The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

IFS install

For those interested, I've been posting over in the 47-55 message board section on the installation of an IFS in my 54. I'm a first timer so, it may be worth some laughs as I bumble through it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post1530609
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Bowtie67

Re: IFS install

Been keeping an eye on it, Hopefully the IFS system you got had some good instructions for installation so you wont have to go through what I did on my first ifs install that I am having to pull out and redo over and spending a bunch more bucks to get a system that is properly engineered. Good luck! and double check all your work before everything is completely welded in and then have to undo it. I had talked with the guys from TCI after I had started having issues with the frontend I got.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

Question Re: IFS install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie67
Been keeping an eye on it, Hopefully the IFS system you got had some good instructions for installation so you wont have to go through what I did on my first ifs install that I am having to pull out and redo over and spending a bunch more bucks to get a system that is properly engineered. Good luck! and double check all your work before everything is completely welded in and then have to undo it. I had talked with the guys from TCI after I had started having issues with the frontend I got.

What IFS did u get and have some many problems with? what was it goin in to? im just wondering cuz i will be puttin a fat man fab mustang 2 kit with power rack in my 64 chev truck soon.

Thanks, Aaron
AesC10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

The instruction that came with the kit are so so. TCI also had a "How To" on their site that was actually an article out of a magizine depicting a aftermarket shop putting one of their systems in a truck. Color pictures and all. The combination of both documents is great.
As a side note, I had made up my mind on Fat Man Fabrications as well. What swung me to TCI was a special that I ran across. I got the complete front end, power steering upgrade, motor mounts, transmission crossmember and free shipping for 1585.00. On top of that, I was able to get the sway bar thrown in for the smaller upgrade price and no shipping.
Sweeeet.
Those deals are still out there. Here's a link to where I picked up on the deal. If it doesn't fit yours, go to their store and look around. Those option really add up. To get them thrown in is a major plus. The quality is great, it just has to be welded in. My only thing that doesn't make me jump for joy is the shocks that come with it. They're actually Car Qwest shocks. That's OK though. I'll put better one's on later.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776

Last edited by 3100 special; 12-27-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesC10s
What IFS did u get and have some many problems with? what was it goin in to? im just wondering cuz i will be puttin a fat man fab mustang 2 kit with power rack in my 64 chev truck soon.
Thanks, Aaron
I purchased an IFS from Scotts HotRods, they're systems are basically stolen from other peoples designs. They are basically a body shop trying to get into the aftermarket suspension market. They don't have an actually engineer that designs these they just modify an existing template and hope it fits and works as with this setup they don't give any directions for installation. Orginally the front end was to be a 4" drop, but when it was together the tires with a coilover setup was resting on the inner fender well. they sent new shocks, modified both lower control arms so that they would both be pointed down at an angle for somewhat of the ride hight I wanted. Both of the lower control arms broke the shock mounts and I ended up having to buy another set of shocks. I had to reweld and add taller supports to the new shock mounts so they would hold and properly set my ride hight that I had wanted to begine with. This whole deal with these guys was a major ordeal dealing with them, 6-8 months from the time I ordered the front end till I got everything from them. I have the front end pretty much taken care of now but because it is all welded in and the cross member is basically setting a tad to high (under normal conditions it would be fine) for the stroker oil pan I need to run.
I just purchased the Fatman bolt in kit and it took less than ten days to get everything (and with directions), I will also be lowering, and narrowing my rear suspension to accept wider tires and using a performance 4 link setup in the rear to try and get some traction. Because of all of this I have been researching and putting a list together of what else I will need to build a whole new frame out of 2x4 boxed steel. My first plans will actually be to build a jig to layout the whole frame, mounts and suspension so I can build more frames down the road.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"

Last edited by Bowtie67; 12-28-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Finished the IFS!!!
Happy New Year!!!