The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
crosby

fuel pump problems?

I have an 87 V20 pickup, just got finished sticking an engine in it from an 87 Jimmy, and it won't start. When I switch tanks, you can a whining sound, like a solenoid or something. Could that be something that switches tanks only? Looking into the throttle body, I don't see any gas at all on the intake floor. There is some dirt or rust in there, which I should probably vacuum out somehow... Any idea what harness should be connecting to power the fule pumps, and where it is supposed to connect? Thanks for your help!
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: fuel pump problems?

The whining noise is the switching motor under the cab shifting tank alignment. It is normal and you should listen for that noise when you change tanks. At this point I don't have my tech manual for the wiring diagrams.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
crosby

Re: fuel pump problems?

Thank you sir, at least that confirms what I have been thinking. I am guessing I may have missed the harness that powers the fuel pumps when I swapped the engine in. I have a connector that is now wrapped around the brake booster that looks like a spade connector with two terminals side by side, going nowhere. I normally am not that good at wiring, and this truck is so moused that it's unbelievable!! I really should get the factory service manual, shouldn't I? Thanks very much for any help you guys can provide. I am so close to getting this thing running, I can feel it! Soon I will be plowing, and bringing wood home for our third floor, and doing burnouts in front of the neighbors' houses. It's gonna be GREAT!!!
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote