The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
72-stomper

SBC starters...Please Help.....

I Have a major starter Problem.....My Enjine has the dipstic on the drivers side...(older 350cic)I canot find a starter that works?????That 1/8 pin that comes with the starter is as loose as a goose(more like 3/16)I do not know how many teeth my flex plate has,,,I tried counting 3 times Does any body have any ideas????or part #. I have a guy comeing over tomorow yo buy this truck....I tried 2 different starters...HELP HELP
Yhanks,
Mark
72-stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: SBC starters...Please Help.....

If the starter bolts are offset from each other, it's a large flywheel. If they're straight across from each other, it's the small one.

Could you give more details about the loose pin?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Have you tried shimming the starter?

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
72-stomper

I have tried shimming , Needs 1/4 inch on outside.......Its too far away .... 2 flexplates 2 blocks...Someones gota know...PN???/
Old 02-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
72-stomper

Hey TX,
How can you tell that..................................When you can bolt either one up????????
Old 02-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter

We can help you figure this out, but it's not obvious what you're talking about.

There are different starter nosecones depending on size of flywheel and whether it's a standard or auto configuration.

Does your starter bolt to the block or bellhousing?

Are the bolts straight across from each other or staggered where one is closer to the flywheel than the other?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
72-stomper

I bought it with a grinding starter....Shes automatic....It looks like a nice new aftermarket flexplate...diag...
Old 02-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Staggered bolt pattern....

Are you using proper starter bolts or generic 3/8 bolts?

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 02-01-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
72-stomper

diag,,,auto block...How many different starters were available...I tried 2 from Autozone and both had 3/16 instead of the 1/2
Old 02-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
72-stomper

proper....stagered...
Old 02-01-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
72-stomper

I have to go for tonight...Thanks Tx....I hope we can solve this by tommorow...I think there is 4 diffrent starters avail....standarn block...metric block.... big...small flexplate?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
72-stomper

i meant 1/8th"
Old 02-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #13
53burb

You could mark one of the teeth on your flexplate, and rotate the engine and count. It should either be 153 teeth or 168 teeth. I believe the 153 tooth is physically smaller. The starter for those ones use the straight across bolt pattern. The 168 tooth flexplate use the staggered bolt pattern starters. If you have a large gap, maybe you have the 153 tooth flexplate, in which case you would need the straight across bolt pattern starter...
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #14
72-stomper

Thanks,,,I will try counting. I had this problem on a diferent truck. The directions state,The 1/8 inch rod that comes with starters should"just fit between pinion shaft and flex plate" use a whole shim if too tight ,,,1/2 shim on outside only if too far. I switched to a metric starter and the problem was solved...On this truck neither will give me the 1/8th I need...I will try one with the bolts across instead of on an angle.....Do you know a veihicle to ask for,,for a starter that will work???The guys at my part store are lost when it comes to something that is not stock and on the computer....
Thank you very much...
Old 02-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #15
53burb

I think the 153 tooth flexplate was used when GM first came out with the Hydramatic trannys in the mid-late sixties. I may be wrong on this. Somebody else knows for sure when this was. Anyways you could try a GM car or truck from that era with a THM (Turbo HyrdraMatic) tranny. What kind of tranny do you have, a Powerglide or THM?? I think Powerglides did use the 153 tooth flexplate. The Powerglide would be easy to ID. It has only Drive and Low forward speeds as opposed to Drive, Low 1, & Low 2 for THMs.

Last edited by 53burb; 02-03-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #16
cduster

I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone here will know. I heard the starter from a 4.3 will work, and it is smaller so less heat issues. Anyone know for sure?

Dan

Most experience comes from bad judgment.
cduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72-stomper
Do you know a veihicle to ask for,,for a starter that will work???The guys at my part store are lost when it comes to something that is not stock and on the computer....
First off, slow down there Buckaroo.

My first question is: Do you know what year motor you have? If not, finding your code and having it broke down will help in the long run.
Second Question: When you bought the truck what did the PO tell you about the drive train?
2a: Do you remember what he said?

Pardon the pun, but ya gotta do a little leg work before you can go off the deep end spending money on these starters and going back and forth to the parts store. Do some research on your Drive-Train before you make a move.

Oh and as far as the little Peckerwoods working at the parts store, forget that until you have a part number in hand. Chances are they only know Hondas or whatever Rice/APC product anyway.

Go find an Old Hot Rod guy/shop around town and get their help. You'll learn a lot more from the grizzled Hot Rod guys, then anyone, anywhere.

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #18
72-stomper

69blazr-
It is an older 350 cid? the dipstic is on drivers side....
700r4 trans
Tci flexplate
I will try to get the date code tonight...and count teeth...
Previous owner doesnt know much...
Thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
Tx Firefighter

It's dead simple.

There are two sets of starter bolt holes to choose from. They aren't even close. A straight across starter pattern for the small flywheel will not even bolt into place when you have a large flywheel.

If you have a small flywheel and you use the staggered pattern starter for the big flywheel, it will be miles away from the flywheel.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72-stomper
69blazr-
It is an older 350 cid? the dipstic is on drivers side....
I will try to get the date code tonight...Thanks
First, it's 96Blazr.

Okay, you need to get the Engine Cose, Block code, however you wanna say it, it's behind the Alt. Write that down, then get on here and look through the FAQ section and find the site that'll help you break it down. I don't remember which one it is, so GUYS HELP HIM OUT.
From that you'll find out what year you have (My guess, it's a 73 and later), then simply go back to the peckerwoods(or someone better) and look the damn thing up.

Or as I said before and your best bet , take it to a Hot Rod shop, you know, where all the Older gearheads hang out, and ask them to help you.

I don't know who told you, but "counting teeth" ain't got nothing to do with it. Just find out what year engine you have that's all.
By the way, I have a '77 Corvette 350 in my Truck and my Dipstick is on the Drivers side.

There you are.

Gary
Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #21
Tx Firefighter

Counting teeth is good advice.

Engine codes are fine, but who knows what is what nowdays. That will only give guideline as to what is engine had orginally. He says he has a TCI flexplate and a 700R4 trans. It's quite obvious stuff has been swapped around. The small and large flywheels freely interchange, so it's a crap shoot.

Generally, if I need a starter with offset patern for a large flywheel, I as for a mid 70's truck with a 350.

If I need a straight across pattern starter for a small flywheel, I ask for an early 90's 4.3 V6 starter.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #22
53burb

I am the one who said to count the teeth. Doesn't it make more sense to match the starter to the flexplate, than the starter to the block. Most SBC blocks have both patterns to bolt the starter to, so matching the starter to to the block can go either way because both flexplates will bolt to the crank. That is my reasoning for matching the starter to the flexplate...

Last edited by 53burb; 02-04-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #23
96blazr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Engine codes are fine, but who knows what is what nowdays. That will only give guideline as to what is engine had orginally. He says he has a TCI flexplate and a 700R4 trans. It's quite obvious stuff has been swapped around.
Of course "stuff has been swapped around". Sorry, but it's not a "Guideline" and "Who knows what is what nowadays" is just wrong. Knowing that code only works to your advantage, but I'm sure you..........nevermind.

First, since the Starter Bolts to the block it would make perfect sense to find out what YEAR that block is and get the CORRECT Starter, No matter what year truck he has.
Obliviously (Obliviously-Man to the rescue), what was in there Originally is long gone. Mine HAD a 327 and a 3 Speed, now it has a 350 with a 350.
Doesn't make a hoot of difference, cause when I get my new starter, I'll know exactly what to get when I walk into my nearest parts store.
I'll ask for a Starter for a 1977 Chevrolet Corvette 350/4-Barrel with Automatic. Just like this:

Starter
NSASTR-2522 NSA
Description: OEM Replacement New Starter, No Reused Components, Includes A Manufacturer's Two Year Warranty
Engine - Chassis:
5.7L, V8 GAS, CARB, VIN "L": Corvette
5.7L, V8 GAS, CARB, VIN "X": Corvette
Fit Note: w/Automatic Transmission

Now sure, he has a different flexplate and Tranny and since this is the case he should take it to someone a lot more experienced and knowledgeable. Which is why I said to research and get all the numbers you can. And that means off of everything, Tranny too, so you know EXACTLY what you have.
What year(s)?
What it came out of(Car, Truck)?
Hell, You might find out you have a factory HO 350 or you might find out you got a Smog-Dog, like mine You can find out what Edlebrock Intake and Carb will give the most bang for the buck.
You can also find out if your year Tranny had any Recalls and you can also find out what Shift kits will work.

Without any of this info, you're spinning your wheels, cause until you can find out exactly what you have, YOU don't know what you got.

There you are.

Gary
Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #24
Robert1970C20rstbukt

Funny, I'm having the same problem with my truck. The starter sounds like it's grinding the hell out of the flywheel too. It's a 1970 block, I was told that it has a 168T flywheel, staggered pattern starter with starter bolts. I actually had to grind the housing down so it would sit closer to the block. Does that mean I have the 153T flywheel on there? I'm not trying to pull a hijack here, just wanted to post this since the thread came up.

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck 454/SM465
1977 GMC C15 pickup 350/TH350
1970 Chevrolet C20 pickup 350/TH400
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 454/TH350
1969 GMC 8500 478M V6/5 spd winch truck
Robert1970C20rstbukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #25
kaycee

Count the teeth ,I have a 64 327 that came with the 153 tooth flywheel and straight across pattern.Since my rebuild I went to a 168 tooth /staggered pattern.And yes it is allso smart to find out what your engine is exactly #'s wise.Allso I have had to add shims in some starters and on other starters add shims to only the out side bolt.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote