The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
CDN_Redneck

2wd ----> 4x4??

I'm curious as whether any of you have ever (or known anybody) that has swapped a 2wd frame for a 4x4? I"m thinking of converting my 68 GMC to 4x4 (well, done thinking, I'm going ahead with it as soon as I find a donor truck), just wondering if there's any tricks to this, what you've learned and so on..

any info is much appreciated,

Thanks,
Dana
CDN_Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
67'ShortMonster

Re: 2wd ----> 4x4??

Frame rails are pretty much identical i think... just have to buy spring hangers and bolt em on. I am not sure if the holes are there or not. Shouldn't be to hard. Almost as easy as finding a 4x4 frame.
67'ShortMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
mrein3

I didn't do it but the truck I own has a chassis that started life as a 1971 4x4 and a cab and box that started life as a 1970 C/10.

You basically just find a working 4x4, (I'd get a 71 or 72 for the front disc brakes), then put your 2wd body on it.

The body mounts for the 4x4 are different than the 2wd c/10. Other than that everything else pretty much bolts on.

One other difference is that some 2wds had a "low hump" in the cab but I don't know if that will interfere with your tranny/transfer case. If it does you can cut it out and replace it with a high hump from one of the dealers on the parts board that always have a stack of them. The high humps bolt in so it will look stock.

Keep all the title work and let the DMV know what you are up to. If you talk to them BEFORE you start you'll have a much easier time of getting tags for your "new" truck.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
CDN_Redneck

Thanks for the great info guys, (that was fast! lol) As far as the DMV goes, I'm keeping the vin tags from my current truck (Canada has different guidlines, I'm not too worried about it, keeping the same plates I have now) I"ve got front disc on my truck now, and the conversion wasn't all that horrible, so I'm not too worried about that. I guess I should have given more info about my truck the way it is now.. (if that makes any difference to the info already provided) lol:

3/4 ton, lwb, 5 speed, straight six (I'm hoping to keep it as a manual but get a 350 for it with the donor truck, although I'd kill for a diesel ), manual steering but more than likely changing that to power during the conversion...

Thanks again,
Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3
I didn't do it but the truck I own has a chassis that started life as a 1971 4x4 and a cab and box that started life as a 1970 C/10.

You basically just find a working 4x4, (I'd get a 71 or 72 for the front disc brakes), then put your 2wd body on it.

The body mounts for the 4x4 are different than the 2wd c/10. Other than that everything else pretty much bolts on.

One other difference is that some 2wds had a "low hump" in the cab but I don't know if that will interfere with your tranny/transfer case. If it does you can cut it out and replace it with a high hump from one of the dealers on the parts board that always have a stack of them. The high humps bolt in so it will look stock.

Keep all the title work and let the DMV know what you are up to. If you talk to them BEFORE you start you'll have a much easier time of getting tags for your "new" truck.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
lazygaurd

I may have most of what you need, although it is a 1/2 ton.
Darrell 604-796-8722
lazygaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
CDN_Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygaurd
I may have most of what you need, although it is a 1/2 ton.
Darrell 604-796-8722
Sweet,

expect a phone call soon..

Dana

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, rye in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "YEEHAW what a ride!"
Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
qksilver

I am in the process using a 2 wheel drive frame to replace a rusty 4x4 frame. The crossmembers are different, the body mounts are different but drill and use grade 8 bolts and you will be in good shape.
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #8
buildin72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Redneck
...(I'm hoping to keep it as a manual but get a 350 for it with the donor truck, although I'd kill for a diesel

Thanks again,
Dana

ThataBoy!!! I'm a diesel nut too!!! CUMMINS diesel nut that is! Nothin like a Hummin Cummins.

Adam

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4
Reg. Cab
Long Bed
LBZ Duramax
Allison 6sp

1970 Chevy C/10
Short Bed
buildin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
CDN_Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin72
ThataBoy!!! I'm a diesel nut too!!! CUMMINS diesel nut that is! Nothin like a Hummin Cummins.

Adam

Haha.. thanks, but just a note, I'm a girl...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, rye in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "YEEHAW what a ride!"
Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Redneck
Thanks for the great info guys, (that was fast! lol) As far as the DMV goes, I'm keeping the vin tags from my current truck (Canada has different guidlines, I'm not too worried about it, keeping the same plates I have now) I"ve got front disc on my truck now, and the conversion wasn't all that horrible, so I'm not too worried about that. I guess I should have given more info about my truck the way it is now.. (if that makes any difference to the info already provided) lol:

3/4 ton, lwb, 5 speed, straight six (I'm hoping to keep it as a manual but get a 350 for it with the donor truck, although I'd kill for a diesel ), manual steering but more than likely changing that to power during the conversion...

Thanks again,
Dana
Good luck on the VIN tags. I'd still call your DMV and let them know what you are up to.

Regarding the actual conversion I think you are missing a few key pieces of information.

The disc brakes you have on your 2wd have nothing to do with what is on a 4wd truck. They are different.

Your 5-speed won't do you any good either. There are conversion kits available for the NV4500 5-speed in modern Chevy and Dodge trucks but the kit is around $2500. That is $2500 AFTER you get your hands on the transmission.

The cheapest and by far the easiest route to go is to locate what you want for a drive train (manual or auto). Attempt to get a 3/4 ton setup or 1/2 ton depending on what you want. Then put your cab and box on the new 4x4 chassis.

If you really insist on a 5-speed manual, do a little math up front first. You can buy a lot of gas for $2500. Your break even point will be WAY down the road at an optimistic 30% savings in gas mileage. However the other benefits of having overdrive (quieter engine on the highway, better mileage, cool factor) may be worth it if you have an extra couple of thousand dollars laying around.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
CDN_Redneck

mrein3,

I realize the brakes are completely different, I was just stating that we've done the conversion before, and I'm not worried if we have to do it again if I get a good deal on a truck that doesn't have front disc. I know my 5-speed won't work, I was just stating what I already have and that I would like to keep the truck as a standard after the conversion (albeit with a different tranny). The plan is to get a complete donor truck with the body rusted out and swap bodies(as my body is in great shape and there's alot of blood, sweat, tears and money into it) It will more than likely be a 4 speed anyways. I'm not worried about gas mileage or a break even point. This is a project that I know will cost me money, and that's fine. I'm not worried about a quiet engine, in fact I'd like it to be louder than it is now. (with the straight 6 it sounds like a sewing machine on steroids)

Thanks again for the info
Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3
Good luck on the VIN tags. I'd still call your DMV and let them know what you are up to.

Regarding the actual conversion I think you are missing a few key pieces of information.

The disc brakes you have on your 2wd have nothing to do with what is on a 4wd truck. They are different.

Your 5-speed won't do you any good either. There are conversion kits available for the NV4500 5-speed in modern Chevy and Dodge trucks but the kit is around $2500. That is $2500 AFTER you get your hands on the transmission.

The cheapest and by far the easiest route to go is to locate what you want for a drive train (manual or auto). Attempt to get a 3/4 ton setup or 1/2 ton depending on what you want. Then put your cab and box on the new 4x4 chassis.

If you really insist on a 5-speed manual, do a little math up front first. You can buy a lot of gas for $2500. Your break even point will be WAY down the road at an optimistic 30% savings in gas mileage. However the other benefits of having overdrive (quieter engine on the highway, better mileage, cool factor) may be worth it if you have an extra couple of thousand dollars laying around.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
shoobear

hey,keep me posted about the progress. i have a 4x4 frame and also will be putting on a 2wd body in the near future.(when i find a good cab)
cheers

2001 F350 6" Lifted Dually
1970 ScoutII with chevy implants
1970 GMC 3/4 LB 4x4 (for sale)
1972 Chevy 3/4 LB 4x4 -project
shoobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #13
GMCMAX

Look under rear leaf arch thread...
I put blazer front end t/case and trans under my 68 GMC that was a 2wd. I used the original frame and added the 4X4 parts. The hard part was getting the rivets out of the old pieces,but other than drilling new holes for things, it wasn't that bad. I bought everything from someone that made a blazer 4X4 into a 2wd.
I got lucky and the blazer front end gears matched my rears,

Gets More Chicks

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

68 GMC, 4X4 conversion w/73 k20 running gear and springs, 350 4spd, 4.10's, D44 powerlok front, 14BFF govlock rear, 33" tires, lifted 4".
GMCMAX is offline   Reply With Quote