The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
Coleman

newbee question

I've been reviewing the posts for some time and I've got some generic questions on a future project (yet to buy). For the 60-66 year trucks, do I look for the best body and not worry about the motor and trans combo or what. If I'm looking at building a somewhat modern truck with disk brakes, V8, PS and an auto tranny, do I keep the existing frame or swap out to a newer/later model rolling frame and build new cab mounts to fit the cab and box. I would like to keep as much stock as I can but I'm not sure what parts are available, what swaps and what to stay away from. Sorry for the generic, open ended question but I need somewhere to start.
Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: newbee question

Sheet metal rust repair will be the biggest issue in restoring an old truck. It takes a lot of time and money. The only wat to do it, so the body will last, is to weld in patch panels. Engine and drivetrain parts are far easier to replace. That makes finding a relatively rust-free body the biggest challenge.

Frame swaps get into a host of problems. It's usually easiest to modify, clean and paint the original frame. With the 64-66 trucks you can swap the front crossmember with a later truck and have disc brakes. Swapping differentials, trannies and engines is relatively easy.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The body is about the only thing I ever worry about. Engines, trans, and suspension stuff is everywhere and doesn't get rust out or dents like a body does.

I'd reccomend a 63-66 truck with the plans you have in mind. The 61 and 62 trucks used a torsion bar front suspension that's kind of odd. They went to normal coil spring front suspension in 63 and newer. You can swap any pickup front suspension into one using a donor all the way up through 87 model year.

On my 64 Suburban, I used all 67-72 stuff like engine mounts and accesories. Even used a 72 steering column. A lot of stuff directly interchanges into these older trucks.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Frizzle Fry

I'm doing a body swap, but if my goals were as you describe; just modernizing the drivetrane/suspension, I'd take the advice of Fred and Tx. Unless you want active handleing and ABS, a rebuilt -87 suspension setup is not much different than the new stuff. As far as drivetrane is concerned, I'd reccommend a Gen III of some sort (5.3,6.0,ls1,ls2....ls7 )
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote