The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
1-PU70

Need Opinions For New Trailer

Shopping for a new trailer and could use some input.I will use it mostly to tow a 3500lb car loaded with cloth and stuff.Car is 15 1/2' but would like to use it for other stuff too.
1-Should I have brakes on one axel or two
2-Steel or wood floor
3-open center or floor all the way across
4-tong for 2" or 2 5/8" ball
5-16 or 18 feet long
6-What should the gross weight be, they start at 5000lbs
Thanks for any input or your opinion Thanks Gary
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
MrC1
Dork For Days

Lightbulb Re: Need Opinions For New Trailer

I went through this a few years back and I ended up getting most of the options available - and glad I did. Relatively speaking a trailer (car hauler) is pretty inexpensive, so if you regret any of the options based on price, your hard feelings shouldn't last long.

I'd go with brakes on all the wheels. It's been a great asset for me and I live in a pretty flat area. Personally I'd go with steel floor since it won't rot. If you're in an area that uses salt on the roads I'd get it undercoated well, too. That wasn't a problem for me, but I didn't look to see where you're at.

I thought about leaving the center of the floor open as well. I figured it would be easier to work on a car while it's on there. I went with a solid floor, however. It just makes the trailer more versitile to carry other stuff. You may also want to make sure there's stake pockets so you can install sides if you want.

2" ball is pretty standard. Not a big deal either way, but I guess the biggun would be stronger. Always a good thing.

18' length is standard for a car hauler and you'll want that length for anything larger than a sportscar. When positioning a pickup for example, you'll put the truck a little back from the front to get the weight balance correct and a shorter trailer will only increase the overhang off the back. You'll already have some overhang with the 18-footer.

If I remember right, typical capacity is 6000 or 7000 lbs. Remember, this figure includes the weight of the trailer, so you need to subtract about 2000 from that number to get the usable weight limit. I'd go as HD as possible w/o going nuts.

You didn't mention tires, spare tire mount or ramps. These are really important, too! Pay the extra $100 for the HD trailer tires. They're rated for much higher loads. Also, get at least one spare tire mount. I think it's a cheap option, except you gotta buy another wheel/tire.

Lastly, ramps! I talked to my salesman about this and finally found that they could make wider than standard ramps up to 18" wide. I went with the widest they would make and MAN they're nice when loading a car! Also, see if any special tread is available (like punched holes) for better traction. You'll do better when the ramps are wet. It should also lighten them a little. I got the ramps that tuck in underneath behind little doors in the back. Nice setup.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!

Last edited by MrC1; 01-09-2006 at 09:07 PM.
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Re: Need Opinions For New Trailer

Also you have to make sure that you talk to your local DOT, I live in PA and all trailers (car haulers that is) must now have all wheel brakes and a breakaway system with a brake controller in your truck before the trailer gets inspected, I've been looking to buy one but a new one is a bit much for what I am going to use it for, so I' been hunting for a good used one.

Good luck in your buy.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
Skruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1
I'd go with brakes on all the wheels. It's been a great asset for me and I live in a pretty flat area. Personally I'd go with steel floor since it won't rot. If you're in an area that uses salt on the roads I'd get it undercoated well, too. That wasn't a problem for me, but I didn't look to see where you're at.

Everybody has their own preferences, but I prefer a wood floor because of the variety of things I might haul. It's a lot easier IMO to nail a 2 x 4 in a wood floor to brace something.

BTW, that is a nice looking trailer.
Skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
409biscayne

You might check out Texas Bragg , i've had mine for a couple of years , really like it . Model is a Classic Car Carrier 18ft steel deck , beaver tail , ramps pullout from rear , 2 axle brakes, break-away , 2 5/16 hitch . One thing i would change ( or should change ) make sure you get LED lights . Everytime i use mine someone stops me to ask what kinda trailer it is , i could sell it in a 'heartbeat ' . May be hard to find a dealer close . Good luck .
65 Nova Wagon Drag Car 383 t400 (Dragin-Wagon)
68 c10 cst 396 t400 a/c buckets lwb 4.11 posi (SOLD)
409biscayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #6
wibilly

also check fender height some fenders are to tall you cant get the doors open without someone lifting on car my buddy hauled his race car on mine he said of all the trailers he used it is the only one his doors would clear on my corvette doors even cleay the fenders
Old 01-10-2006, 03:02 AM   #7
carl609

i would look for one with a removable or hinged fender, it makes loading and getting in and out a lot easier.
carl609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:45 AM   #8
jimfulco

If you opt for a wood floor, be sure they use the green CCA or ACQ pressure-treated wood so it won't rot.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
dwaite72lnghrn

I went with the BIG TEX 70CH 16'. It has dual axle brakes, wood floor, breakaway switch, 7000gvw and ramps. It is wide enough to handle my K20 with 33-12.50x16.5 tires. The size of the hitch ball is dependent on the weight of the trailer, Most in the 6000lb and up will be 2 5/8" for safety. I pefer wood as I block and nail the load down so it won't move.
Changes I would make after 3 years would be 18' maybe beavertail (rough country they would hange on everything) spare tire when new, longer ramps, "D" rings front and back(welded my on on after a year) and a winch or comealong.
If you went with a flat deck over the tires you start to get pretty high and definitly need a winch for dragging things on. If you haul just cars then one designed just for them would be best. Mine is a alround utility trailer.
Attached Images

71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #10
torquepower

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=178869

This trailer is 10000 pound GVW electric brakes both axles 16' long 102" wide 83" between the fenders cost $3700

Some jurisdictions require brakes both axles especially with higher GVW and some will only let you go 96" wide. Wider between the fenders really helps.
68 C10 Shortbox Stepside 250
94 Chevrolet K1500 Cheyenne 350
88 GMC K1500
torquepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Davy

Don't forget the jack. This seems to go un-noticed when buying a trailer. Make sure the jack looks like it will actually hold the tongue up (especially if loaded). My buddy bought a very Heavy Duty 18' trailer and the crappy jack snapped like a pencil within a couple uses.

Looking for NOS items for my CST restoration.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
1Ton

Here is my trailer with a 78 Chevy on it with 35x12.5 tires. This trailer is made by Terrys trailers in Oklahoma. Very well built 18ft 7000lb capacity with a beaver tail. In this pic I am probably overloaded. Trailer towed nicely though. Even on the interstate. I recommend the solid deck, more versatile. As for the brakes check your state laws. Some states require brakes on both axles. I prefer them on both. Safety to me. Also the beaver tail makes it easier to load, not as steep. This trailer was $2050 to here. I think on thier website they are like $1800?? Good luck!
more is better
too much ought to be enough........
1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
1Ton

I see you are from Indiana. The trailer capitol of the USA! Go to Elkhart and you should be able to find a deal on one.
more is better
too much ought to be enough........
1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
TP from Cntl PA

I was wondering, do any of you guys have one of those new car hauler Goosenecks? They look pretty neat...........But of-course with farm tractors and stuff I am restricted to a deck over But they look like they'd be just the thing to haul vehicles on.

After pulling a bumper pull for years(Hudson), and then using goosenecks and 5th wheels, I'd never go back to a bumper pull unless it was cheap. They beat the crap out of the driver, not to mention the truck, are less manueverable, and aren't as fussy when it comes to loading and positioning the weight.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #15
1-PU70

Thanks so much for all the info. I fell I can go look at some trailers and know what to ask for. I dont have time to order one so I have to get one in stock, but that shouldnt be much of a problem. Thanks again Gary
PS: And I will be pulling the trailer with this
Attached Images

1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters

Last edited by 1-PU70; 01-10-2006 at 05:50 PM.
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #16
STP67-72

I have had about 6-7 car haulers. !6 ft will barely hold a swb truck. 18 ft is the way to go. Solid deck for multiple use.(golfcart, fourwheelers,riding mowers,cabs,beds, wood,etc. I use mine for everything. I have a wood floor 18 ft no dove tail for my multipurpose trailer. I can haul up to 3 swbs on it. I also have a steel deck dove tail trailer that is really mostly for trucks and cars. Especially if it is lowered car or truck. I have had 3 of them. Mine is from Diamond C Trailers. Mount Pleasant tx. The ramps are the best i have seen on my steel deck which is called a Road Clipper Series. One axle brake for sure, but 2 makes a difference. I have had both. I also have a 7000 lb jack, so you can leave your vehicle on it easier. The foot lets down when you pull the adjustable pin. No more wood blocks. You can special order your trailer. I have several extras. The trailers are now about 3400.00 for the 18 ft clipper that i ordered. That is about 200-300 for extras. My first one was 1900.00 about 5-6 years ago. They are so popular down here i usually sell mine when they need painting and start over. Both of mine pull great.Loaded or unloaded. Do not get trailer that has ramps on side unless you do not mind carrying them. Trust me i have had them all. I can get pics. if you need them. @ inch is what i have. I might get 2 5/16 next so all of my buddies can not borrow it. Since all of the damages seems to come from them and my family members. Hope this helps.

WWW Diamond C Trailers .com
Check the ramps out on Road Clipper.
68 Chevy swb fleet (Lola)
68 Chevy swb fleet
71 Chevy swb fleet ( future PB project)

97 crew cab power stroke
07 SS Trail blazer
STP67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:25 AM   #17
jimfulco

I'll vouch for Diamond-C. Somebody stole my old 18' Diamond-C utililty trailer, so I had them build another one (model 10ST) pretty much just like it, since every other trailer I looked at around here looked just plain spindly in comparison. The ramps are actually wide enough to lay a 2x12 in between the rails if I need to extend them. Lucky for me they're only 125 miles from home.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote