The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

In-dash tach install

Well, I started my project of installing an in-dash tach tonight. I had purchased a 3-3/8" Autometer Sport-Comp 3991 tach on ebay. The wife went out w/ the girls tonight so I started in on it.
1. First, I had to remove the entire gauge cluster. Since I have a '67, I had to remove the choke cable. I disconnected it at the carb and then undid the nut on the back of the bezel
2. I then had to disconnect the light switch & wiper switch assemblies. The wiper assembly was a little confusing until I found the little lock screw up under the knob to remove that.
3. Once the above was done, I disconnected the main wiring prong from the printed circuit. This just pulls out after you squeeze the 2 prongs together. Then disconnected the speedometer & oil pressure lines. That's it for everything behind the cluster. All that's left is to unscrew the bezel screws and the clip that wraps under the column and it just comes right out.
OK, that was the easy part! Time to start disassembling the cluster. There's a bunch of 1/4" hex head screws that hold the bezel onto the cluster. I removed them and separated the bezel from the cluster. There's basically 4 main pieces to the gauge cluster, the bezel, the glass (plastic), rear main piece (the printed circuit is on the back of this) and the front inner frame (black on one side & green on the inside) <----this is what guys are painting white to reflect the light better. I'll be doing this as well.
Here's pictures of everything separated (keep in mind I've already cut stuff so yours won't look like this at first:

OK, now the fun part begins. LET THE CUTTING BEGIN!! My tool of choice was a dremel with a cut-off wheel.
First I cut the inner metal bezal that sits right behind the plastic bezel. I used the cut-off wheel on the dremel and then rounded it out with a drum sanding disc.

After this is done, I realized that the prong for the lights on the back of the tach was going to stick out too far for the rear of the cluster so I had to notch that out as well for clearance:

I thought I'd be able to just get away with that, and not have to cut the printed circuit, but it wouldn't stretch much and I didn't want to damage it so I had to notch that as well. I used an exacto knife for this, being careful to stay away from the circuitry.

After this, I still need to cut the clear plastic panel in the tach area. I put it behind the bezel and scribed a line around with a Sharpie. Not sure exactly what I'm going to use to cut the plastic without damaging it. I have to think about that a little. It's pretty brittle at almost 40 years old.
I then fit everything together as sort of a mock-up to make sure it would all fit back together. Here's where I'm at now:

Last edited by 67Fleet; 01-10-2006 at 08:10 PM.
67Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

Re: In-dash tach install

awesome! sounds like a sweet deal, now hurry up and give up some pictures!

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
matthufham

but we know all that, grrr, now i have to come back and see how you finsihed it. good luck
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
wibilly

i pulled my dash today too lets see the pics
Old 01-10-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
72 longhorn BB

Hey, you are on your way to having a nice FAQ submission. Very nicely done, so far.

1972 C-20 Longhorn
402 BB .030" over (409?), curved HEI,
RV cam, quadrajet, dual 3" exhaust, TH 400 ported w/shift kit

1999 K1500 Suburban (old style)
5.7L Vortec
4L60E

"No matter where you go, ........ there you are"
72 longhorn BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
MrC1
Dork For Days

2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Told you guys I'd have pics up tonight! It's amazing at how dirty the backround letters & markings get on the gauges. Look at how nasty the volt meter & oil pressure gauges look. I need to clean those up with some mild soap and water. It's probably not a good idea to use any solvents or chemicals on something this old as it might just remove all the lettering. Before everything goes back together for the last time I need to clean up every piece thoroughly, and then paint the inside of the inner cluster pieces a nice bright white so the light reflects brighter. This has actually been a bit easier than I thought it would be going into the project. I could probably get it done tonight if I wanted to, but I think I'm going to save the rest for this weekend when I can give it 100% of my efforts. I'll update as I finish. Hope this helps some of you guys.

Last edited by 67Fleet; 01-10-2006 at 08:17 PM.
67Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
matthufham

i thought i was in that picture with your hand (the hair and shiny watch, quite similar to me) good work!

Last edited by matthufham; 01-10-2006 at 08:27 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Striker169
Car O'Holic

that looks NICE!
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
i thought i was in that picture with your hand (the hair and shiny watch, quite similar to me) good work!
Yeah, I'm a hairy mofo. Now I just need to have it transplanted back on top of my head....
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
byrd
Union Electrician

looks great so far!!! keep up the good work, watch out on using water on the speedo and fuel gauges as you can easily wipe off the markings. I haven't ever had that problem with the temp,batt,oil gauges.The dremel and cut off wheeel will do the lens as well, done it before installing the tach the same way, with the exception I didn't have to cut anything and it was a autometer pro comp series. I just cut the inner tin and then the lens(watch out for flying hot plastic, and don't forget your ppe, gloves glasses) I ran the wiring out by drilling a 7/8" hole in the backing plate between where the oil pressure gauge plate and the printed circuit.
Popped a 1/2" plastic bushing for protecting the wires and it turned out really nice. I didn't need to cut the backing plate as I used the dreel tool to trim down the chrome ring in the hole you are mouting the gauge too on the inside of the bezel cut if off flush from behind the bezel, so that it was easier to install and move the rear mounting parts inside the dash to avoid the cutting of the backing plate and printed circuit issue Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors

Last edited by byrd; 01-10-2006 at 10:16 PM.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Well, got some more work done on my gauge cluster yesterday and this evening. It's all ready to go back into the dashboard now. I painted the inside of the inner bezel gloss white, replaced all the bulbs with new ones, cleaned everything, cut the glass with a plastic dremel cutting bit, and mounted the tach. Here's some pics. (the pic with the tach mounted was only in the mock-up stage and wasn't tightened down so it's not centered up yet).

Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Nice job. Now paint the needles on your cluster to match the tach and it will look even better.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I would think about outlining the gauges with aluminum paint that matches the tach. Or paint the silver of the tach black. Make it so the tach doesn't stand out.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #16
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T
I would think about outlining the gauges with aluminum paint that matches the tach. Or paint the silver of the tach black. Make it so the tach doesn't stand out.
I scored a sweet all chrome gauge cluster yesterday from a guy I bought front and rear window cab trim from. I asked him if I could buy a couple of bulb holders for it for $5- and he said "give me $10 and you can take the whole thing!". SCOOOOOOOOOORE!!!! It's in really good shape except the printed circuit is fried, and the PO had stuck on a wood-grain overlay on it so I have to clean off some of the residue. It is pretty easy to get off. So now I have to take everything apart again and put it back together using the chrome one. It'll be worth it in the end though.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #17
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Well, here it is in all it's glory! I decided to use the new cluster's chrome bezel that I got. When I took it apart, what did I find? A vaccuum gauge! So it's all installed in the truck now. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with my wiper switch assembly. It won't reach to the other side and so I'm thinking about drilling a hole below the headlight switch with a hole saw. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to post away.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Now you need a chrome glove box door to ballance it all out.
Looks good.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #19
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Now you need a chrome glove box door to ballance it all out.
Looks good.
LOL! I've got a painted one on its way.