The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
jay_shy
SWB 4X4 CLUB

Another van tilt question

I pulled a tilt column out of a 1978 chevy motorhome last weekend.

I did not notice until I got home but the turn signal lever has a button at the end and it says cruise on it.

Is this worth going back for the rest of the cruise parts.

If its worth pulling what should I be looking for. Pictures of the parts would be awesome as I have no clue as to what to look for.

Jason
jay_shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
junkyardjohn

Re: Another van tilt question

Jason... I Don't Think It Is. I've Pulled 25 Or 30 Tilts Out Of Vans, & I've Never Messed With The Cruise. Normally I Just Replace The Turn Signal Lever With A Truck T/s Lever. John
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
pjmoreland

Re: Another van tilt question

You could install the van cruise control setup on your truck without too much effort. I used components from a late '70s van and an early '80s Caprice on my truck and as far as I'm concerned, they work great. You could just use the parts from the van and it would work fine. Here are all the parts that I can think of that you'd need (I may be forgetting something):

1) The cruise turn signal lever (sounds like you already have that)

2) The transducer(controller). It's mounted to the back of the passenger side head next to the distributor, and has a two speedometer cables attached to it (one from the transmission, and one to the speedometer).

3) The speedometer cable that runs from the transducer to the transmission (you will have to purchase a new speedometer cable for connecting the transducer to the speedometer in your truck because the van speedometer has a different style of fitting.

4) The vacuum actuator that connects to the carburetor. You will need the long post on the carburetor that the actuator linkage connects to.

5) The vacuum fitting on the intake manifold behind the carburetor.

6) The vacuum hoses that run between the transducer, vacuum actuator and brake vacuum kill switch.

7) The brake vacuum kill switch that is mounted above the brake pedal.

8) The electric brake light switch that is also mounted above the brake pedal.

9) The wiring harness that connects the turn signal switch, the brake light switch and the transducer together.

This thread has more information in it:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=151318
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote