The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
kanuck

few questions from a new guy......

I know I ask in the welcome column and was directed to a old tread, but the info seemed a little vaque. I have a 67 swb 1/2 ton six lug, and want to up grade to disc, and the lug pattern is not a big deal. I read about the lower A-arm swap to 3/4 ton and then using 1988 spindles and 6 lug rotors which sounds OK, and also mentioned is switching the whole cross member to one from the 80's. The question is , is the cross member a straight bolt in or does it have to be modified????
Also I was give a 81 beauville 1/2 ton van with 5 lug and tilt steering. Are any of the van front or rear suspension usable with my '67???
Also just got lined up on a 1984 6.2 diesel 2500 Suburban that I can get for cheap. Are any parts of this truck any good for any useable parts.
I would like to end up with a truck that handles nice,(sway bars) and brakes good,(disc conversion), and has a 4 spd auto tranny behind a stout 350 small block.
Thanks for any info......
Kanuck
kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 AM   #2
cflvulcan

Re: few questions from a new guy......

i wanna do the same to my truck. ive been doing research on it. but you didnt clarify if your truck was 4x4 or not. if its 2 wheel drive like mine your most likely gonna have to go with a 5 lug pattern. cause from 71 and up all the 1/2 ton/2x4 with discs were 5 lug. so youll have to change the rears to. the crossmember from 71-87 with discs will bolt on a 67. but if your truck is four wheel drive thatll be easier cause 71-87 had 6 lug 4x4 1/2 tons with discs. so the components off your suburban and van will work. and i guess the steering column out of your van will work. everyone has been telling me to that to mine cause im a tall person and i need a shorter column. and man my fingers are tired from typing. later man...

tom
cflvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
MDC

Early Classics has 5 or 6 lug rotors that will bolt up. Your xmember,a arms and ball joints. No need to cut up your truck.

They also have 5 lug rear axles
www.xpressboats.com

Nothing says 'poor craftmanship' like wrinkles in your duct tape

Last edited by MDC; 12-30-2005 at 03:05 AM.
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
kanuck

Guess I need to add a little more info......My truck is a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with coil spring rear suspension. I know almost everything I need is availible from the aftermarket to up date to disc and 5 or 6 lug, but being up here in Canada there is the shipping, duty and exchange on the dollar that all add up. If I can use components that I can get locally would really help, exspecially if the vehicals at my disposal have components that are useable. So does a 2 wheel drive front cross member from a 73 to 88 or so truck, interchange with the 67 or even just using the 67-69 3/4 ton lower A-arm to get the large ball joint help put a 80's style spindle on the 1967 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive?
Like I said I have a 1981 1/2 ton van sitting in the yard to strip if any parts fit, and looks like I can strip a 3/4 ton 1984 suburban for real cheap if any of the suspension components will work. Don't care if I end up 6 lug or 5, I also have a 9" disc brake rear end here all ready with a 5 on 5 pattern if I want to change the rear.
Trying to make a good handling and braking daily driver, not a show truck.

Thanks, Kanuck....
kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

The crossmember off a 73+ should bolt up (2 bolt holes to drill). This is how I'm planning to disc my 70. I decided to go this route for a couple of reasons. I had one given to me being the main reason. Plus the fact that the suspension components are a LOT cheaper didn't hurt either. To use the power steering your probably gonna have to dimple your frame (some of the guys who have done it can tell you how).

I have no clue if the van suspension is the same as the truck. The suburban stuff should be the same as a truck, but isn't that 8 lug?

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Bob Moore

About the van - the rotors, calipers, spindles, UPPER control arms should fit. The LOWER control arms have a different size mounting/bushing diameter IIR. Might be able to use the tie rods, idler arm, and center link. The van tilt column is a very nice upgrade if the ignition key is still on the dash - if the key is on the column it's a PITA. If you go with the van parts you will need an intermediate steering shaft - see FAQ on tilts.

The van rear end would be usable with a pair a axle saddles from ECE.

This would give you 5 lug front and rear.

You mentioned a 3/4T Suburban but that would be 8 lug.

I'm sure this complicates or muddies the water even more. First decide on either 5 or 6 lug, then make your plan. Sounds like you have a lot of parts to choose from to go either way.

Good luck - Bob
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
53burb

Being a 3/4 ton, it will have 8-lug rotors like already mentioned, plus most everything else will be larger (brakes, bushings, springs) than a 1/2 ton. But I think it will still bolt up, just heavier duty components, which will lead to a harsher and more rigid ride...I think...
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moore

The van rear end would be usable with a pair a axle saddles from ECE.

This would give you 5 lug front and rear.
Good luck - Bob
One other detail. If he swaps the rear from the van into place, not only will he have to use the ECE saddles that you recomend, but he will need to figure out a mount for the panhard bar to the van's rearend. Best bet would be to use an ECE susper track bar I guess, which mounts to the lower shock mount on the passenger side, rather than the rearend itself.