The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
burksde

67 Starter/Iginition problem

Ok fellas, I know it is alot but I like to try and give all the info. I appreciate any help.
I have a 1967 Chevy C-10. It has early 70 350 block. (383).
I recently started driving the truck after about 2 years in rework.
I replaced the Muncie 4 spd with a turbo 400, which required a different starter. All was good for about 3 weeks drive time (about 2 dozen starts) and then I started having problems. (before rework I had not starting problems) The only wiring that was messed with was a new one wire alt installed and motor was not touched. I was driving, made a stop came out and NO GOOD. Would not start.
NOW, my problem.
Turn the key on and all lights, radio and all work fine. Turn the key to the start position and nothing...the starter does not even try to kick over. (lights stay on and such, no expected drain as if bad battery) I tried to have my buddy jump me with his jeep and nothing changed. Got my 2004 Dodge (higher amp charging system) and the truck fired off with no hesitation what so ever.
I took the truck in and had the battery tested (red top optima), the starter pulled off and tested and the charging system (just cause) tested. All show to be good. I even took a known good battery and put it in, same effect. I have made sure the purple wire gets power when I turn the ignition to start, it does. All connections are good clean, tight, and are new wires.
It just seems the starting system needs more "juice" Any help PLEASE. I know the Chevy starting system is simple, but I cannot figure this one out. Thanks for your time.
burksde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: 67 Starter/Iginition problem

Did you change the steering column when you did the swap? What I'm getting at is if the Neutral safety switch (which is only on the automatic columns) is bad you could have the trouble you're having. If the column is the same then I would make sure you have good clean battery connections. The only other thing I can think of is the starter solenoid is bad.

BTW welcome to the board from South Mississippi.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
MDC

Mine did the exact same thing, except I have a 327 3 spd and never tried to jump it. Just figured I busted something. To say my wiring harness had been altered is an understatement, but it seemed to be 'right'. I just finished rebuilding the dash and eng compartment harnesses and am getting them back in the truck. Picked up a new starter/solenoid tonight. After memorizing the wiring diagram, the most logical thing would be the solenoid. Will let you know once it's all back together. Or let me know if you beat me to it.

And yes, welcome from N Texas.
www.xpressboats.com

Nothing says 'poor craftmanship' like wrinkles in your duct tape
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Welcome to the forums. The first thing to do would be to eliminate the wiring to the starter and to do this you can jump from the large cable to the s terminal on the starter where the purple wire goes. If the starter turns then the problem is in the purple wire back to the ignition switch. When you got the 12 volt reading was it at the starter or at the key switch? If it was at the key switch then you may have a bad neutral start switch as was mentioned. At first I thought you had a heat soak problem which is a common cause of your symptoms. That would require more voltage to engage the solenoid and turn the starter. After a cooling period the starter usually works as normal until it gets overheated again.
If you jump the solenoid be sure to have the truck in park and emergency brake on for safety. Good luck.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
burksde

OK folks,
I got it going. After pulling my hair out and a few 12 packs of beer.

Here is what it was....After taking my starter in to the local parts store and having it tested...the brain child behind the counter sold me the wrong solenoid. I took my old one in and showed him what I had. He brought out the new one which was the long one (I needed the short one). I told him I was not sure of the difference. He said he was SURE that the only difference was that the new one was the "new" style and that it was a little more powerful. He said that as long as the block did not get in the way all would be good....long story short. I took the starter to a local and he got the right one. I got home put the starter back on and PRESTO...All is good....Thanks for the help...
burksde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
carl609

I know you already fixed it but just a tip for everyone. the starter grounds thru the block where it bolts up, make sure you clean off any paint or grease from the starter mounting pad before installation. My only other tip is to never listen to the guy at the parts store. most of those guys have a hard time installing a gas cap.
carl609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

I just love a happy ending.
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote