The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 AM   #1
Zoerb

Smile 70 C10 Steering/drivetrain questions

I want to install a 85 Blazer steering column in to my 70 C10. right now its a floor shift, but I plan on reworking the entire truck. I guess my question is, has anyone ever done this? I have my blazer still and I plan on taking the fuel tank, brake booster/ master cylinder, brake pedal, and making the work in the 70, just to have the nice upgrades. also, the rear end of this truck is a 6 lug, and I want to swap in a 77 c10 rear end. both of the rear ends are leaf springs. Does anyone know if there will be a clearance issue? I plan, in the future, to c-notch the frame, but I am mainly concerned with the width.
And help would be appriciated.
Zoerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: 70 C10 Steering/drivetrain questions

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi.
Check out our FAQ Submissions page, lots of good info there. Here's a link to the Index thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669

The column is gonna take some modifying to install, but it's been done before. A lot of people opt for van tilt columns because they're cheaper and look stock (vans up to early 80's with ignition switch on dash).
For your brakes the booster can be used with some modifications, but another option is to find a 1 ton truck booster 67-72. Here's a link to a recent thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=183465
Never heard of swapping brake pedals?
If your parts blazer is 2wd you can swap the entire front crossmember to upgrade to disc brakes.
If you're lucky enough to have a late 70 rear end you can just swap the axles with the 77 (measure to see if the rearends are the same width, if not then the spring perches will have to be swapped to use the 77 rear under your 70).

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 12-30-2005 at 05:27 AM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
Zoerb

Re: 70 C10 Steering/drivetrain questions

Krue
Thank you for the information. The 85 blazer and 77 c10 I got for free, so I'm going to use what I can from them, but I think I will get the brake master cylinder and booster from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Thanks for your help.
Zoerb is offline   Reply With Quote