The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
Rusty Old Chevy

Converting a Longbox to a short

ok i have a 72 chevy pickup longbox....now iam wondering if anyone as converted there long box to a short box....if so how much work is there involved in this detail?? any good pics of it in progress?? i just wanna know if it is possible...cus after i build up my longbox i have a spare cab, box sides and frame from another 72 ready to either make a short box or just make another long....i just love the shorties but they are hard to find in my area....any help or suggestions would be nice....thanks
Rusty Old Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
JRB

Re: Converting a Longbox to a short

If you go to the FAQ Submissions and look under index of strings you will find in there a complete guide with pictures of how to. Good luck I am buying a 67 Longbed that I am going to do the same thing to.
IF you run into any issues please let me know.
JRB
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:49 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Here is a full article from ECE's website including very detailed instructions AND pictures!

http://www.earlyclassic.com/tech.aspx?category=Longbed,%20No!-Shortbed

Enjoy.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:27 AM   #4
derek

yeah check out early classics. i converted my 68 long bed to a short through them. they did an awesome job... too bad i could only afford a worthless rusty short bed
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Many have done it including myself. I had a professional in the town I live do it for me-see below. Fairly cheap it's just labor intensive mostly. Beware though, once you do it you'll start seeing things you want to fix before it's all put together. It's an addiction.

JRB, you should check out Charley's Drop Shop on 33rd near Marine Drive. That's where mine was done. Check out my thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=181633

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 01-26-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I would always recommend you start out with a real SWB chassis and not cut one down, if you can. It is worth more money and a lot easier to sell, if you have to down the line.
I just put a 68 Chev SWB project on the trucks for sale board. That will give you an idea. It is a little more money up front, but so much of the suspension work is already done.
I would link to it, but someone suggested we should not do that? Is that correct? Anyone know.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote