don't last long here in the bay area. I have a few picked out for tomorrow and was wondering what common problem areas I should be aware of. I know about the rear corners of the cab are prone to rusting ( bad window seal? ) and rocker panels as well. Anything else?

thanks!!

Greubin
Greubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #2
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Re: Problem areas to look for?

The drip rail area above the windshield, door corners, cab mounts. Take a magnet so you can check for Bondo and a mirror to look under the truck's cab at the body mounts. I would also look at the floorboards inside and out as well as the kick panels. The drain holes in the front section of the bed easily plug up and will hold water causing rust.The cowl area under the hood has a tendency to rot out as well. Remember rust repair is expensive to treat and repair. I would and did take a rust free non-runner instead of a rust bucket runner.

Take it easy and good luck....Bill
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Greubin

Re: Problem areas to look for?

Thanks for the replies, good info. I looked at a 71 swb today, pictures looked nice in ad. But in person, door,cab, fenders gaps were all screwy..huge holes inside rear corners of cab. Also, many sheet metal repairs to undeside of doors, and inside cab kicker panels..looked like arc welding from from clean. Here's a link to the adhttp://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/118979175.html I just couldn't justify his asking price, though he did come down considerably, but I went with the gut feeling. Anyway, it was good to look at one, gives me an idea of what to look for. I tend to agree with Screamin_C10 non-runner statement. The SWB C10's are so overpriced here..I looked at Traderonline.com and found some very nice trucks in AZ and TX for the same price and appear to be in much better cond. Search continues...

Happy Holidays!!

Greubin

Last edited by Greubin; 12-19-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Greubin is offline   Reply With Quote