The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

Help me put my truck on the road.

Hello...I don't know if any of you guys remember me. I used to pretty active on this board a few months ago. Unfortunately I've been so busy with college and work that I haven't been able to work on my truck for a looong time.

Well it's finally time to give my truck some much needed attention...although I'm still very busy with both school and work I'm commited to getting my truck in working order.

Let me post some info on my truck so you guys know where I'm at.

It's a 71 GMC Fleetside C15(cab), 3/4 ton, A 1979(I believe)350 V8, Rochester Quadrajet(rebuilt), TH350 trans, Leaf-springs, 2WD...as my sig also states.

I've put headers on it, new dual exhaust, new distributor, plugs, wires, rebuilt the carb(3 times...I believe the body is warped), new K&N air filter, fixed all the lights and the wiper fluid system as well as the heater. I've also replaced some suspension parts(next in line are new shocks), I put a new starter in it, had the transmission looked at and the guy gave me the the thumbs up there. Things are definately coming along.

My last problem before getting busy with life was replacing the carb...this is where I'm at today.

Here is where I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm chucking my current rochestor and getting a brand new carb. Since the qjet is sitting on a spreadbore manifold I'll also be getting a new squarebore manifold. The carb I have in mind is this guy here HLY-0-80670(Summit part number)...it's a Holley street avenger 670cfm. The manifold I've decided on is this one EDL-2701 the Edelbrock Performer EPS.

Now I'm no engine expert...and definately a n00b compared to most of you guys here but I know the basics and I'm learning all I can. My thing is I want to make sure I have everything I need to do this project properly. Most importantly I want to make sure all my parts are compatible with what I have now and that I'm not missing anything. Now that I have decided on the big things(manifold and carb) I want to know what else I'll need to complete this.

I've put together a list of the things I think I will need:

Intake manifold gaskets(whats my best bet here?)

Transmission kick down HLY-20-40 (my trans uses the kick down connected up by carb..do I need this part, or does it come with my carb?)

Throttle Cable Bracket HLY-20-95 (again does it come with carb or do I need to buy this?)

Dual feed fuel line such as this RUS-641090(any better suggestions?)

Flexible fuel line from my stock mechanical fuel pump to the double feed(what should I get?) Also thinking about the fuel pump will it be able to pump out the right amount of gas for this new carb?

If there is anything I'm forgetting, any good suggestions, install tips...anything useful I'd very much appreciate your reply.

Thanks so much,

Kevin

P.S. Sorry this post was so long..I have alot of question.

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Help me put my truck on the road.

flexible fuel line not a good idea much better off with hard lines // due to line always being under pressure,engine heat,vibration,lots of wind from the rad fan a flexible line just gives you a higher potantial for catestrophic failure like the line splitting while your going down thw road and spraying pressurized gas all over your exhaust KABOOM
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Intake gaskets: Fel-pro is a good brand, you can buy them locally. Important thing is to throw away the rubber end gaskets and use black rtv instead.

Fuel line: I've been running rubber fuel lines for ages. I agree that steel or braided lines are best. Important thing with rubber is to inspect it every oil change and replace it as needed.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
R@nger
Psalm 23

Well I was looking at braided lines...not just a straight rubber line. I don't have the tools or know how to make my own hard fuel line so I figured this would work fine for me.

Fred I'm afraid I'm not quite following you when you say "Important thing is to throw away the rubber end gaskets and use black rtv instead." Could you explain that?

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 01-26-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
turbojunker

You use the two gaskets that go around the intake ports, and run a bead of rtv on each end of the lifter valley, instead of using the leak-prone rubber things.
turbojunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
cdowns

you might want to search back a few weeks and try finding the post where a board members truck burned up ===due to a braided hose failure on his carb!!!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 AM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Hard lines are pretty easy. Take some stiff wire and mock up between the fuel pump and carb to get an idea on the length you need. Go to the local parts store where they sell precut and flared lines. Buy the one you need and get a good tubing bender and bend it the way you need it. It's not hard, just got to be careful not to crimp the tubing.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
R@nger
Psalm 23

Krue I might just try to do that...thanks for the info there. My hard line thats on there now looks like someone tried to do it for the first time...its all bent every which way and a mess.

And Fred T I get what your sayings now, thanks for the suggestion.

Keep the advice and help coming guys...thanks.

Last edited by R@nger; 01-27-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
R@nger
Psalm 23

Anything else?

As soon as I can get everything figured out I can order my parts so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
pjmoreland

Welcome back. Edelbrock started making intake manifold gaskets fairly recently. Before they were making gaskets, their website said that the Felpro blue gaskets are too thin and hard. They recommended the thick style made by Felpro or Mr. Gasket. Here's what they say on their website now:

Installation Notes: Recommended intake gasket: Edelbrock #7201.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_..._sb_perf.shtml

Last edited by pjmoreland; 02-02-2006 at 03:39 AM.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I followed your last thread a couple months ago when you just could not get 'er to start. What was the problem? I'm curious
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck
I followed your last thread a couple months ago when you just could not get 'er to start. What was the problem? I'm curious
It was the distributor...a fellow board member, Duck was kind enough to give me an old distributor he had. I swapped them out and the truck started right up. I never totally figured out what was wrong with the old distributor...it did have alot of play in the shaft when I pulled it out and I think the pickup coil may have been bad.

Of course shortly thereafter I started driving the truck and really got to heat up the engine good and thats when I found out my carb was warped.

Ok now so far I have my questions answered about the fuel line(Krue thanks again for the help on how to make my own), and I know what kind of gasket I need. What I really need to know now is what if any accessories I need for my carb to complete the hook up of my kickdown and throttle. The parts I have in question are in my first post. I'm not sure if those parts are replacements or if they are actually needed.

Thanks again.

Last edited by R@nger; 02-02-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #13
R@nger
Psalm 23

I've been reading a print off I got from Summit on the Holley Street Avenger I'm going to get and it says that the Primary jets are 65 and the Secondaries are 68.

It then says that everything on the carb is adjusted to run its best at sea level and that for every 2000ft. of elevation I need to decrease the jet size by 1 number. I'm in Ogden Utah which is at about 4500ft. so should I buy jet sizes 63 for my primary and then a 66 for the secondaries?

If any of you guys have this carb I'd really like to hear from ya as I'm a bit lost on what all comes with the carb and what all I need to buy to make everything work right.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #14
cdowns

if you looking for recomendations how to jet a carb your best bet is to call the holley tech line// thats why the manufactures spend the money to have a tech line

Old 02-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
if you looking for recomendations how to jet a carb your best bet is to call the holley tech line// thats why the manufactures spend the money to have a tech line
Will do...I take it they would be able help me figure out what other parts I need to complete the project as well?

Old 02-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

I'm running that exact carb and manafold setup now only with an HEI. I live in Houston and tried lowering the primary jet size. It increased my fuel milage due to the secondaries were always kicked in. so I went back to the .65. Thry it out the way it comes out of the box. The old throttle and kickdown cable bracket will work on the Holley just fine.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #17
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs71
I'm running that exact carb and manafold setup now only with an HEI. I live in Houston and tried lowering the primary jet size. It increased my fuel milage due to the secondaries were always kicked in. so I went back to the .65. Thry it out the way it comes out of the box. The old throttle and kickdown cable bracket will work on the Holley just fine.
So I need to take the bracket off my quadjet and it will fix right on my holley? Did you have to replace your throttle return springs or will the old ones work? Also I'm not exactly sure what the elevation is in Houston but I would imagine it's rather close to sea level which may be why the stock jets worked so good. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
6872xtc

I have same intake and carb on SB 406 w/roller cam and had to go to 68 primary and 70 on secondary with 8.5 power valve. I'm at 4800 ft. elevation and mine was so lean out of the box it was barely driveable. A buddy has 670 Avenger on 350 with 1 step larger roller and weiand 142 blower and ran fine out of the box, so I would suggest play with it and see.
6872xtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #19
68Stepbed

Ranger, I don't recommend the 670 at all for your application. I would use the 570. I went to a 670 on my engine and it never ran right compared to the 570. The Street Avenger carbs are designed to run lean. You should not have to jet them down at all. I'm not sure what elevation we are here, but i had to jump from 54 stock pri. jets to 59's. Some may think I'm nuts, but the 670 is too big for a stock or very mild 350 engine. I get better throttle response and better mileage from the 570.

I'm almost positive the intake gaskets you need are Fel-Pro 1256. They are black material with blue, neoprene inserts around all ports.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #20
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed
Ranger, I don't recommend the 670 at all for your application. I would use the 570. I went to a 670 on my engine and it never ran right compared to the 570. The Street Avenger carbs are designed to run lean. You should not have to jet them down at all. I'm not sure what elevation we are here, but i had to jump from 54 stock pri. jets to 59's. Some may think I'm nuts, but the 670 is too big for a stock or very mild 350 engine. I get better throttle response and better mileage from the 570.

I'm almost positive the intake gaskets you need are Fel-Pro 1256. They are black material with blue, neoprene inserts around all ports.
Hmm interesting I'd never thought about the 570. I guess I'll look into that somemore.

If I use those Fel-pro gaskets should I still pitch the end strips and use the rtv instead?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #21
68/72parts

Just a quick question, the holley carbs were all square bore style carbs, as far as i knew and you would have to go to a square bore manifold as well for everthing to match properly without a carb spacer!! Maybe I miss read your original post but just checking??
68/72parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #22
R@nger
Psalm 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/72parts
Just a quick question, the holley carbs were all square bore style carbs, as far as i knew and you would have to go to a square bore manifold as well for everthing to match properly without a carb spacer!! Maybe I miss read your original post but just checking??
Yes the Street Avenger carb is square bore and my current manifold is spreadbore so yes I have to replace the manifold. There is no way I'm going to put another quadjet on my truck.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #23
68Stepbed

The Fel-Pro 1256 gasket comes with the cork/rubber mix end seal gaskets with the sticky stuff () on the bottom. They work well, but you have to clean the block surface really good with brake cleaner. They won't stick if you don't.

If you've never changed an intake before, it wouldn't hurt to have have someone with experience hangin' around to help. It's not hard to do once you've done it, but easy to screw up the first time.

Let us know how things turn out.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #24
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok I'm going to make the attempt to order everything before the weekend.

This is what I have in my Summit wishlist:

EDL-2701 Intake
FPP-1256 Gaskets
HLY-0-80570 Carb(68stepbed, I did some more homework and I think your totally right, 570cfm is what I should be running)
EDL-9300 Gasgacinch, Gasket Sealer

A few last things I still can't find answers to...

For those of you who bought the carb I will be getting, does it come with a throttle stud and a transmission kickdown stud?

Oh and 68stepbed unfortunately there is really no one I know who could show me how to do this...I'm just going to take my time and check and double check everything I do. If I have any questions during installation there is always this board to help me out

Last edited by R@nger; 02-09-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #25
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@nger
Ok I'm going to make the attempt to order everything before the weekend.

This is what I have in my Summit wishlist:

EDL-2701 Intake
FPP-1256 Gaskets
HLY-0-80570 Carb(68stepbed, I did some more homework and I think your totally right, 570cfm is what I should be running)
EDL-9300 Gasgacinch, Gasket Sealer

A few last things I still can't find answers to...

For those of you who bought the carb I will be getting, does it come with a throttle stud and a transmission kickdown stud?

Oh and 68stepbed unfortunately there is really no one I know who could show me how to do this...I'm just going to take my time and check and double check everything I do. If I have any questions during installation there is always this board to help me out
my 650dp didn't come with the throttle or kickdown stud, so you will need those, also if you are ordering from summit, they have kits for hard fuel lines that come with the bender,flarer, and fittings and stuff, you might look into it