The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
53burb

serpentine setup ????s

I will be installing a serpentine belt system from a '92 Chevy 1/2 ton within the next couple of weeks and I have a few questions.

1. Harmonic Balancer - I am going to pull my HB off for another reason, but as long as I have to reinstall it, is it beneficial at all to use an 8" HB since I can, now that that the PS Pump bracket will not be getting in the way??

2. Alternator - I will be using a CS alternator. I already am using an SI alternator. I believe it is as simple as changing the pigtail to the CS style. Is this correct?? Check out this link - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157126

3. Cooling Fan - Eventually I will be going to an electric setup, but since I will be using a long water pump with a fan clutch, would it be better to remove the shroud entirely, or leave it in place, which will put the fan totally inside the shroud?? The fan that comes with it, I believe is only 15", compared to 19" for the stock one.

4. Power Steering Pump - Since the new pump will have metric fittings, is it better to use the original hoses with adapters on the pump end or use the new hoses with adapters on the gear box end??

Thanks for all/any help.

Last edited by 53burb; 12-28-2005 at 07:47 PM.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
BubbaGreen

Re: serpentine setup ????s

I will be installing a serpentine belt system from a '92 Chevy 1/2 ton within the next couple of weeks and I have a few questions.

What engine are you going to swap this too? Make sure you have all the threaded bosses in the heads and block to complete this.

1. Harmonic Balancer - I am going to pull my HB off for another reason, but as long as I have to reinstall it, is it beneficial at all to use an 8" HB since I can, now that that the PS Pump bracket will not be getting in the way??

I would say, keep the original, you may induce more issues....but someone else can answer this.

2. Alternator - I will be using a CS alternator. I already am using an SI alternator. I believe it is as simple as changing the pigtail to the CS style.

Just make sure the alternators are the same for your type wiring...ie, one-wire or three-wire. Three wire is a better set up for our trucks.

3. Cooling Fan - Eventually I will be going to an electric setup, but since I will be using a long water pump with a fan clutch, would it be better to remove the shroud entirely, or leave it in place, which will put the fan totally inside the shroud?? The fan that comes with it, I believe is only 15", compared to 19" for the stock one.

You dont say if you have a 2wd or 4wd, or which position your motor is in.
But...assuming you have a 350sbc, you need to use a serpentine fan with a serpentine setup, as the fan blade angles are different for a reverse rotation....Same goes for the water pump. You can either use a truck fan or a fan from an S-10. Get a fan clutch for what ever truck you took the parts from. A V6-305 shroud is near a perfect fit....or you can use a bigblock shroud. The stock 350 shroud opening is an extremely tight fit for newer fans. The BB shroud opening is 21" (I think) But its best to keep some sort of shroud in place, both for safety as well as cooling. If you have power steering...you can replacing the fitting in the back of the PS pump to match the older flared fitting hoses...the '92 will have the metric/oring fitting.
If you have any questions...pm me...I have pictures of my set up while trying to accomplish the same task. Another note, I used a 3-core radiator with SMALL tanks, this gives 1-1/4" between the core and the face of the fan clutch. Best of all, this set up looks like it was made for the truck.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
53burb

This will be going on a '69 2wd Burb with a 350 in the standard SBC location. The fan & fan clutch were included in the deal, both from the same 92 Chevy truck. Also, can u please send me the pics thru PM or this post as well??
Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
53burb

ttt
Old 12-29-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

53 burb,
i am presently installing a '92 suburban belt setup on my 72 chevy sbc motor truck.i asked the yard to give me everything related to the setup: ps pump & pulley, wtr pump & pulley, alt. & pulley, a.c. comp. & pulley h.b. & pulley, the tensioner & all related hardware. i am now founding out the problems!

1. st. rod supports to the manifold are too short.
2. bracket from ps pump & alt. to manifold doesn't fit. (i have headers)
3. pwr steer. pump from 'burb does not fit ( lines hit frame)
4. pwr steer. pump from my truck does not fit the serp. belt pulley from the '92 burb.

everything else seems to be ok! if anyone else has tried this it would be nice to hear what some of their solutions were (are)

hope this helps! and good luck!!

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
neonlarry

There are so many different serp setups it makes it hard to tell what will fit in what. I didn't have any clearance problems with the P\S pump (on which hoses to use use the stock ones, just take the fitting out of you original pump and put it in the new one). I also had to use a BB fan shroud for the fan to fit. On the CS alt read my replies on the above referenced post.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
53burb

Hopefully I won't have the same problems as rodstored-72. I would imagine I will be doing this next week. Anybody else have any other input???