The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
bigarmzz

look at my gauges (what a mess)-pics

well, i've had this truck now for several months....and there was always something that irritated me.....there was covers over two of my gauges....so i decided to take them off and see what was going on

wow...what a mess

anyone have any ideas???

the previous owner really "botched" this up, bad

i'm just kinda scratchin my head on this one...its so bad, i dont know what to do...my gauge lights are so dim, they might as well not even work...and i seem to missing a "few" gauges and connectors

i think i need to make a post in the wanted section for a complete gauge cluster...its the only thing i know to do...just try and replace the whold mess
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
tgh117
Crazy

Re: look at my gauges (what a mess)-pics

Yea I would agree, it would be the easiest to just replace the whole mess with another cluster, then you don't have to worry about bad wires, or the circuit board on the back being messed up, and it will get rid of the whole hassle. You should be able to locate a cluster fairly easy, and it will keep the truck looking much nicer. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
f.monroe

What year is the truck ? I have a gauge cluster out of a 1983 I think . If you want it , I will send it to you . I dont know what the condition of the gauges is , but its complete . Frank
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
bigarmzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe
What year is the truck ? I have a gauge cluster out of a 1983 I think . If you want it , I will send it to you . I dont know what the condition of the gauges is , but its complete . Frank

my trucks a 85...i'm not sure to be honest, what years are the same?

anyone know?

(anythings gotta be better than what i got now)

Last edited by bigarmzz; 01-03-2006 at 10:55 PM.
bigarmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Anything from 78 - 86 will fit your truck no problem.

In 80, they switched from the older style blue ringed 100 mph speedos to the newer 85 mph speedos like you have right now, but other than that, the temp, oil pressure, and volt gauges are all the same. Just different fonts / needle styles.

Prior to 78, trucks had a amp meter, and prior to 77 or so, they had mechanical oil pressure gauges.

Oh, and when you get a new gauge cluster, do yourself a favour, and go buy a can of chrome spray paint, totally dissassemble the cluster, and spray the inside of it chrome. It makes a stunning difference on how bright the lights are. I did so on my GMC, and I actually ran my gauge lights at a reduced rate becuase they were too bright after that!

EDIT: Here is a picture of the new gauge cluster I just built for my 80. Its running a 79 speedometer, that has been modified to accept a speed sensor from a newer speedometer, a 76 tachometer, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge, and finally, a pair of 78 volt and temp gauges. Has the brake light under the tach, and a check engine light / 4x4 light under the speedo. I deleted the seatbelt light as I always wear them anyways, and I still have the buzzer for it anyways.
Attached Images

Last edited by Russell; 01-03-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
...Prior to 78, trucks had a amp meter, and prior to 77 or so, they had mechanical oil pressure gauges......
One minor correction here. This should read prior to 77 trucks had an amp meter. In other words 73-76 had AMP gauges, and 77 up had VOLT gauges. Yes, 77 was the last year for mechanical oil pressure gauges.

Of course none of this is relavent to Bigz needs...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
784X4GUY
Did someone say MUD?

I can vouch for that 78's do have the volt gauge not amp. I thought it was 76's and older that had the amp gauge. I cant wait to do that chrome paint on the bezel of my next truck......Mike

Mini trucks are for guys who cant get it up!
784X4GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
smokinn

Looks kinda like my mess. My plastic cover is so bad i cant even read the gauges. Any one have just the plastic cover for a 79?

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
f.monroe

Bigarmzz, this is Totally off the subject but I thought you might like to have a look at this truck I found on ebay . Frank

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
bigarmzz

wow russell....thats a nice lookin setup ya got there....

thats ultimately what i want....someday

thanks for the info

Quote:
Anything from 78 - 86 will fit your truck no problem.

In 80, they switched from the older style blue ringed 100 mph speedos to the newer 85 mph speedos like you have right now, but other than that, the temp, oil pressure, and volt gauges are all the same. Just different fonts / needle styles.

Prior to 78, trucks had a amp meter, and prior to 77 or so, they had mechanical oil pressure gauges.

Oh, and when you get a new gauge cluster, do yourself a favour, and go buy a can of chrome spray paint, totally dissassemble the cluster, and spray the inside of it chrome. It makes a stunning difference on how bright the lights are. I did so on my GMC, and I actually ran my gauge lights at a reduced rate becuase they were too bright after that!

EDIT: Here is a picture of the new gauge cluster I just built for my 80. Its running a 79 speedometer, that has been modified to accept a speed sensor from a newer speedometer, a 76 tachometer, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge, and finally, a pair of 78 volt and temp gauges. Has the brake light under the tach, and a check engine light / 4x4 light under the speedo. I deleted the seatbelt light as I always wear them anyways, and I still have the buzzer for it anyways.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
bigarmzz

Quote:
Bigarmzz, this is Totally off the subject but I thought you might like to have a look at this truck I found on ebay . Frank

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem
nice lookin ride....

looked alot like mine at first
Old 01-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #12
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Just bite the bullet like I did and get some Autometer's

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

haha wow the extremes on the volt gauge are red? mine are faded to orange, as have all the extreme ranges on my guages... never been tint on my truck and it was rarely in the shade, lots of direct sunlight. Gonna try and repaint them in the not too distant future...
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
f.monroe

Bigarmzz, I just checked and I do indeed have the entire cluster and there are no broken mounting tabs . I am going to remove the shift indicator (od indicator)but the rest is there . If you PM me an address I will send it to you . It wont cost you a dime . Reward for your hard work on two trucks , plus its in my way and I would rather send it to you than throw it away . Frank
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 AM   #15
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Bigarmzz, I just checked and I do indeed have the entire cluster and there are no broken mounting tabs . I am going to remove the shift indicator (od indicator)but the rest is there . If you PM me an address I will send it to you . It wont cost you a dime . Reward for your hard work on two trucks , plus its in my way and I would rather send it to you than throw it away . Frank

Score for bigarmzz!!

This is the kind of stuff that I love about this forum!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
bigarmzz

Quote:
holy crap!

thanks monroe!

things like this is why i love this board.....ya got a pm

(and if there's ever anything i have in the future that you need...well, ya know)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
wedgemon

Allright Russell, Where'd the 160 Speedo come from???

OOOhhh, Km.

(pay's to look close)

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club

Last edited by wedgemon; 01-04-2006 at 11:23 AM.
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #18
beaterC10

Quote:
Russel have you had a chance to try the speed sensor adaptation yet? Wondering if there will be a problem with the fact the speedo is 100 mph and the speed sensor speedos only go to 85 mph.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #19
784X4GUY
Did someone say MUD?

Wow....I didn't even see that. Yeah, were did that 160mph speedo come from?.....Later....Mike

Mini trucks are for guys who cant get it up!
784X4GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #20
Army_Dude

Sorry to hijack...but.... Where can I get ahold of some white face guages? Overlays for the ones I have are fine. I'm thinking of using black crinkle paint on some of my interior and the white guages would look killer! BTW, 85 Silverado. Thanks!
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
Russell
Professional Grade

Army_Dude -- Ebay is your best bet We had a forum member at one time who made them herself, but I have not seen her in a very long time.

To everyone who thinks I've got a 160 mph speedo -- I live in Canada, so that is just a 100 mph speedo, lol! I have sent a couple of these down to guys in the states though, cause most people mistake them for mph, and since it has the mph readings on the inside of the ring, you can still use them. Still have your odometer in mph too, just need to grab a 100 mph gauge, and swap face plates with a km/h faceplate

Beater -- I haven't tested the VSS yet, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

The speedometer works by having the cable spin a pair of magnetic "blades" around in a sort of a cup (sorry, hard to explain without pics) as they spin, they make the cup turn to a certain calibrated amount. This cup is attached to the speedo needle, and depending on how fast the magnetic blades are spinning, the speedo tells you how fast you are moving.

Now, to get the VSS to work on the 85 mph speedo, the magnetic blades are made of a shiny material, and as each of the two blades whips by under the infared optical head, some of the infa-red light is sent back to the little reciever on the optical head, causing the little green box to send out a VSS pulse. Since there are two blades, the VSS sends out two pulses per rotation of the speedometer cable.

To make it work, I had to cut a small rectangular hole into the back of the speedo assembly (take the whole thing apart so you make sure you arn't cutting through anything -- I bought three different speedos till I found one that I could use) then paint the blades with chrome paint. They were dark grey / black before. I then drilled a small hole in the back of the gauge, and used one of the 1/4 screws that hold the gauges into their housing to secure the optical head, along with a shot of hot glue. To get the speedometer back into the housing, I had to cut a small square hole in the housing. Since it is an older housing, with the mech oil pressure gauge, it had just a very small hole to put the speedo tail shaft into, and a clip on the back of the cluster to hold the cable. The newer ones have a far larger hole in the back, and the cable fits directly onto the back of the speedometer.

If I had a working ECM set up infront of me -- I could technically test it for you, but that'd be a fair bit of work, so I am thinking we'll just have to wait till I get my truck in a running condition, then I can let you know
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #22
bisquik65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgemon
Allright Russell, Where'd the 160 Speedo come from???

OOOhhh, Km.

(pay's to look close)

You dont need a speedo when you drive by the tach....6 = 60 mph? and up...
bisquik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #23
f.monroe

Bigarmzz ,
I sent you a PM with the tracking link . Have fun .
Frank
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #24
bigarmzz

Quote:
Bigarmzz ,
I sent you a PM with the tracking link . Have fun .
Frank
man, do i ever owe ya one
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #25
Army_Dude

Well, my momma said no stupid questions right? So I gotta ask... either Russell or 784X4guy, what is the benefit/purpose to the chrome paint? I ask cause I'm not sure, can you see any of that piece once the dash is all installed? Thanks.

Disregard last transmission... I reread the post. Got it. I'm a lil slow.

Last edited by Army_Dude; 01-05-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote