The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
75Chevy90Kawi
the green machine

another "how much drop?" / "what wheels?" question

hopefully before summer, i would like to drop my truck, and sooner or later, get some new wheels and tires on her. right now i'm running 275/45/R20's in the front and 295/45/R20's in the rear
here's what i want

wheels and tires
-a fair amount of meat, with at least as much width in rear as i have now. i want something close to 17's or 18's in the rear, and the same size or a little smaller in front.
-a tire with about the same overall height as stock
-a nice clean look, nothing too blingin or gaudy.

drop
-nothing too extreme. i dont want to have to have to take speed bumps sideways or anything like that (and we've got some pretty gnarly ones at my high school!), even with my side exit exhaust.
-either a level stance or a LITTLE bit higher in back
-info on the best place to get a complete drop kit.
-i dont want bags, so don't suggest them, and i dont want to slam it, so dont even bring it up.

basically, i want to give my truck a mean look. i want to get this done before next fall, as i'll be heading off to college and this will become my "sunny weekend truck". pictures are helpful, and all that.
My pictures
75Chevy90Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Re: another "how much drop?" / "what wheels?" question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Chevy90Kawi
wheels and tires
-a fair amount of meat, with at least as much width in rear as i have now. i want something close to 17's or 18's in the rear, and the same size or a little smaller in front.
-a tire with about the same overall height as stock
-a nice clean look, nothing too blingin or gaudy.
drop
-nothing too extreme. i dont want to have to have to take speed bumps sideways or anything like that (and we've got some pretty gnarly ones at my high school!), even with my side exit exhaust.
-either a level stance or a LITTLE bit higher in back
-info on the best place to get a complete drop kit.
-i dont want bags, so don't suggest them, and i dont want to slam it, so dont even bring it up.
Well, for the wheels/tires, I would say keep your nice ass 20's and just get a shorter sidewall, like 245/45's and 275/35's.
For the drop, I'd do a 3/5, Spindles/Flip Kit, SummitRacing.com. DJM 3" Spindles are $225, and the flip kit is like $100.
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
75Chevy90Kawi
the green machine

Re: another "how much drop?" / "what wheels?" question

that would be good, and i may end up keeping the rims, but the main reason for getting new rims would be to get more tire and keep the overall height.

also, how easy would it be for a very ameteur mechanic/car guy to drop his own truck? i've done some work (a tranny drop being the extent of my endeavours) and am fairly good with my hands overall, so i should be able to drop my truck myself, right?
My pictures
75Chevy90Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote