The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Gazoo

Just a little more lowering info....

Well I think I have it almost figured out - but before I invest in a bunch of parts, I have a couple of quick questions and given the experience shown on this board I know the answers are out there. What I have is a stock '71 SWB that I want to drop only slightly that has had new coils on the front and originals in the rear. I am putting 2 1/2" drop spindles up front and want to end up with the slight original rake built into the overall end appearance. My concern is that the new coils up front appear to be an aftermarket heavy duty spring that rides maybe even a little higher than stock and the rears being obviously 35 years old may have some sag built into them. Right now I am dead level. I was originally considering a 3" drop spring, but given that I am currently level unloaded, thats looking like a bad idea. Therefore, I am leaning towards installing the spindles up front and then building blocks as required up to the 2or 2 1/2" or wherever to get it sitting where it should.

blah blah blah...apologies for the ramblings - and now my remaining questions,

What is the downside if any of blocks over drop springs?
What's the max safe height to go w blocks?
At what level of rear drop does the tracking bar require adjusting - If I keep it within 2 or 2 1/2" am I ok?

Thx!!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Just a little more lowering info....

I don't think the 3" drop spring will give you 3" of drop since you say the old springs are sagging quite a bit. You may only get half that when all is said and done.
If oyu decide to go with blocks I think that you will be fine with 2" or 2.5" blocks. When talking 2" I don't think they are any worse than drop springs.
The track bar question is tricky though. Since you say your springs are sagging a bit you could have more than the 2" to 2.5" you are thinking. If they are saggin 2" and you use blocks you could be 4" or more off stock. I would put the blocks on and take a look at everything and then decide if you should get an adjustable track bar. Either way the adjustable track bar can't hurt.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Gazoo

Re: Just a little more lowering info....

thx 71 - excellent point on the total potential drop vs stock - given that the bushings are shot on my existing track bar perhaps I will invest in an adjustable one anyways....