The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: AAir bags vs. coils
Air bags 40 68.97%
coil springs0 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
bskylerj
Account Suspended

Do you prefer air bags or coils

I am thinking of putting air ride suspension on my truck but still not sold on them. What are the pros and cons? I put this poll up to see what everyones thoughts are. Here is a couple of bad pictures of the truck. Has any raced there truck with it bagged? I have a big block in this and supercharched. It should run high 10's, but not sure how the air bags will handle this. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

bskylerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

Re: Do you prefer air bags or coils

Bag it. Why not have adjust-ability!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

I have a truck magazine from sometime last year that discusses pros and cons of both hydraulics , coils and airbags.

The gist:

Coils have no adjustability (static drop) are cheap way to lower your vehicle but you can't go as low as bags and safely drive. The lower you go with coils, the stiffer your ride will be, which is not true with 'bags.

Airbags are adjustable so you can lift and lower the vehicle as you please but you will never attain the same ride height that your vehicle was aligned at which means your car will not be aligned properly ever again (but you can get it close if you drive at 'ride height' most of the time). Airbags are easier to install but slower to infate and deflate compared to hydraulics.

Hydraulics are pretty much the same story as airbags except they require welding, fabrication, fluid pumps and lots of batteries and they are more prone to breakage than airbags.

It's ultimately your call on what sounds best to you. I want adjustability without a lot of fabrication, so I'll probably be bagging my truck with some dropped spindles in front. I'm undecided as of yet.

If anyone notes anything I missed or wants to dispute any of those points, I'm all eyes.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-04-2006 at 12:05 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
fastbagged68

If the air ride is installed correctly it will be able to handle what your truck will throw at it. check out www.ridetech.com or www.webrodder.com They have alot of info there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Airbags are adjustable so you can lift and lower the vehicle as you please but you will never attain the same ride height that your vehicle was aligned at which means your car will not be aligned properly ever again (but you can get it close if you drive at 'ride height' most of the time). Airbags are easier to install but slower to infate and deflate compared to hydraulics.

Hydraulics are pretty much the same story as airbags except they require welding, fabrication, fluid pumps and lots of batteries and they are more prone to breakage than airbags.

If anyone notes anything I missed or wants to dispute any of those points, I'm all eyes.
Yes airbags are adjustable, and you can attain the same ride height that your vechicle was aligned at= Accu Air Control Systems. Many factory cars and SUV's come with air ride. They don't have problems aligning.

Alot of Airbag installs include welding. Airbags ride alot better then hydraulics.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have already lowered mine (2.5/4.0), so it's a bit late at this part of the game for me. So, I prefer coils at this time. I haven't ridden on bags, short of the air-operated tag axle on the dump truck. What I'd really like, it to replace my rear coils, with the Air Lift rear spring system, that would let me air it out and get it level, yet still give me some load-carrying capability. That's my preference, but to each, his/her own.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Aquivarious

BAGS! Remember, if you're worried if they can take the abuse... look at the suspension of every big rig you see... ALL BAGS! Adjustable, Smoother ride, and can still hack what you throw at it? Thats what im talking about... But remember, its easy to install but Dont cut corners, you may encounter some complications... (4 Valves for 4 Bags! Not 2)

Currently Serving In IRAQ. (Man it sucks over here..)
Aquivarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
bskylerj
Account Suspended

Thanks. Keep the feedbacl cpming
Old 01-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Bad Dog

Well, good topic to write about. I am in favor of bagging the truck with some minor body drop mods, and a notch for the rear suspension. If you have no intentions of using the truck for hauling then you should enjoy the adjustablity of an air ride truck. Just keep it clean and functional.
Bad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
72MARIO

Air bags also help the hauling ability. If you drop a 1000lb in just pump it up and you have a level stance again.

If Bags were in my budget at the time my truck would have them in really quick. The only time there are problems is if they are a hack install and the lines are not tucked up and fastened properly.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
jay-dawg
chevelito

Good topic.

I myself am pro-'bag, but I'd like to throw this out there.

I'm not sure what the law is where you are but here in Honolulu, we have a "safety check" system where they check your care if it has working lights, brakes, etc. They also check for ride adjustability which is a no-no here. We have to get one every year so that would mean I would need a "friend" or change out the bags once a year. (ok...flame suit on for being a wuss and obeying the laws)

I would personally be heavily involved in the installation of 'bags on my truck. I have seen expensive bag setups done by shops here without the owner being around. Sometimes little problems like air leaks etc happen and the owner has to bring it back to the shop for a fix. Look where all the lines go, have a good understanding of how the wiring was done etc etc. That way, you can fix it yourself and not be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I think that's it.

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

My '71 is a toy, when completed it will probably only get driven 2-3,000 miles a year. For that kind of vehicle I want maximum fun and air bags are part of that equation imo. Bag it!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #12
project76

After riding in a bagged truck then hopping back in mine, i was sold on air ride. I just didnt know the extent of the work and thought involved with doing it the right way the first time. I am installing a step notch, kp- components 4 link and a drop cross member with strong arms up front. Over 3k in parts and tons of hours wrap up into it.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #13
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by project76
After riding in a bagged truck then hopping back in mine, i was sold on air ride.
Was this based on ride quality, handling, adjustability, fun factor, etc.?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Watch me cause a fight....

coil springs are more reliable than airbags. Period.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Watch me cause a fight....

coil springs are more reliable than airbags. Period.
I'll agree with you on that statement, but let's face it. If we wanted reliability, this board wouldn't exist. We'd all be driving Civics. I'm saving my pennies for a paintjob. After that's done, it's getting backhalfed and bagged.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #16
lazygaurd

If you are running bags in the front, how do you keep the front end aligned when it is constantly changing?
lazygaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Only reason I thouched on the reliability is that I saw a guy get into a bind over airbags.

He had a great installation, the problem was, he hit a porcupine and one of the quills stuck in his bag and caused a leak. He was hundreds of miles from home when it happened.

I know it's a long shot though. Who hits a porcupine? I'm more worried about getting struck by lightning.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #18
project76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco
Was this based on ride quality, handling, adjustability, fun factor, etc.?
fun factor, adjustability and ride quality, havent hung it out on any turns yet . I agree the springs are more reliable, but they are boring to me. Not an insult to anyone running them, im just wanting more.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #19
project76

Quote:
Only reason I thouched on the reliability is that I saw a guy get into a bind over airbags.

He had a great installation, the problem was, he hit a porcupine and one of the quills stuck in his bag and caused a leak. He was hundreds of miles from home when it happened.

I know it's a long shot though. Who hits a porcupine? I'm more worried about getting struck by lightning.

Good point, i was browsing one of the many truck magazines at the grocery store this past week. They had a full blown assult on air bags. The lingo, the how to's and the what if's.
Also they recomended taking an emergency kit full of misc air ride stuff with you. Now i doubt a road side air bag swap is gonna be easy, but what about duct tape? j/k a blown bag would be no fun.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:

True.... but bags are cheap enough that if that was a concern you could deflate & carry an extra in a 3x8" space . Try doing that w/a coil or leaf spring .

I use both on my beater but only because that got the job done. My 74 is currently static dropped because even w/bags it wouldn't be any lower (my truck sits lower than N2TRUX'x 77 @ ride height & his is 4whl air-ride). I do plan to switch to 4whl air-ride on the 74 though because it is adjustable & I plan to use my 74 as a tow vehicle like my 68.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-04-2006 at 11:47 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:52 AM   #21
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygaurd
If you are running bags in the front, how do you keep the front end aligned when it is constantly changing?
The way I understand it is, you find the sweet spot for ride quality/height. Get it aligned there, and set it back to that psi when driving. Should be very close...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 01-05-2006 at 01:53 AM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 AM   #22
bskylerj
Account Suspended

Thanks for the input. It looks like bags is the way to go.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:48 AM   #23
bskylerj
Account Suspended

I just ordered my kit from Air Ride. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:37 AM   #24
BigMike

My Brother bought the Air Ride Technologies Ride Pro E setup. He can set his "drive height" by programming it into the "Ride Pro E" control box. So if he has it set a certain way for a show, or has all the air out of it at the store, all he has to do is turn the ignition "on" and it will go back to that pre programmed "drive height". It is pretty cool. This way he can have the alignment done to his "ride height" and should have minimal problems.

I would like to eventually go to the same system, but for now I am just concerned with getting the body work finished up so I can paint it.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
bskylerj
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=big.mike]My Brother bought the Air Ride Technologies Ride Pro E setup. He can set his "drive height" by programming it into the "Ride Pro E" control box. So if he has it set a certain way for a show, or has all the air out of it at the store, all he has to do is turn the ignition "on" and it will go back to that pre programmed "drive height". It is pretty cool.

I ordered this with mine as well. I can't wait to get it all installed.