The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
Chromeblvd

Question Baja Beast Crower Cam for 350

First off: 89 Chevy Suburban 4x4 on 35's...(possible) blown head gasket on a 180k 350 TBI motor. I was pulling my work-truck home one day last summer. It was an hour drive. My work truck weighed 15,000 lbs. and there were plenty-o-hills. Pulled infront of my home...large cloud of smoke engulfs the neighborhood. Low water in radiator...ouch! Temperature guage was still at normal operating temps.
Second: money is tight...new hobby, business, taxes, high heating bills, gas, etc.
Questions: When I perform a compression test and it tells me the head gasket is the culprit...can I just replace the gaskets and still rely on the vehicle for long drives? Of-course this is specifically for this scenario. I understand there are many what-if's at this point. Since the truck temporarily smokes of oil on start up and the number 8 plug is oily, replacing the valve stem seals should resolve that problem. Correct?
Initial Question: Would it be a bad idea due to high mileage and not replacing other initial components like bearings and crankshaft to add a torque cam like the Crower-Baja Beast cam and hydraulic lifters? I am being told by many backyard mechanics, like myself, that I should completely go through the motor if I were to add the new cam. Today, I was told by a professional mechanic, one who installs these cams on a regular basis, that I wouldn't need to do anything else to the motor other than replace the timing chain. I've driven his work before and this cam will give this 350 the oomph it needs. I plan on using this vehicle as a tow vehicle for my hobby. At the most, it'll pull 2,000 lbs boat/trailer for 4-10 hours once a month. Does anybody agree/disagree with what I've said? Should I stick with the gasket rebuild kit and forget the cam for now and wait on a new motor? Or do both for under $250 parts and my labor?

Last edited by Chromeblvd; 01-24-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Chromeblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

Re: Baja Beast Crower Cam for 350

I'm faced with a similar problem. My 87 smokes all the time, and is sucking oil through the PCV. I use it about as often as you use yours, and we've already decided the wife is getting an Excursion, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the Burb. Some things to think about:

-You did a compression test. What were the values? Is it possible it's smoking due to rings?

-A leakdown tester may be better for you, it'll tell you exactly what's not sealing. Harbor Freight Tools sells them fairly cheap http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4317

-Of course, once you find out if it is just the head gaskets, the heads will need to be checked by a machine shop to make sure they're not cracked. Check the block as well. (I'm assuming you already know this, just pointing it out for others' reference)

-If all seems good with the heads and block, and the rings aren't worn, I'd go ahead and do the head gaskets. The cam is up to you, but as long as you use new lifters, pushrods, valve springs, etc. I don't see why you'd need to rebuild the entire engine. Perhaps install new cam bearings if they don't mic up correctly. I can understand why people would recommend doing the whole engine, and I would too, for reliability, but I also understand your financial concerns. I have them too.
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Chromeblvd

Thanks! Good advice.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I`d do the head gaskets and save for an engine build.It didn`t get hot,so there won`t be cracking or warping.I wouldn`t change cam dynamics in a hi-mile motor.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-25-2006 at 03:00 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Chromeblvd

Thanks Special-K! It' so tempting to replace that cam. The difference in torque is amazing. I drove my buddy's truck and didn't want to return it. lol Once in the engine, I'll have a better idea what to do next. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Get another motor for next to nothing if not free.Start building a motor the way you want as your pocket allows.I`ve done this before and the truck it was for was gone before it was done and it found it`s way into another one.You can`t go wrong.Good luck with it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote