The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Matt_305

Truck's Progress...

Hello there. I have never really stated my plans on here or what I've done thus far on my truck or told much about me for that matter. I am from Nova Scotia, Canada out in the country I am now 16 years old and this is how my truck's story goes. In 1981 a red GMC Sierra rolled off the assembly line with a straight 6 and a 3 speed automatic with the only options being quad headlamps and an am radio and she was purchased by an elderly gentlemen.The truck originally entered the family in 1983 (when it was 2 years old) when it was purchased by my Uncle from a used car lot who got it from the older man.. In 1986 it was sold to my grandfather and then passed to my dad in 1991. After being registered for a number of years its condition deteriorated and being as we already had several cars on the road and we didn't need a truck (we had stopped the ATVing trips it had been originally used for) it was left to sit in the driveway and then the lawn, used to haul wood and dress up as a halloween decoration/christmas decoration on occasion. Then in 2004 it was passed onto me when a parts truck was located and I was looking for a vehicle to work on and would be able to drive when I turned 16. At the time I was 14 it ran and I had always loved it (even having GMC carved in my hair at one point) and it was done. I set to work, I removed all the front body parts and the box got to the frame sanded grinded, and painted the frame, sanded painted all parts that were to be reused and replaced everything that needed replacing (such as the right front fender) bumpers, lights etc. The turn signals are actually those of an 83 tucked neatly away mounted to the grill. I installed a cd player and stereo, the rally rims and bigger almost new tires off the parts truck. Then in October last year (the one just gone by) I had it towed to the garage where my dad works. Everything was gone over, fluids and filters changed, new brakes (rotors, calipers, pads,shoes,flex hoses,wheels cylinders and lines) transmission lines, all hoses and belts, thermostat, plugs, exhaust system including the nearly $200 front pipe for the 6.The tailgate was repaired as well as the rear posts of the new box with 1/4 inch thick steel diamond plate pieces, new battery and finally new shocks were mounted. And we drove it home in december. It idles a little rough in the cold but as always she still starts and runs great warm (probably thanks to even though it sat we turned it on and moved it every at the the most 2 weeks). I am waiting till spring for paint but soon some metal will be welded in just behind the rear wheels where it's a little weak nowhere near rusted through but it needs it and undercoated. Also before paint it will get a new hood and drivers door (as they are badly pitted). Also in the spring new control arms as the ones that are on it are slightly rusty. The final thing is to get 2 more gmc center caps for my rally wheels as 2 of mine are chevy but it's not a problem I can get 2 from a hubcap place here for $35 Please check out the progress on my car domain site here:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/405071/1
I hope it's an interesting story and looks decent for a kids first try, I worked hard and it has a lot of sentimental value. Any questions fire away thanks for some help along the way by the way I will definately show you guys when it's all painted.

edit:you might notice horrible exploded sunvisors in one of the old interior pics. The interior was looked after as well as the outside including the replacement of the disintegrated sunvisors.

Last edited by Matt_305; 01-23-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Matt_305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Ric83

Re: Truck's Progress...

Well, looks like you know exactly where you are and where you need to go. Congrats!! Keep up the good work and keep us up to date.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
moneyeater

Very nice starting point.Stay at it and donīt let it take more than a decade like mine!
Hope the new paint will be red?!Timeless and hot!
Good work!
Moneyeater
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Matt_305

haha I'll try not to, and yes the color will go back to red, hopefully the original apple with a bit of flake. Thanks for the compliments and responses guys!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Lookin good Matt!

Shes gonna be a very sharp truck when all is said and done!