The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
bagged74
its just $$$$$

3" drop spindle/control arm clearance issue

I have used DJM 3" drop spindles before and had to do some grinding on the spindle where the caliper mountsto get the factory rally wheels to work. I just installed a set of 3" TrailMaster spindles that I bought off Ebay. I had no clearance issues with the spindle itself, but the wheel is hitting the control arm. I did some grinding on the end of the arm itself to clear the wheel. The problem is that the wheel is hitting the control arm when I turn. I dont really want to do a lot of grinding on the control arm as I wont be running these wheels for long.
Can I use a 7" rally wheel to get some more clearance. I know they have 1/2" less backspacing which should help. Does anyone know for sure?
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
72MARIO

Re: 3" drop spindle/control arm clearance issue

I remember reading about the 3" spindles needing a 17" or bigger wheel. I would also agree that the narrow rims could help. SCOTI has a pretty low beater I wonder if he has 3" spindles .. Cause he is using Van rallys.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #3
SCOTI

My beater has 2.5" Western Chassis spindles.

I do have 3" Bell Tech spindles on my 74 & used the same stock 6.5" van ralleys w/o any problems. Once I put the 18x8's on there, I did have to trim the lower a-arm & it still rubs if I turn too far. If I had used less b.space (4.75 ~ 5") it wouldn't be an issue but then it might be rubbing on the outside somewhere. I picked my poison.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I run 3 inch spindles on my Blazer and had to use a 7 inch van rallys in the front for clearance. With the 8 inch truck rally, it rubbed badly.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I wish you had asked about this "before" you put the 73-87 front clip under there. My solution was to grind the lip off all the way back to the shock mount. I cut a boxing plate out of 3/16" and welded it to the bottom of the control arm to prevent it from cracking. I recessed it a bit so it didn't hang down....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
bagged74
its just $$$$$

you have any pics?? I didnt think the 73-87 spindles would be that big of an issue. I already had them, for the 86, so I figured I would just use them.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
you have any pics?? I didnt think the 73-87 spindles would be that big of an issue. I already had them, for the 86, so I figured I would just use them.
I thinks it's more about the amount of drop from the spindles vs. the year they're intended for.

I prefer the 73-87 stuff because replacement parts are easier to find. Try finding a 71-72 centerlink so everything will bolt up.... 73 & later are much easier to find.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
I thinks it's more about the amount of drop from the spindles vs. the year they're intended for.

I prefer the 73-87 stuff because replacement parts are easier to find. Try finding a 71-72 centerlink so everything will bolt up.... 73 & later are much easier to find.
yeah, thats kinda what I was thinking. I thougth I would change the centerlink to the later model when I add the power steering next week. That way I can use the pitman arm that is already on the steering box.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
No this was back when I first lowered my 82 Blazer. I didn't have a digi-cam then. Check with Keith (n2billet) he just put that suspension under his 68. He may have a chance to get a pic of it.

It's not a big deal really. I just made some templates and cut out 3/16's boxing plates that started right behind the ball joint area and went back about 6". It just would have been a very simple job if you had done it "before" it was under the truck...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote