The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
86burb

Recommendations for upgrades?

Hi:
I will be using my 86 3/4 ton 4x4 on old logging roads and moderate trails. Lots of gravel and snow, and some mud. I'd like it to still be a good snowy/icy road rig, too. It's 2 primary jobs will be hauling a boat and scouting for backcountry whitetail bucks here in Vermont. I don't want an extreme truck, though I know they are fun.

Currently it is all stock. The rear differential is open. It has a 14 bolt, 10.5" rear diff, 3.73 gears, and stock load range e tires. It has the heavy duty 350 v-8 and the 4 speed manual trans with the unsynchronized granny gear.

1. Any recommendations for locking or limited slip differentials, front and rear?
2. Tire recommends? I'd like to keep running load range e for the weight capacity. Currently it has Kumho Venture M/Ts on the stock 16" rims. I'd like to get a quieter tire with more tread life.
3. Do you recommend a moderate ( 2"--3") lift?
4. What rating and brand winch do you recommend, and which mounting bumper??

Thanks,
Bill
86burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
u2slow
Web Wheeler

Re: Recommendations for upgrades?

1) Detroit Locker. Installation is very DIY-friendly (replaced spider gears). The stock posi requires gear setup, and is considerably less effective. ARB and Elec-trac(?) are more $$$, require gear setup, either air or electric hookups, but can be turned off and on.

2) 255/85R16's fit on my stock-height crewcab. The size is limited to a D-rating AFAIK, and the tread patterns are similar to what you have. Toyo, Dunlop, BFG, & others produce this size.

3) IMO, lifts are done to fit bigger tires. I wouldn't bother unless you are planning on 35"+ tires (and suitable wheels). Minor fender cutting will help with larger tires also.

4) I have a basic warn bumper and 12k# winch. IMO dual batteries are a good idea - and a must-have for the larger winches.

You may consider ditching the swaybar. It helped my rig offroad. However, I do notice its missing on a winding highway and drive accordingly. I'm not sure if/how that would affect towing.

Some people shave the rear axle for extra ground clearance. I hear up to 1" or so can be removed off the cast center section without any reconstructive surgery.

'66 C10 longstep - Clifford equiped
'84 C20 Suburban 6.2L - awaiting 4x4 conversion
'91 V3500 Crewcab - awaiting diesel swap
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Recommendations for upgrades?

A 4X4 shop should be able to set you up with sway bar disconnects.They disconnect the sway bar for off-road and reconnect for on road.I agree on lifts,if you don't need the ground clearance or tire clearance don't raise the center of gravity.I also think for your use the Detroit is the best choice.They tend to be a bit noisy but you don't seem to be looking for a smooth hiway cruiser.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote