The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
wedgemon

Cool Driver side floor wet - where's the thread?

I recall, but, can't find, a recent thread on driverside leaks that soak the floor. My truck (80 k10) drips on my leaft, and sometimes my right foot in the rain. And, the floor is soaked after any rain when she just sits. No obvious running on the bulkheads.

Anyone know where to find the thread or to find this leak? And what to do about it?

Thanks!

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
canadian trucker
A day should have 30 hours.

Re: Driver side floor wet - where's the thread?

have you checked the firewall and the two cooling ducts under the dash
thats where mine is leaking
canadian trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Also check under the cowl.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
wedgemon

Found a thread on the Chevy Talk forum. Any one needs it. Let me know.

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
Old 01-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
ScottH

If you could post that thread it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
wedgemon

Cool Re: Driver side floor wet - where's the thread?

Here's the link and ALL the text.
Drivers side Leak

FROM: http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/sho...gonew=1#UNREAD

Have an 84 C-10 and after a nice rain, water magically appears on the cab floor on the very left hand side (right by your left foot). More specifically, the water is in the area where the cab floor meets the kick panel. Any help on the source of the leak is appreciated. Thanks

Either the windshield or at the seam itself, I'm not sure if water is supposed to be running along the outside of the cab on that particular position, but I have the same exact leak on my truck that I just now found. Get it wet and look under with a flashlight you will see it running.

If you don't see it from under the dash, pull the panel between the windshield and rear of hood & look closely for some rust holes. Unfortunately, it isn't uncommon to have some corrosion there, especially in the "crease" area where the dash and firewall join.

Check for the leak on firewall there is a rubble grommet where some wires go through.

Do you have this leak on the driver's side only? No water is coming through on my passenger side. I did notice in the daytime some water stains from the bottom of "fresh air vent" on the driver's side (inside the cab). Will continue to investigate...Thanks

YES ITS ON DRIVERS SIDE ONLY PULL UP MAT SHOULD BE DAMP MY OTHER SIDE IS DRY.

On my old 83 I found the firewall was cracked where the e-brake pedal bolts go through the firewall, there was also some rust in that area.

OK in the daylight now everything in the firewall area seems sounds, sealed up and no rust.

Interestingly enough, inside the truck on the floor the rust starts right below the vent door.... So, with the hood closed and the hose running on the windshield, the water runs down the windshield under the cowl panel in the water drain area (where the wipers are). Stop the hose and open the fresh air vent and everything behind it is wet. Perhaps the gasket is gone on the air vent door, but I am going to remove the kick panel to check out the setup and how the water is running.

Seen that leakage on my C10 and heard of others with
same wet floor problem, so please post your solution
when you are done.

I too have the same problem on my 81. My windshield seal is pretty much toast, so I just assumed that was the problem. Time for a little deeper investigating.

OK...today I went all out with the hose (drivers side windshield and cowl area). The water enters the top of the fresh air drain (where the wiper transmission is and flows down through a passage that you cannot really see inside (but this is where the fresh air vent inside the cab gets the air) and I could actually see the water getting through the fresh air vent door from around certain areas of the outer rubber seal. The door also does not to seem to seal very well either but that could be the result of age, etc.

Since the fresh air vent door and lever are integrated into the kick panel, I tried taking out the kick panel but you need to remove the e brake mechanism from the firewall. I found this out after removing all the 7mm screws and trying to get the kick panel out but it actually goes into the metal air passage almost 1 inch. Anyhow I figured even if I get it out, the water would still get through the fresh air vent seal and I have not found anyone who sells these things...

I checked the firewall, e-brake bolts, looked for rust, cracks, etc. All of these connections still have the Armour undercoat from 1984 on them in very good shape. Water was definitely coming in around the rubber seal on the fresh air vent, coming to the bottom, and then dripping onto the plastic kick panel, then eventually the metal portion, finally making its way to the floor.

My Solution...Don't know yet and giving it some thought...but I wanted to post this out there for everyone to see. If you have ideas or can duplicate please let know.

How about just stuffing the thing with a rag...After all it is plastic and that does not rust.

IN my 82 water is coming down through the windshield gasket and somehow seeping through where the dash firewall and windshield meet, I haven’t pulled the dash pad to get a closer look yet. The runs right down the firewall, cuts the corner at the right side wall of the cab then under the vent and right down the bottom to the floor.

The drivers side has got me kind of confused now, From when I did the floors in my truck there is a seam on the front of the floor where the left side kick panel and old floor and new floor meet there is a hole where I couldn’t fill in with the welder and have been meaning to fill it in with something else. Now being that it is overlapped, facing 45 degrees down and the water having to move UP to get into the truck has really got me guessing. I’m thinking it’s coming along where the fender gasket should be, as I don’t think I have any. So I will try to reseal the windshield they sell this stuff in LMC too I believe that you put into where you think is leaking and it flows in like water but sets and seals , the stuff works awesome vie used in on a Taurus before with great luck.) And replace both sides fender gaskets and see where that goes. I have a cab out back and I was studying it the other day and it looks as if any water that came off the roof, will flow forward, especially when not moving, down the A-Pillar, along that seam where the housing for the vent door and the cab door frame meet where if you look very closely there aren’t connected very well, just kind of pinched together then down to the rocker and back to where it will drip off. Now I think that gasket is there to keep the water from entering that chamber that the vent door is in. and if the water continues straight down into my floor area where coming from that angle it wont have to go up as much but still end up snaking though some how. I don’t think I did a bad job especially for a first time but will definitely learn from my mistakes. I think those gaskets will help you out with your problem coming in through the vents.

I just picked up an '86 3+3 and guess what? The floor is wet. Both A pillars have 18" of rust about a 1/4" wide. The seam at the roof and second pillar where it looks to be crimped together looks wet and rusted leading to the weather-strip. I am suspicious the trim peaces above each door are leaking? Anyone come up with any other solutions?

- Dave

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club