The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

My Truck Rear Ended - Pics

Well tuesday around 3:30pm in the afternoon driving down a four lane asphalt road some one up ahead slams on their brakes to turn left on to a residential street with no turn lane and everyone behind this person slams on their brakes hard to not hit the vehicle in front of them. Un-luckily for me, the lady behind me in a 2001 Dodge Durango doesn't hit the brakes in time to slow down and rear ends me going 30+mph.

Damage includes completely destroying the bed, tailgate, roll pan, bedsides, smashed the back of the cab in 2+ inches, shocking both door and scraping paint off around door jabs, cracked my rear mounted A1000 Aeromotive fuel pump and cracked the optima battery. The motor even was moved back about 3/4 of an inch and the transmission crossmember is bowed now. Neither doors close as nicely. All the gaps on the hood and fenders are out of wack. Hell even the front bumper was shocked by the collision enough to come back and scratch the paint at the grill area. I did not hit the lady in front of me thankfully although after being pushed 4+ feet I only had about 2 feet from hitting her.

I feel like someone beat me up and just plain sick to my stomach...
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
sdkid

Re: My Truck Rear Ended - Pics

I feel your pain dude. That really, really sucks. Hope things turn out with insurance.

Help somebody...If you can....VanZant

We're not wrong, we're not sorry, and its probably gonna happen again. That's the truth about men.
Tracy Byrd

Member# 13924
'70 c10, 350/350
'68 c10 250/4spd
'68 c10 no eng/trans fac ps/pb/ac/at
(future father/sons project)
'48 Chevy Loadmaster
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Please tell me you had your truck appraised and fully insured.

I would sue the **** out of that lady. Get a lawyer and have her cell phone records pulled, see if she was talking on the phone or doing anything else that could have prevented the wreck, then sue the hell out of her.

Be sure to get her insurance to cover medical (actual and preventative) - go see a chiropractor, if it did that much shock to your truck, guess what your spine and other stuff is looking like right now? Last thing you want is future pains and aches like I got from my wrecks.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, but at the same time, If you end up partin' anything out, lemme know

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 01-12-2006 at 02:30 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

PS - could any of this have been better if you'd have had a bumper on the truck?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
70rs/ss

I know this sucks, but you are alright, and the truck can be replaced (I am not being insensetive to your time invested, but you know what I mean). My brother died in a car accident June 3, 2005. I was in one within three days of his. A guy in Houston traffic on I-10 doesn't follow the road and bounces of the guy next to him and clips me going by and my sister and I go flying into on-ramp concrete abutment at 70mph. airbacks and fast deceleration suck, I have 4 herniated discs in my lower back now. I told my sister as we watched her car go on the flatbed, cars are replaceable, people aren't. Glad to see you are still around.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
MDC

That sucks man. What a helpless feeling to see her coming and not a damn thing you can do about it
www.xpressboats.com

Nothing says 'poor craftmanship' like wrinkles in your duct tape
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
JRB

Sorry to see that. This is making me rethink the bumper route. .

JRB
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
PS - could any of this have been better if you'd have had a bumper on the truck?
Seeing as how I had a hitch and the bumpers on these things suck ass I don't think so. If you notice the entire bed was pushed forward into the cab etc. I think if it had been a more direct hit to the frame like with the bumper it would have just been an accordian.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB
Sorry to see that. This is making me rethink the bumper route. .

JRB
Seeing as how you can't even tow with a factory bumper I don't think they will save you anything in a situation like this. More likely you will just end up with a bumper smashed into the back of the truck bed and implanted there along with the rest of the damage already incurred.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
I know this sucks, but you are alright, and the truck can be replaced (I am not being insensetive to your time invested, but you know what I mean). My brother died in a car accident June 3, 2005. I was in one within three days of his. A guy in Houston traffic on I-10 doesn't follow the road and bounces of the guy next to him and clips me going by and my sister and I go flying into on-ramp concrete abutment at 70mph. airbacks and fast deceleration suck, I have 4 herniated discs in my lower back now. I told my sister as we watched her car go on the flatbed, cars are replaceable, people aren't. Glad to see you are still around.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad no one was seriously injured. However it just sucks to see the literally hundreds of hours of time I invested become worthless in seconds.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

dude, this absolutely sucks. I LOVE your truck. its been an inspiration to me.
Shifty has a few good ideas there. follow his lead

please re-build it. I dont know what else to say
Todd
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Please tell me you had your truck appraised and fully insured.

I would sue the **** out of that lady. Get a lawyer and have her cell phone records pulled, see if she was talking on the phone or doing anything else that could have prevented the wreck, then sue the hell out of her.

Be sure to get her insurance to cover medical (actual and preventative) - go see a chiropractor, if it did that much shock to your truck, guess what your spine and other stuff is looking like right now? Last thing you want is future pains and aches like I got from my wrecks.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, but at the same time, If you end up partin' anything out, lemme know

I don't plan on walking away until I am very fairly compensated. I just know it will be a big battle to get what I want out of it. I also know that I don't want them to try to fix it either. Once stuff is hit that hard nothing ever lines up right anymore.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGen
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad no one was seriously injured. However it just sucks to see the literally hundreds of hours of time I invested become worthless in seconds.

I am with you, it looks like you spent a lot of time and elbow greese on it. Well on the bright side (if there is on at theis point) your settlement will be enough to buy a nice one that someone else can't afford to keep, and I know that doesn't help the pain either
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGen
Once stuff is hit that hard nothing ever lines up right anymore.

Wanna sell all the fenders Seriously though, I checked out all the pics on your website, she sure was a pretty ride. You sure you neck doesn't hurt Hope everything works out for you and glad your ok.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkid
I feel your pain dude. That really, really sucks. Hope things turn out with insurance.
That sucks
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
Jim_PA

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'd do too... Sue the sh*t out of someone weather the compensation for damage caused is reasonable or not. Must have a lawyer in the family.....
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #17
MrC1
Dork For Days

Lightbulb Re: My Truck Rear Ended - Pics

Man, that sucks. Sorry for all the loss, but glad it was only mechanical, not physical.

I can't agree with the couple of posts saying you should sue the s*** outta her though. Unless she truly did something negligent to cause all that damage there's no reason to go wild with the lawsuits. Sorry, that's just a really crappy attitude and it's one of the big problems in our society today.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting fully reimbursed for your loss. In the regard, make sure you get all that's coming to you. If the lady simply couldn't stop fast enough, I'd leave her alone beyond that.

Good luck!!
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
PLavelle

Damn! Your truck has always been one of my favorites. Makes me sick to see that too. Hope everything works out for you. Keep us updated.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #19
project76

Man i almost cried and it's not even my truck. Your truck has been one of the baddest trucks i've seen. Will you build another?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #20
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Definitely one of my favorite trucks too - dang, not much can be added over what is said above - sorry!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #21
72str8flush

I agree go to the chiropractor... racks up the medical bills, thus racking up the pain and suffering you will be entitled to. Plus you may even get massages out of it. Don't worry, you may come out better off than what you started.
72str8flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #22
72MARIO

Well at least your Oky. That's my biggiest fear having the box driven into the back of the cab then pushing me into the dash. Bumper or not that would have happned. Did the fuel cell hold up ? . Hopefuly you get your money from someone.

Mabye the next one will be even faster and better.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #23
Joe67
67 is sold

OUCH. I'm sorry to read this, brings back memories.

I'm glad nobody was really hurt. Good luck working things out

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #24
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72str8flush
I agree go to the chiropractor... racks up the medical bills, thus racking up the pain and suffering you will be entitled to. Plus you may even get massages out of it. Don't worry, you may come out better off than what you started.
please include my pain and suffering too.maybe some sponcers will donate for a good cause!!! but probley not, most are cheap and wont even give ya 10 or 20$ off a big order..... good luck
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #25
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1
Man, that sucks. Sorry for all the loss, but glad it was only mechanical, not physical.

I can't agree with the couple of posts saying you should sue the s*** outta her though. Unless she truly did something negligent to cause all that damage there's no reason to go wild with the lawsuits. Sorry, that's just a really crappy attitude and it's one of the big problems in our society today.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting fully reimbursed for your loss. In the regard, make sure you get all that's coming to you. If the lady simply couldn't stop fast enough, I'd leave her alone beyond that.

Good luck!!
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. THATS ONE OF THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS WITH THIS COUNTRY TODAY. PEOPLE BEING SO SUE HAPPY. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. NO ONE WAS KILLED & I'M SURE YOUR TRUCK WILL BE REPLACED. NOW IF THAT LADY WAS TO RUN INTO YOU ON PORPOUS (SP) THAT WOULD BE ANOTHER STORY ALL TOGETHER. I'M A FIRM BELIEVER IN "WHAT GOES AROUND.. COMES AROUND" . ALL THE PEOPLE THAT AVOCATE SUING THE HELL OUT OF THIS LADY BETTER HOPE I'M WRONG IF THEY EVER GET INTO AN ACCIDENT. I'M SORRY ABOUT YOUR TRUCK. I'LL BET YOUR NEXT ONE WILL BE EVEN NICER. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote