The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
gator2511

Front Axle Seals?

My truck is a 72 Chevy 1/2 ton shortbed 4x4. The front end is a chevy 10 bolt. I just pulled the axles out of the front end and put new u joints in them. When I was putting it back together I noticed I never had any seal where the axle goes into the diff. housing tube. I know there are seals farther in the tube near the pumpkin but should there be one on the outside also? It seems like it should have one and I don't want to go near the water till I'm sure.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
CUSTOM/10

Re: Front Axle Seals?

I believe there should be two seals that go on the back side of the spindle. One is pressed inside the back of the spindle to seal to the stub axle and the other is a rubber seal that fits on the flange of the stub axle. Some one must have an exploded view of this for you.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
gator2511

Man I sure hope someone has a view of this. I have the spindles and hubs sealed up securely but nothing where the axle goes into the tube. This truck didn't have any when I bought it and I use it off road during the hunting season. None of the manuals I have show this part of the axle.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
CUSTOM/10

If your talking about a seal that goes inside the out end of the axle tube itself there is none only the seal that is way back inside the tube by the carrier bearings. The seals I was talking about are in the back of the spindle and ride on the stub axle.

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10
If your talking about a seal that goes inside the out end of the axle tube itself there is none only the seal that is way back inside the tube by the carrier bearings. The seals I was talking about are in the back of the spindle and ride on the stub axle.
Yep! Thats the one I'm talking about. I just got off the phone with the drivetrain shop I do business with and they said the same thing you said. Man I can't believe there is only one seal on that axle! He said some people smooth out the axle out at the end of the tube and put a seal in there. I wish I had thought about it when I was doing the work. Oh well, thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
4x4Poet

Since the pumpkin has seals next to the axle shaft splines, it's arguably better with open knuckles for the ends of the axle housing to be open since then any contaminants can get out as easily as they get in. Seal up the axle housing opening where the axle exits the tube and one runs the risk of trapping contaminants that then might build up enough to overcome the pumpkin seals. I also wonder how much lateral, off-center movement occurs at the axle between the wheel joint cross and the housing end which would stress any seal's ability to maintain its shape and sealing ability with the front axle engaged under torque.

In any case, I think water entering the housing ends is the greater danger over mere dirt, rocks, and plant matter. Water, when the axle is submerged, can easily travel toward the diff seals. Dirt, etc., cannot migrate inward easily unless water rushing in helps.

I think a diff cover with a dipstick would prove useful since then one could easily check for water contamination without the hassle of gasket scraping and resealing. I've also wanted to try one of the diff covers that have a clear tube that the pumpkin's oil travels thru for instant water contanmination check ability. Or even one of the clear, polycarbonate diff covers. I change my front diff oil yearly if any stream crossings have occured. Sometimes right after a stream crossing just to see what's what inside.

OTOH, Alloy USA makes seals for Jeep TJ front D44 housing ends, but Jeep owners will buy anything as long as its bolt-on and shiny.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
1969 GMC

I have slowly been taking apart the D60 I got at the junkyard, and the tubes are FULL of crap. Nasty, dried gritty dust/dirt type stuff.

I think a seal would be cool. It will be easy for me to clean out the tubes since I am disassembling the axle entirely (pressure washer) but for guys just doing rebuilds I've heard it can be a PITA to clean them out. There is/was a thread on Pirate about someone making tube seals, I think it would be a neat idea. If you're still worried about contamination, just pump the tubes full of grease, and perhaps put a drain plug in the tube.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote