The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Tim Christian

Talking Bucket Seat Question???????

I am getting ready to install my buckets in the 69 that had a bench seat orginally. Do I use any of the holes that is already there?
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Huck

Tim, if you are using early bucket seats with the fold down console---can't help. If using later buckets 69-72---I found the mounts a bit low so I built them up with some wood. The holes don't really line up that well but I was able to catch a few. Make sure you set them up and sit/drive with them in place before you start drilling. How they feel is much more import then how they look--been there done that! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Tim Christian

Hey Huck, They are 69-72 style I should of said that. I was wondering if I could use a hole already there as a starting point?
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:48 AM   #4
Huck

What i did was with the carpet out, line up one seat with existing holes. What you find is that the seat brackets are no way stable with the seat frames as over time the frames get a little squerrelley. It's been 4 years but I do recall being able to catch a few of the original holes but no way could I catch them all---keeping in mind that bench seats don't have inner tracks like buckets do and my truck was not predrilled for inner tracks. SO drilling was required as well as BIG washer backplating for stability. You got to kind of eyeball this installation with a ruller etc. as your under cab supports/frame/etc can be in the way at times. Not really that big a deal once you get them where you want them. Line up the outer front screw holes as a starting point but you might want to put the console in first as you would hate to have that not fit after the fact----. As I mentioned earlier, I wound up jacking them up just a bit (1") which allowed them to set back a we bit as well. Some might say it was for leg clearance, my wife would say it was for belly clearance, but in reality it was for little willie clearance. The final result looks great untill you have a third rider---the console will not support them unless they are little folk or small smelly criter---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:56 AM   #5
Low69CST

I have a set of what I think is 73 buckets. I bolted each seat up first using the forward outer set of holes. For the drivers side it was the forward 2 mounting holes that are closest to the door for the original bench seat. On the passenger it was the forward 2 holes closest to the door for the bench seat as well. Then from there got some wood/aluminum scraps and start shimming them up where I wanted the seats to go. Basically jsut the rear mounts of the drivers seat, then marked the holes and drilled. Now that i'm putting my truck together for keeps I've ordered aluminum blocks to replace my hillbilly spacers I made. They fit good I think. Really pleased with them.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:06 AM   #6
pierce

My brother-in-law took out the factory buckets and put in a 72 bench and the outside holes for the brackets lined up perfect.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:12 AM   #7
kingparts

What are you going to do about the holes from the Ford Pinto bucket seats you had in there before?(LOL)
David