The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
kmr16442

no spark in my life

Really no spark in my truck is really what I'm dealing with. I have a 67 with a 350 motor with points ignition. I let the truck sit for a year and went to start it and no spark is happening. I replaced the points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, condensor, and coil and still no spark.

I've checked the voltage at the plus side of the coil and I have 12 volts with the key on and zero with key off. I'm getting 8 volts at the positive during cranking. The points are opening and closing with a small spark. The wire from the points to the negative side of the coil was checked for continuity. When the points opening and close the voltage on the negative goes from zero to 12 volts.

Any ideas on what to check/try next? Should I run a jumper from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil and bypass the switch side of the situation? My other thought was maybe the new coil was crap. It is stamped on the outside with a message to use an external resistor only. Is this the correct type?

Thanks for any help in advance! I'd love to get my truck up and running again.
kmr16442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
chevybill

Re: no spark in my life

You should have a "healthy" blueish spark when the points fire.
How does the spark look at a spark plug?
Have you checked fire at the plug?-with a plug out of the head and grounded to the engine turn over the engine and you can see the plug fire.

You could also check your grounds.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
kmr16442

Thanks for the reply chevybill.
I pulled a plug and grounded it and absolutely zilch! When the points open and close I get a tiny spark, about the same spark you get from a charcoal grill ignitor. I put a new ground strap to the engine and another one to the chassis.

Could it be possible to be getting the right voltage at the plus side of the coil but not enough amperage?

I'm stumped!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Guardrail
And Don't Call Me Shirley

It sure sounds to me like you should have spark at the plugs. Can you swap out that coil to make sure it's not the culprit?
1972 K10 Longbed (restoration begins June 2020)
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
chops333

ever thought about hei thats the way i would go or if you want to keep the stock look maybe a pertronics set up just a thought
chops333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
kmr16442

Well an update on my spark problem. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the problem or to bite the bullet and get HEI or Pertronix instead. I glanced through my Chevy service manual and noticed it gave point gap specs. I thought this was odd since also in this manual it told me the gap was preset on the points and only the dwell was adjustable. Anyway I got out my trusty feeler gauge and sure enough the gap was way wide. I didn't know how to adjust it so I decided to turn the dwell screw anyway and got the points much closer. I sprayed the carb opening with starter fluid and the old girl kicked right over. Boy do I feel kinda stupid! My next problem is the truck runs about 5 seconds or so and dies. I pulled the top off the carb and it is all gunked up. I swear I cleaned out the carb a little while ago but now that I think about it; it probably has been a year. I know because my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia almost a year ago and the truck has been a very low priority. Amazing how priorities change with news like that. I'm going to get some carb cleaner and a rebuild kit and get the carb back in shape.

A new question I have is should I do something with the tank? Would you suggest having it cleaned out or just drained and filled with fresh gas?

Thanks, you guys are the best and this board is awesome!
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
jhow66

Drain and refill.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote