The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
gregfull

Suburban drop

Got a couple of questions...I ordered a 4/6 drop from ECE about a month ago, when I ordered it for my suburban they told me they were going to actually sell me a 3/5 drop kit because it was a suburban and because I'm running a big block. So, I installed the kit, and the rear sits about 1/2" lower than the front and the truck is empty. I called ECE back, asked to exchange the front springs to drop the front another 1". Well they shipped me 1" taller rear springs. I called back and they tell me that if I put shorter front springs in, I may run out of travel and hit the bump stops creating a bad ride. What do you guys think, I don't want the rear to ride any higher, just the front lower. Should I push the issue, and request shorter front springs or live with the taller rears and hope everything settles out when I get everything hung back in this truck?
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban

Last edited by gregfull; 01-10-2006 at 01:57 PM.
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Suburban drop

Do you have all the front sheetmetal on? Mine rides pretty close to the bumpstops and feels fine. That's with 2.5" spindles and cut SB springs running a BB.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
gregfull

Yea Frizzle, everythings on it except glass and interior.
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I did a cut coil on my longhorn & got a 2 1/2-3" drop. The bumpstops needed to be trimmed off(leaving a portion of the steer stop), & traction bar snubbers are used for the new bump stop. The truck rides/handles good, but did bottom the steer stop on the corner of the crossmember , till the sway bar was added. Just a thought......if you still have the old springs, you can toss em upside down in a 5 gal pail of water, torch 1 full ring of the bottom . this should show you a 3" drop(figure the old springs have settled some). See how that looks for stance? you can run em 3" on the front coil drop, but more than that is too much(time for spindles), as the front wont align very well with a 4" spring drop. Best of luck, L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

If it were me, I'd call them back and ask to speak to a manager. Then I'd ask him why the "F" they are shipping you things that you aren't asking for. It's your truck, not theirs. That's total B.S. that they are taking it upon themselves to ship you what they think is right for your truck. They should be paying the freight both ways also. Give 'em heck!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Ok, 2 fat girls riding with you(& feed em lots of pizza).....that should put the nose of that old truck down Crap , I know I will "catch it" for that one Before you gals get started......I LOVE big women(tell my wifey that every day )..... L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
Bowtie67

Front springs especially are a lot more prone to settle after a little riding because of the weight, in most cases the rear sits a little higher becasue when you carry things it is usually in the back and the added lift in the rear wont droop as much, If the fronts look fairly OK to you I would leave it and run it for a while and the front should drop, send the new springs they sent you back and put the originals back on it, you can space these up a little to make the difference of where you want it to sit. I had the same issue on my 67 when I had ordered shorted springs the back sat quite abit lower and i just added a 1/2" thick spacer under the rear springs which leveled things out in the interim while eaiting for the front to settle in.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet
If it were me, I'd call them back and ask to speak to a manager. Then I'd ask him why the "F" they are shipping you things that you aren't asking for. It's your truck, not theirs. That's total B.S. that they are taking it upon themselves to ship you what they think is right for your truck. They should be paying the freight both ways also. Give 'em heck!

Why are they shipping things you did not order? We need to find another board member that has done a similar drop on a Burb to see if they can help with this.

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

gregfull,... Here's my old '69 burb. I lowered it a long time ago. (I think about 1994 or 95) This was my 4/6 drop. I used all '73-up stuff on the front. Belltech 3" drop spindles and cut stock coils. The rear had 6" drop springs ONLY. This was before I knew about ECE. Maybe ECE wasn't even around then. I didn't have an adjustable panhard bar or shock re-locators. I highly recommend ECE,... because I like their stuff. Call them back. Tell them you want at least a 2" drop front springs, 2.5" spindles and a set of 6" drop rear springs. Also get the Super Track Bar and the shock re-locators if you haven't already. You may need to notch the rear for axle travel. I drove this Burb for two years like I lowered it. With all the stuff ECE sells it will be even better. Also up front,... get rid of the bumpstop bracket (leave the steering stop),... and clearance the lower control arm in case you have to run a 15" rim at some point in time. Good luck with your Sweet Burb! Get what you want and go with the 4/6 drop!
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
gregfull

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll send back the rears they sent me and get them to replace the fronts, like I wanted in the first place. They're real easy to deal with, I think they were just looking out for my best interest. I think they should pick up the shipping though....Thanks again.
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
powell72

They are very understanding, if you explain this to them I'm sure they would have no problem picking up shipping. They probably meant no harm, just trying to help.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

LoLife,

Did the shock relocate kit help?

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote