The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Going low, Front end?

Hey guys,
Well I am new to the site and have just recently started on a new project. I was hopeing that someone could give me some tips on how to drop the front of my 70 c-10. I am thinking drop spindles, bags, and maybe some new control arms (possible a dropped crossmember)? If anyone could help in telling me who they think makes the best product and where I can get a descent deal on it. Also I am looking to run the biggest wheel possible, that will probably make a difference. Thanks!
BigShoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

Re: Going low, Front end?

Depends on what you wanna do with the setup... Hop, drag, or just cruise low.
Airbags
Bag Brackets
2.5" Drop Spindles
Summit sells 3" drop spindles also

Now go spend some money
Old 12-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
BigShoe24
True Addiction

One other thing, I am hopeing to run a 22x10" wheel. I was wondering what, if any front track widths would be changed by after market spindles, and control arms. I think I want it to be stock or maybe narrower to allow room for the wider wheel. Also, I want to make sure that I am able to use an aftermarket rotor and caliber in 5 lug. Thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
pebbleboy
Son Of Gravel Man

What ya gonna run on the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
What one man calls a budget part, another man calls his entire budget.
pebbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Would be great if someone could post pic's of different front end suspension. Maybe some with dropped x-memebers, or Z'd frames? Thanks. Also, how do you post pictures inside your reply's? Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
BK
BK Built

check out my site at www.cardomain.com/id/badpanl ive got quite a few pics of me z-ing my frame... 4", not the usual 2". Fathead_03@hotmail.com is my e-mail if you have questions, or pm me on here.
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Well, I'm planning on ordering the strong arms from Air Ride, the early classic 5-lug conversion disc brake kit w/2.5" drop spindle, Slam RE7 bags this Monday. Anyone want on here tell me why I shouldn't do this? I hope all of these will work with one another and although alittle pricey, it all seems to be high quality. Any suggestion?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Phatt47

The main thing you acomplish with a low front end is you look cool, in the parking lot and slow cruising way low is where its at, however while on the highway going 50-80 MPH you want to be safe not cool.With a stock camaro clip and air ride bags I can drop my truck so the bumper is 1 inch off the ground, thats as close to the ground as I want my truck to be if an air bag fails and I unexpectly drop down while going 50-80 MPH. Just a 1in dropped spindel would put me in the danger area. Now if you want too lay frame and throw sparks thats a different story, in that case looks come first kinda makes me think of a good jackass video.
Phatt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Hart_Rod

I did something similar with my 69 Suburban:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=174330
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Hart Rob, Thanks for the great pictures, is there anything that you would have done differently if you were doing it again? I just want to cover everything before I order all the parts. Thanks for the help again.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #11
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShoe24
Hart Rob, Thanks for the great pictures, is there anything that you would have done differently if you were doing it again? I just want to cover everything before I order all the parts. Thanks for the help again.

I probably wouldn't have done the dropped spindles. They're really not needed. The front tires usually hit the inner fenders or the lower control arm lays on the ground. I think it would do this without the spindles. If you are trying to lay rockers, you will probably have to do a cross member modification and remove your inner fenders. I would also relocate the lower shock mount to the top of the lower a-arm. As sent by ART, it is the lowest point on the front end and is easy to drag. If wanting to lay rocker you will also have to do a serious step notch in the rear. I've got a bolt in c-notch from CPP and 2 inch lower blocks and the rear won't get near as low to the ground as the front.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 02-20-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 AM   #12
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Im looking to go with a drop spindle-disc brake conversion kit from either CPP or ECE. I also plan on getting some strong arms from ART. The only thing I have yet to figure out is weather I should go with a earlier than 70 or 71 and later. I've read that the 71 and later runs a larger diameter wheel bearings. This could be a plus for running big wheels. Can anyone help me out? Also whats the differeance, balljoints, and tie rod ends? Thanks for the help, I just dont want to order all this stuff and it not work together.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Well, I just ordered a 5-lug drop spindle disc converstion kit from CPP. I comes with 73'-87' balljoints and tie-rod ends. Also did the upgrade for some drilled and slotted rotors, mostly for looks. I also order a step-notch from Kp and front upper plates for my slam bags, I didnt get bottom cups because I plan on running strong arms, in which the bags bolts directly to, if Im correct. I hope all this stuff works good together. Any comments?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatt47
With a stock camaro clip and air ride bags I can drop my truck so the bumper is 1 inch off the ground,
With the variety of technically sound options available today, the Camaro clip method is no longer the way to go. I've done my share of Camaro clips over the years, but it's too "easy" to get these trucks low without such an extreme method-- bags, spindles, arms, xmember mods, z frame, etc.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
72MARIO

Quote:
With a stock camaro clip and air ride bags
It sure would be a cheep way to get your truck down low. Why not do it if you have a clip time and a little money ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #16
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO
It sure would be a cheep way to get your truck down low. Why not do it if you have a clip time and a little money ?
Still have to buy bags. Still (might) want spindles. Have to have a Camaro clip available. Have to chop your frame in half. Have to rework your steering. Have to "work" the motor mount-to-trans mount angles. Have to do a lot of measuring to find the right header. Have to rework the core support mount. And on and on.

Sure, if you don't mind these hurdles, it's doable. It's just that most of the other techniques discussed in this forum have become well-tested, somewhat "bolt-on" solutions. Even the Z is pretty "bolt-on" now that so many have worked through the method. Reinventing the wheel, while facilitating individualism, is sometimes lots more work to accomplish.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote